Author Topic: Rudder pedal opinions wanted  (Read 1514 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Rudder pedal opinions wanted
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:20:30 PM »
I've just about reached a point where I am tired of the twisty stick rudder control.

I know for a fact that I'm not flying as well as I could if I had a set of pedals.

I'd be curious to hear other peoples' opinions on the various brands of pedals before I spend $100-$150 on a set.

Thanks in advance. :salute

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
Re: Rudder pedal opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »
I have the saiteks.works great...

Falcon23 :salute

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »
Check Ebay.... buy used and look for an old set of CH peds if you really don't want to spend a lot. You'll need a ps2 to usb adapter tho.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »
Dave, wish I still had my pedals, I'd give them to you.  Never did get the hang of them.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 07:54:47 PM »
Check Ebay.... buy used and look for an old set of CH peds if you really don't want to spend a lot. You'll need a ps2 to usb adapter tho.

CH never made a pedal that used the PS2 port, they were either analog or the current USB version.  In either case, the OP should have no problem using an old pair of CH Pedals since most computers still have a game port he could use.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »
I did forget what type of connection it was but either way you'll need a ____ to usb connector to make them work. I had two sets and two of my squad mates now use them since I bought new. They Love 'em

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 08:43:51 PM »
I bought a set of CH USB Pro Pedals from ProVantage for about $90.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 10:06:42 PM »
<--- Agree with Falcon23. I was gifted (forget who, but thanks) a set of CH peds about 5 years ago...never felt really comfortable with them. Bought a set of Saitek peds after that and finally was comfortable making the switch from a twisty stick to the peds. The Saitek peds have adjustable foot rests as well as tension springs. I highly recommend them.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 11:43:52 PM »
Saitek Pro Pedals here.

a bit of a learning curve for sure when coming from a twisty, but well worth the investment (of time and money)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 12:12:44 AM »
Saitek Pro Pedals here.

a bit of a learning curve for sure when coming from a twisty, but well worth the investment (of time and money)

Well, I can't quite get used to a twisty stick.  My wife laughs at me when I'm stomping a hole in the floor trying to kick the plane around.

Biggest problem I have with the twisty stick is I catch myself inputing some rudder even when I don't want to...  Messed with the deadband a bit, which helped, but I really think I just need to get some pedals.

Do those Saitek pedals have the toe brakes?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 12:30:56 AM »
I've never owned Saitek peddals, just a few different types of joysticks/throttles.  (X45, X52, and something earlier a few years ago).  Still, Max's observation doesn't really suprise me:

"Bought a set of Saitek peds after that and finally was comfortable making the switch from a twisty stick to the peds. The Saitek peds have adjustable foot rests as well as tension springs. I highly recommend them."

I'm using CH stuff right now and my big complaint (and a common one I've heard) is that the company seems to go with the "One Size Fits All" philosophy.  I found my Saitek controllers to be much more customizable (out of the box) and comfortable.  Of course you can always get creative with the CH gear to make it work for you.

OTOH, the Saitek controllers I've used weren't exactly durable.  They aren't bad compared to some other types, from what I've heard, but I've yet to hear a guy claim he's still using his original a decade later (watch one pop up now :D ).  I have no idea if their rudder pedals follow this trend or not, and if I recall, they're a fairly new product, so no one really does yet.

Then again, if you really like the feel of them better, even if you only get 3-4 years out of them, maybe the cost of replacing them is worth it to you?  Spread out over time that's not so bad.

You can probably find the Saitek peddals in your local best buy, and can likely find the CH ones in the home of your nearest fellow AH'er.  Maybe someone would be willing to let you sit down and try them?

It is kind of a big investment to just jump into, but on the bright side, no matter which way you go, you won't know what you're missing :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 12:36:12 AM »
[Do those Saitek pedals have the toe brakes?
[/quote]

Yes, you can use the brakes one of two ways.  a pedal for each brake, or if you lazy like me, I use the right pedal for both brakes.
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 12:45:28 AM »
Vudak cut yourself a piece of Styrofoam and glue it to the stick to raise your hand up a bit. After a couple of days the Styrofoam will conform to your hand.

or you could try applying a male enhancement product to the hand that holds your stick.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 12:46:42 AM »
Rudder pedals are HUGE if you fly fighters. They take some getting used to though. But , for getting inside an angle, jinking, or fine tuning an angle for a critical shot you almost have to have them. This will sound odd, but the hardest part about getting used to rudders will be resisting the tendency to over use them both in terms of the situations you use them in and the amount of rudder authority you apply when you do kick it.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 12:54:11 AM »
I agree with Zazen.

Percise rudder control is even more important if you're flying a fighter that has a slower roll rate like a P38.

The few students I've had that used a twisty stick had problems (unintentional snaproll mostly) and didn't really match up with someone that had pedals.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!