Author Topic: Concussive Force  (Read 516 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Concussive Force
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:58:25 PM »
One of the biggest complaints about bombing ground vehicles is that bombs have no effect unless they are spot on. Also planes that still follow the habit of passing through planes in their attacks are not realistic. I believe adding concussive force would help in both areas to add realism and overall satisfaction.  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Concussive Force
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:45:36 AM »
By 'passing through planes' I mean after they explode. I think a combat pilot would not want to be close to the debris and blast areas.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:10:54 AM »
One of the biggest complaints about bombing ground vehicles is that bombs have no effect unless they are spot on. Also planes that still follow the habit of passing through planes in their attacks are not realistic. I believe adding concussive force would help in both areas to add realism and overall satisfaction.  :D
you do not have to be right on target, i dive bombed a panzer once in an f6f and it was 10 feet off but it still died. it takes practice and the only people who have this problem are the ones to lazy yo parctice
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
bombs already have splash modelled - eg. 500lb dropped 20yd from a flak will waste it.

if you hit the destroyed plane before the pilot ejects you will get collision damage, if you hit debris, or the bulk of the plane after he's bailed, you wont.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:58:55 AM »
I have hit a tiger directly on the turret with one-thousand pound bombs and gotten no kill. I dont need to practice but I do think concussive force help on near misses by rolling tanks and other effects.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »
There's a film of a 1000lb bomb bouncing off a Tiger somewhere.  It's pretty funny.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »
... but I do think concussive force help on near misses by rolling tanks and other effects.

like I said, splash damage is modelled.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:51:42 PM »
i had a stuka bomb bounce off a tiger at like 20 degrees offline

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:36 PM »
like I said, splash damage is modelled.

I dont believe the two are the same thing.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:05:53 PM »
Chalenge, I wish I knew where I saw the discussion on it so I could search for it (I believe it was in the WWIIOL forums when I played there, in which case I'd never be able to find it anyway) but what I recall is someone putting forth some pretty compelling evidence indicating that near misses were not very effective in real life against heavily armored vehicles, either.

Does anyone here recall such a discussion?

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 05:07:24 AM »
A near miss would give the crew a hell of a headake at least.

my tigers die from a poxy bomb off a la7 so i dont think theres any thing wrong with them. :confused:
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 10:30:30 AM »
By 'passing through planes' I mean after they explode. I think a combat pilot would not want to be close to the debris and blast areas.

I see.  You're just a closer tater-hater!