Author Topic: Historical WW2 sites that you live near.  (Read 875 times)

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Re: Historical WW2 sites that you live near.
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 07:19:28 PM »
Some interesting stuff you guys have!

I'm a couple of short bus rides from a former Canadian De Havilland plant where they built many of the Allies' Mosquitoes.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 08:20:48 PM »
<---Live just a few miles from Pearl Harbor and several other historic sites.

Work in Guam, Saipan, Palau, Trukk, Phonepei, Kosrae, Kwajalein, Majuro, Manilla, and Japan in addition to Hawaii.

DJ229 - AIR MAFIA
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
 Live in Staten Island, NY. About 1 hour away from U.S.S Intrepid.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline 47th/312thbgl_KABAYO

• Zinc Member
      • 47th/312th Bomb Group Light
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:00 AM »
I live in Philippines!! I am only a hour flight from any of the Famous Battles sites like Corregidor,Bataan,Clark field, Leyte Island and Leyte Gulf. I live where the one of the Battles of
Leyte Gulf took place. I live in Surigao City, Surigao del Norte Province on Mindanao Island. My wife province is on Dinagat Island where the Battle for Surigao Strait took place on the early morning hours of Oct.25th,1944 took place. Her village is straight across from where the American PT Boats first started the attack on the Japanese Southern Force.
Also on the northern beaches of Surigao you can see Leyte Island. In fact Leyte Island is just about an hour from where I live by boat. So I live where some of the greatest battles took place. Especially the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
Kabayo

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 02:12:37 AM »
Currently Live in Urbana Ohio & did work for Grimes aerospace. They made just about all interior & exterior lighting on all American manufactured aircraft during WW11. At one point 85% of all aircraft lighting came from Urbana.

Offline xOLLYx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 02:54:37 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._312_Squadron_RAF

i live about 10 mins drive from liverpool airport(JL airport) where the 312 squadron where based at the start of battle of britan
they where Czechoslovakian squadron and they flew the Hurricane Mk. I- and shot down a ju88 over liverpool by Alois Vašátko  :salute
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alois_Va%C5%A1%C3%A1tko