Author Topic: What do you do?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: What do you do?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »
same here but I've been known to fly the other way when I saw either of them in trouble
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 03:55:20 PM »
Some really good answers in this thread, and some not so good ones as well.

Rule: Always engage the nearest enemy first.

Why?

You would have to get past him to get to the lead bandit anyway. Besides, even if you don't score heavily, he will break turn (unless he's an idiot). Either way, he's out of the fight for the time being.

Last week this same scenario presented itself. I was flying a P-51D, and had expended most of my ammo on a pair of B-17s and an earlier Spitfire. On my way to rearm, I spot a friendly Tiffie being pursued by a couple of F4Us (turned out to be F4U-4s). I'm at 8k and these guys are down near the deck. I only have ammo remaining in two inner-most guns, but enough to be a threat. I unload and head down behind the nearest f4U. Between 600 and 800 yards, I fire scoring some hits. This guys breaks hard right. I blow by at 450 mph.

I close on the other Corsair. I open fire at about the same range, again scoring some hits. This one is a bit stubborn and it takes a second short burst to convince him to evade. He also breaks hard right. I take the Mustang vertical, zooming up about 2k above the -4s and then spiral down, dropping in on one of them. He runs, doing aileron rolls. I fired the last of my ammo, taking off a flap and getting his oil. I call Winchester on the radio, angle left, unload and accelerate away while the second F4U does the old spray and pray at me from 1k out. Meanwhile, the fleeing Typhoon has reversed and he clobbers the F4U-4 that was shooting at me. I got an assist. About two minutes later, I get a second assist. If I had a fully battery of guns, both of these guys would have gone down. As it was, I was satisfied to help a teammate.

Always attack the nearest enemy.... As Dedalos pointed out, you can work your way forward, especially if the rear most is shot down or doesn't think to warn the leader.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 04:03:18 PM »
Fly very close to the trailer, roll my wings and scream "TRATATATATATATA" over range vox.
Then peal away.  :rofl
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Trailing con always.  Pop him and hope for the leader before he can say anything on squad channel. 

Same deal with a conga line.  Pick the trailer first then sweep the line (depending on altitudes of course).

Exactly what I do, and did last night.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »
Fly very close to the trailer, roll my wings and scream "TRATATATATATATA" over range vox.
Then peal away.  :rofl

And now for my windex and paper towel to clean Red Seal off the monitor  :lol :lol
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »
In real life, the wingman is the safe bet.  Make him vanish and then move on to the leader to do the same.  The wingman would be too busy trying to save his own bacon to even think of keying up and warning anyone while bullets are slicing through his plane. But, in this game people can key up anytime, falling in flames, in a parachute or even after death in a tower :rolleyes:.

With that in mind........

If they were in a good formation and flying the same type acft, I would take out the leader.   The leader is usually the more skilled one with higher rank and poses the biggest threat.  The leftover wingman would surely break but now it becomes 2 of you on one of him....the less skilled of the two and less likely to handle 2 cons at once compared to his leader.

The wingman would likely react in one of two ways:  1. Nervous that his leader just went *poof* and left him with 2 pissed off cons looking to do him the same to him and try to run away.  2. Get brave and try to avenge and impress his dead leader and do something stupid.

My theory anyway.  What would really happen is I would fire too high over the leader, hit my countryman and killshoot my own wing off and then the wingman would follow my wreckage down blasting away at it while his leader shouts at him to form back up and stop trying to steal his proxy. :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:30:59 PM by Roundeye »
"Rotorhed"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 06:16:51 PM »
I would come in hot and get them both to turn away from your bud and then sandwich them. Your going to still in all likely hood have alt which is stored E. Heck you may damage one or get a kill. Then you both can work them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter