Author Topic: AvA newb's welcome..but  (Read 644 times)

Offline xOcet

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.datamedics.com/2ndmaw
AvA newb's welcome..but
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:44:57 PM »
A solution for that dude who moves hard on the HO is to roll infinte then break.  But keep in mind of all the megagigabytes of historical wwii gun cams on the net you will find fighter vs. fighter head on attacks almost non-existant.

they (wwii fighters) figured better than 50/50 odds and approached from an angle.

if ya have video proof otherwise please post!

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
Re: AvA newb's welcome..but
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 02:24:45 PM »
It takes two to HO.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »
easily avoidable, only a problem when your in a 1v3 and you keep turning into them. Also I was surprised how many articles and quotes from U.S. pilots that used/preferred or said it was a regular shot.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
But keep in mind of all the megagigabytes of historical wwii gun cams on the net you will find fighter vs. fighter head on attacks almost non-existant.

Maybe so..... but there are just as much if not more combat debriefings from WW2 pilots that described in vivid detail about taking out enemy aircraft with HEAD ON ATTACKS. For a simple example - try the 49th FG History put out by Osprey. Many descriptions in there of Japanese planes being shot down in head on attacks.

IMHO, the HO is a legitimate attack (volumes of proof that it was carried out by WW2 pilots) though the slightly off angle head to head shot is better as you can get guns on the Bandit but he can't return the favor. If you have a real problem with this - best to follow Tango's advice - TAKES TO TO HO AS WELL AS TANGO.   :D

:salute
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline xOcet

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:09:13 PM »

volumes of proof that it was carried out by WW2 pilots
 :salute

I just need to know if there is a video out there.  So far unobtainable by me  (typical WWII aviation junkie)  But based on the lack of, might imply they almost never happened, unlike our game. 

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
I just need to know if there is a video out there.  So far unobtainable by me  (typical WWII aviation junkie)  But based on the lack of, might imply they almost never happened, unlike our game. 
More likely that gun-cam footage of a snapshot with a closing rate of 600mph is not nearly as dramatic as footage of a plane moving away from the camera slowly disintegrating . . .
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline xOcet

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
closing rate of 600mph

Good point but lots of raw bobbling footage out on the net.  Convergance of 300mph might show something to be seen.  If anyone ever comes across one please post.
Thanks

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 05:18:49 AM »

Must be a younger "youtube" generation thing, "If it's not on video, it didn't happen", even though if you read the historical accounts it did happen.  Does it make for good video? Of course not, so folks aren't going to bother converting the tape to digitial video.  Did it happen as much as in this game?  No, but that is as much a fault of the game setup as anything.  In real life 80-90% of pilots that were shot down never new they were in danger until they were under attack.  In here with the Linda Blair head moves, bionic ears and unrealistic radar, head-on (or front quarter) merges are the norm.

But like was said before, by definition it takes two to HO so if you don't like it, don't do it.

Offline meandog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 09:06:26 AM »
Just a thought of why there is no vid of the HO. The camera was operated with the gun trigger. Now seeing as it was a HO there is not going to be a confirmed kill on vid. Not saying there is no vid of it at all, it's just prob under a pile of other films that was more impressive.