Author Topic: Distance/plane tags  (Read 180 times)

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
Distance/plane tags
« on: September 03, 2000, 10:32:00 PM »

I'll probably get fragged for this but  

Why not change the distance tags to feet?  And in doing so shorten the distance the tag is visable.  

Now I've always played with tags that were in feet.  So when I first came here, I was perplexed why my guns didn't reach out to 1.2k (my thought of 1200ft)..hehe.

Now for players that have always used this system I know it probably wouldn't be welcomed, but for players that haven't or those that are totally new to online flight games it can be confusing.

When I 1st spot a tag, I have to try and calculate in my head how many feet difference I have on the bogey.  And I suck at math    When someone ask me how high a con is I just have to guess quickly.

If tags could be chosen as feet (and ppl could still use yards/meters) I'd be Kosher with that also.  

Now for this second part, don't get me wrong, I like finding out after a shoot down, who it was (if I was lucky to down a DD or MSKT..hehe) but I don't necessarily like knowing what plane it is until I can ID it.

If I see a high con pop up at max Distance and see a 109...my response is going to be much different than if I saw a P-38.  I would personally rather see who I'm fighting than what type of AC their flying.  And if their wondering what you have, you can use that to ur ultimate advantage.  

Just idea's.

Wingnut

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Distance/plane tags
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2000, 11:29:00 PM »
and we don't have even metric system yet for planes that needs one...

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
Distance/plane tags
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2000, 11:37:00 PM »

Originally posted by Fishu:
and we don't have even metric system yet for planes that needs one...

Great time to do both  

Wingnut

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Distance/plane tags
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2000, 11:50:00 PM »
I believe yards was chosen because it's very close to a meter (and thus all is relative)  

Or the HTC crew are a bunch of yokels like me who give everything in yards, even when it should be feet.

- Jig

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Distance/plane tags
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2000, 07:47:00 AM »
Yards is fine by me.

Open up below 300, and you won't have a problem with conversion.  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
Distance/plane tags
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
Yards is fine by me.

Open up below 300, and you won't have a problem with conversion.  

Opening up isn't really my main problem.  I have more trouble judging how far below or above someone is.  If I'm flying and see someone below me for example, I have to look at my alt..then look at their tag and then try to figure out what their alt is by converting their tag.  I manage but if you asked me how much alt I just lost I'd have no clue what to tell you until I broke out the calculator..hehe  

Though I said change, if ppl had the option to change the tag between feet/yard/meters I think that would be great.  Whether that is done by key stroke or by a button option for measurements on the clipboard.

Wingnut

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Distance/plane tags
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2000, 01:12:00 PM »
I doubt they still said distance to the target by feets, even though if altitude was by feets.

Nuku

Distance/plane tags
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2000, 08:35:00 PM »
I've often wondered what the best way to deal with the icon issue myself.  

One of the things that's a real problem is that in the real war, everyone already new what they were up against, and which direction they were coming from.

E.g. if you're flying a Spitfire East across the Channel, and see dots, you KNOW that they're FW190, 109s, or maybe JU-88s: not zekes, or unfriendly C-Hogs.  You will set yourself for an angles fight on the LW fighters because that's the best way to do it.  No worry about setting up for an angles fight and finding yourself toe-to-toe with a Ki-43 or another spitfire!

Visual acuity is better in real life as well. I can make out the difference between a 747, a twin-engine turboprop, or a piston single at 2-3 miles or more (that's over 5k yards!).  I can even tell the difference between high and low wing aircraft.  What I can't tell is the difference between a Cessna 172, 182, or 150 at that distance: and they all perform differently.

Then you have the color palette and finite pixel problem.  In real life, I can clearly see a white airplane against a white cloud (even from 6 oclock).  At 1024x768x65536: good luck.

AH has a zoom ability, which compensates well for the shrunk view area for our monitors, and 1.04 will bring in the controversial padlock ability (so I've heard).  You could use the padlock to swing the focus on a dot, and zoom to ID, and take away the long range ID.  Without padlock, this is impossible because you'd zoom in, miss the dot, and flail around looking around for it.

funked

Distance/plane tags
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2000, 09:41:00 PM »
Current icons give us IFF and range at about 5 miles.  Plus the giant billboard which makes it amazingly easy to get a tally.  The total area in which your icon is visible is over 80 square miles.  Do you guys really think humans have this sort of vision?

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
Distance/plane tags
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2000, 02:47:00 AM »
I live on 35th street in chicago, and I could see F-18s at north beach from 35th street beach. Thats 5 miles. Could i tell if they were f18 or f16 or whatever? nope. Could i *clearly* tell there was an aircraft there? Sure could. And no they weren't always trailing smoke  

But from a mile or so away (museum campus) I could easily tell plane type from plane type (welllll not easily.. but telling radial from in-line etcera was easy at a glance, and by looking for a second or 2 you could distinguish actuual plane type (20/50 vision corrected to 20/20)

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
Distance/plane tags
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2000, 08:23:00 AM »
Hiya Wingnut!

I know that at first the distance measurement can take a bit of getting used to but it just takes awhile and you wont be bothered by it. Not sure if its a matter of resources or programming time that keeps it from being selectable, but I would rather see NEW features come out than them spend the time to work that right now. As far as the icons go I agree. My personal wish would be that the only enemy indicator would be a red country icon and distance tag(up until 1k where it would disappear).
Knowing who they are is enough, finding out WHAT they are should be part of the pucker factor  

JimBear
VMF111 =DevilDogs=