Author Topic: Of points and kills  (Read 138 times)

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

Of points and kills
« on: May 18, 2001, 01:06:00 PM »
Now that kills are awarded with game altering points, I think the kill award system should be revisited.
A couple examples:
Fighter A attacks Bomber B.  Bomber B gunning, removes wing of Fighter A as Fighter A does the same to bomber B.  Both planes fall from the sky.  But bomber B breaks up before Fighter A, so Fighter A gets the kill, and the points, while Bomber B gets squat.  Not right.
To fighters hit each other in a HO Both fighters are unflyable.  The pilot that bails first gets squat, the guy that rides the burning wreck down gets the points and the kill.  Not right. (this also works for collisions).

Muttz

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Of points and kills
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
Because of this "flaw" in the kill scoring, some people will wait until the last second before bailing hoping the other guy will bail first to get the kill credit. Kinda screwy I know. However, sometimes I've seen where both of us die within a few seconds we BOTH get credit for killing each other but I don't know what the rule is for this to happen.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Of points and kills
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2001, 04:20:00 PM »
Yeah, but if you actually learn to avoid the head-on attack, you'll avoid those kinds of scenarios, Spitlead.

That's the only way they occur, apart from the occasional collision.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Nexus

Of points and kills
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2001, 04:31:00 PM »
Perhaps it would be better if a new category were established - a "Shot Down" category.

This is the status given to a pilot when a major aircraft part is destroyed (specifically, wing, engine [all engines for multi-engine planes], elevator, rudder).

Even though the pilot may be able to ditch and live - the status is still "Shot Down".

The reasoning behind this is, in real combat, once a plane exits the fight severly damaged and/or out of control, the side doing the damage usually counts it as a kill.

The pilot causing such damage would be awarded a kill - immediately.  

This would mean - pilots don't have to ride the wreck down hoping the other will bail first.

Once pilots are marked as "Shot Down", they don't get any additional points by riding their wreck down as a result of someone they damaged getting killed or a bomb they released finally hitting the target.

The first one to score a cripling blow - gets the kill.  

It's then a matter how many points the looser wants to salvage. Die in flames, ditch, or bail.

As for collisions - I would recommend subtracting points from scores, except if the pilot is already marked as "shot down".

For example,

Dweeb #1 and Dweeb #2 go nose to nose for a HO shot.

Guns ablazing, Dweeb #1 gets lucky and shoots off Dweeb #2's wing.  Dweeb #1 immediately gets the kill, and Dweeb #2 is marked "Shot Down" - although still alive and able to bail.

However, the two airplanes collided.

Points are subtracted from Dweeb #1's score. Dweeb #2 doesn't loose any points because he's already marked as "Shot Down" - besides his plane is out of control, how could he avoid it.

So the net sum is both dweebs get nothing, mainly for being HO dweebs.

In this system, intentionally ramming will cause both pilots to loose points. Well, a good pilot will know how to avoid a collision just like he would know how to avoid getting hit by a HO dweeb.

Nexus

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Of points and kills
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2001, 05:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dowding:
Yeah, but if you actually learn to avoid the head-on attack, you'll avoid those kinds of scenarios, Spitlead.

That's the only way they occur, apart from the occasional collision.

I have only been here a few months, but I don't think this is always true.  I very seldom fire head on and I have seen this two times.  One was when I and a tail gunner were hosing each other.  And the other was a kill right before I augered.  Both times we both died about the same time.

Gunner <CAF>
GunrCAF
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Of points and kills
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2001, 08:06:00 PM »
a victory score and a score for number of enemy pilots shot.

airframe/pilot k/d  

------------------
Hazed
9./JG54