Author Topic: HT - A means to a grunty end...  (Read 226 times)

Offline kfsone

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.kfs.org/~oliver
HT - A means to a grunty end...
« on: May 22, 2001, 12:08:00 AM »
Transplanted from the general board:

Allow the C47 / M3 / Amphib to carry either 1 or 2 squads of troops (either 1 x 10 or 2 x 5). Squad-leaders can be player controlled. So an M3 can pull up outside a field and deploy two seperate groups of 5 men who will follow their human leader. They won't be auto-gunners, but the human player will be able to fire a small calibre gun.

You already have the graphic for troops, you already have a troop-model for player movement. You can use weapon-cycle to model rounds of magazine, and the code to delay weapon firing could be a base for later jam-modelling of gun temperatures.

Allow players to launch troops from fields with an intact barracks, make the "training" stat of the country affect the launch-rate of troops for a given player (or field?).

Incentives given to players:

. Ground vehicles at the field for anti-troop combat.
. Ground vehicle patrols to look out for sneaky troops trying to get into position.
. More association between pilots and drivers because they occasionally play troop themselves.
. Presence of lurking troops at a field might encourage bombers to occasionally carpet a field with a nice barrage.

It's not that far away from being feasible, unless you'd feel it neccessary to animate the troops from day 1 (I don't think you would), model head-bob (I think we could wait for that) or do other clever stuff.
. If the troops can re-board the M3 then players have a tactical withdrawl option for troops, and you have also implemented the feature that gives players SAR features =)

I think most of us would find a 'fire' button on the current chute/troop model awesome fun (a pistol only while you are in your chute?) Maybe in the version after you add this change the ground-graphic to have his gun poiting forwards.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2001, 03:48:00 AM »

Originally posted by kfsone:
... So an M3 can pull up outside a field and ...

That would imply 15 or more mins walking for the undefended gound troops (at the speed we actually walk when bailed out).

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2001, 04:15:00 AM »
 If we are given the same walking speed as the paras have now, whats the diff?
 Another thing I noted is that we would be able to use wrecked hangers as cover to get to the maproom. I like the idea because it would now truely take 2- 3 players to take a field. None of this single player captures of ports and fields.

And for us squadless players it would finally make us feel like we belong  
 A squad(AI intelligence not much unlike the FDB's)that we can call our own if only for 15 mins.      

[This message has been edited by Ping (edited 05-22-2001).]
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
when was the last time you took a field alone? doesnt seem to happen these days if you ask me.Not unless the numbers are way down in the country you are fighting.

------------------
Hazed
9./JG54

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2001, 08:22:00 AM »
 It happens when there are few people on in the early hours. Knock out all the ack, auger, then slip in your favourite means of para-transpo.
 But this says nothing of your feelings on the idea. Or is change bothersome?

I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Nexus

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
Add to that list, Bazookas and handgrenades to take out GVs.

Nexus

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »
ping  

change bothersome? i suggest you read some of my replies to other posts.I have often said im all for change and introduction of new ideas, in fact i crave it  
theres always the option of changing back if things dont work out.
as for squads i think it could work but i dont rate their chances much when you can hardly sneak in with a 50mph M3 let alone on foot.unless of course the troops are not shown on radar(!!! ) yes radar is perfect right down to the ground.

------------------
Hazed
9./JG54

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2001, 04:06:00 PM »
 Points noted Hazed  
 Squads should not show up on dar. That seems to be the biggest limiting factor here doesnt it ..DAR..
 WWII Radar surely coudlnt pick up a group of 10 guys right? Dar already showed that a vehicle of some sort was in the area, so leave the paras off dar altogether.
 I like the suggestions of explosive charges and Bazookas, we could have a real blast taking a base  
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2001, 05:04:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ping:

And for us squadless players it would finally make us feel like we belong  
 A squad(AI intelligence not much unlike the FDB's)that we can call our own if only for 15 mins.      

[This message has been edited by Ping (edited 05-22-2001).]

Do I see a thinly-veiled shot in there somewhere?  

------------------
Sling322
Fat Drunk "Chute Shooting" Bastards