Author Topic: Graphics card for 100 bucks?  (Read 790 times)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Graphics card for 100 bucks?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 08:51:13 PM »
I can't remember exactly, but I don't think the wattage cracks 300.  I opened it up yesterday.
That's the kicker.  Even low end/older cards like an 8400gs or Radeon 2400-2600 require 350-400 minimum.  I would probably say the X1xxx series from ATI, but I'm having a hard time finding minimum power requirements for those.

You can get something like a 2600XT for $60 and you probably could find an okay power supply for $40.  However, I do not know if your computer/motherboard has a proprietary connection that only HP makes.  This would make getting a different power supply quite a bit harder.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »
  However, I do not know if your computer/motherboard has a proprietary connection that only HP makes.  This would make getting a different power supply quite a bit harder.

After a quick search the HP Media Center PC m7350n PC requires only 24-pin, Aux 4 pin, and comes with IDE 4-pin x5, Floppy cord x1, SATA x2.  So nothing odd about it :aok  found it from http://www.supernotebook.com/power-supply.php?psupart=2592
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
After a quick search the HP Media Center PC m7350n PC requires only 24-pin, Aux 4 pin, and comes with IDE 4-pin x5, Floppy cord x1, SATA x2.  So nothing odd about it :aok  found it from http://www.supernotebook.com/power-supply.php?psupart=2592
Good call!

Here's a good rated psu for $35 ($25 after rebate):  Thermaltak 430W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

Asus 2600XT $75 ($39.99 after rebate):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121082
*Even though its the slower 256mb DDR3 (not DDR4 version), it's a nice job from your current 6200
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »
I've taken a step up to a 580 Watt ATX (glad I picked the right one) power supply, and the Nvidia 8800 512 mb card over the 500 watt / 8600 stuff I was eying.  I've rationalized it so that when I finally do start building a new computer, I can re-swap out all the old parts to this computer.

Don't you dare try to convince me otherwise.   :D
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 05:07:03 PM »
Holy diddlying toejam.  I was bordering on near panic.  My plan was to put in the new power supply first, and then the video card, checking to see if the system would blow up in between.

I get the old one out, new one in and start plugging in the new plugs.  This was a squeak and a half as it was because the mother board power was hidden half way back up in the case.  I think my fingers on the right hand can now bend an extra 15 degrees back because of it.

Anyway, I start it up and get "Boot Disk Failure.  Insert boot disk."  toejam.  I specifically knew that my father didn't receive the boot up disk for this computer.  It was a shady purchase from a circuit city anyway.

I start panicking, looking for anything and everything that could be a boot disk.

Slowly it occurs to me that I didn't remember plugging in the hard drive.  I didn't remember unplugging it either, though.

I plug it in, boot her up, and see the same thing.  I check it again, and it's not seated.

Now on to the video card.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 05:17:03 PM »
Holy masking poop.  I was bordering on near panic.  My plan was to put in the new power supply first, and then the video card, checking to see if the system would blow up in between.

I get the old one out, new one in and start plugging in the new plugs.  This was a wench and a half as it was because the mother board power was hidden half way back up in the case.  I think my fingers on the right hand can now bend an extra 15 degrees back because of it.

Anyway, I start it up and get "Boot Disk Failure.  Insert boot disk."  poop.  I specifically knew that my father didn't receive the boot up disk for this computer.  It was a shady purchase from a circuit city anyway.

I start panicking, looking for anything and everything that could be a boot disk.

Slowly it occurs to me that I didn't remember plugging in the hard drive.  I didn't remember unplugging it either, though.

I plug it in, boot her up, and see the same thing.  I check it again, and it's not seated.

Now on to the video card.

Go into your bios laser and verify your "boot disk priority".   Make sure your HD is listed.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »
Go into your bios laser and verify your "boot disk priority".   Make sure your HD is listed.

Ditto, I've had this happen. Make sure all the connections are solidly in place.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »
Yup, I got all of them in place.  It was working when I posted that previous rant.

Now I got the new video card in.  Maybe I'm just not used to power, but I have the side of the case open, and it seems to be running hot.

What should I do to check it / fix it?

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
You could get a video card cooler. Best yet download true temp and check it out. I think True temp checks vc's. I'm sure there is some program that will tell you. Video cards do run hotter than about any other computer component. Read the manual. Oh wait, the program Ntune will tell you. You get that at nvidia's website or perhaps the manufacturers website. Also, I hope some one backs me up here. But your system will run cooler I believe with the case closed. That way air is pulled through it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 08:21:27 AM »
What makes you think it's running hot?  Are you getting temperature readings from your computer or are you sticking your had inside the case when it's running, or perhaps sticking your had behind the computer exhaust fans?

You can try using Speedfan to read your computer temperatures.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan434.exe

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 09:30:51 AM »
Those cards will run at ~70C (158 F), maybe higher under load.

Download a program called RivaTuner.  The card defaults the fan speed to 32% IIRC.  Riva will let you manually turn it up.  I run my 512 8800 GTS at 70% continuous and run at 50C or less under load.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
Ok.  Perhaps it was just me feeling the heat from the card itself.  I'll check the temperature later, and keep the case closed.

By the way, I've yet to even run Aces High at 1/5 the card's total capacity, but I'm up to approx 1/2 the useable RAM.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »
I've got my computer tucked under my desk by my feet.  The desk has a 3/4 length back and the heat being blown out the back of he computer hits that and circulates back out toward me. Even in a cool house I'll get warm sitting at the computer, especially if it's under load. 

I bought a small fan that I use to blow that warm air down so that it clears the back of the desk then rises up the wall behind the desk instead of coming back toward me and it makes a big difference.

You've got the motherboard north bridge, the CPU, the video card and the power supply all generating heat and it adds up.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.