Author Topic: relative locations for special resources (e.g. audio)  (Read 1807 times)

Offline wantok

• Copper Member
relative locations for special resources (e.g. audio)
« on: July 11, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »
I recently added this note to the wiki:

For missions with special mission resources such as audio files, if your Aces High installation is not in the default location (which is C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High II\ ), you will need to edit the .mis file. Find the Aces High II\offmiss\rising sun raiders.mis file in Windows Explorer and open it in a text editor such as Notepad. Now do a replace (Edit > Replace in Notepad), changing each C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High II\ to match your install location. Now save the .mis file.

It would be good to avoid mission players having to edit the .mis file.  So this is a feature/bugfix request, sudz - could the resource locations be defined as relative to the program root, rather than absolute paths?
Madina ... AHWiki

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: relative locations for special resources (e.g. audio)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »
The .res file is supposed to contain all those audio files so you don't have to worry about editing it.  So far, I have yet to be able to get the .res to work properly though.  That is why the entire "extras" folder had to be downloaded & included with my Raiders mission.  Same thing with my upcoming Winter Breakout mission.  In fact, I have yet to see anyone put out a mission with a working .res file with it.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:08:52 AM »
Wantok,

It's as USRanger says - the .res file should contain all the resources for the mission and no editing should be necessary.  I don't know what to say, though. This feature works in house and I haven't had the opportunity to find out what's going on with the current beta release.

The wiki should, however, reflect reality (and I appreciate all your work on it, btw). Maybe that entry should be labeled a work-around so when this bug does get fixed the entry won't be immediately out of date.

- Sudz

Offline wantok

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »

Good point, sudz, and thanks - I've added a note to the relevant pages now.
Madina ... AHWiki