Author Topic: need some input  (Read 689 times)

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
need some input
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a new PC, but I don't want to spend too much.  My existing computer just can't seem to handle anything: can't use the mic, AHigh.exe file gets lost,.....

Anyways, what I'd like to know is, if I went to BestBuy like tomorrow, and bought a computer off the shelf, which one can I pick up???  I know in the front page, they tell you what system is needed, but that information often seems dated. 

MUGADAI of the MUNGADAI WARRIORS

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: need some input
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:51:38 AM »
wrong forum.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:37:14 AM »
Very few of us would do that. Those machines will come with Vista and bloatware. Buying a new computer is like buying a new car, you'll be stuck with it for years so do your homework or you'll be unhappy until you dump it.

Try the Hardware forum.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:19:33 AM »
The only reason I put it here in this forum is that I only play AvA, and I have built trust with some of the players here.  I highly value their input and knowledge. 

MUGADAI

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »
When was the last time you performed a scandisk and and defrag? What are your current PC specs? YOu may find that simple upgrading will fix your machine.

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »
Mugadai,
    id start with the largest processor, duo-core, most ram--1gig or more, largest harddrive 100gig or more that you can find for the money you can afford. look for a machine with a good video card like Nvidia in it. a 128meg nvidia card would probably be fine, but get bigger if possible. hope this helps. feel free to PM me anytime with questions. thats what i do for a living--  :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:25:48 PM by captain1ma »

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »
Jagerschnitzel

I knew you were a computer geek and thnks for the advice, but what you are suggesting is an expensive option.  I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.  I'm thinking of spending 400 to 500 bucks.  When I c.c. the Hardware forum, they talk in that computer geek language that only Trekkie or some StarWars groupie would understand.  What's the problem with the Vistas?  Aren't all the new computers come in with Visas in their Windows???

MUGADAI of the ONE AND ONLY MUNGADAI WARRIOR

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 08:53:51 AM »
XAKL,

I bought a new rig last year about this time. Luckily my budget at the time allowed me to get what I wanted.
If you're on a limited budget, and believe me I've been there. My only suggestion would be bump your budget against what's available at retail places like Best Buy or Circut City. Here's a link to a BB PC in about your price range.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=KQ495AA%23ABA&aoid=14655&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=07-6689413

Bump the specs of the machine against the minimum requirements HTC post for AHII. get as much as you can for the price. I have Vista on my PC and it hasn't been that bad of a experiance. You just have to learn new things in some cases. Plus some of your old favorte software may not work on Vista.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 09:14:29 AM »
Jagerschnitzel

I knew you were a computer geek and thnks for the advice, but what you are suggesting is an expensive option.  I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.  I'm thinking of spending 400 to 500 bucks.  When I c.c. the Hardware forum, they talk in that computer geek language that only Trekkie or some StarWars groupie would understand.  What's the problem with the Vistas?  Aren't all the new computers come in with Visas in their Windows???

MUGADAI of the ONE AND ONLY MUNGADAI WARRIOR

i saw a machine at staples for $329. duo core. not much of a video card, 1 gig of ram and a 120 gig harddrive. might be right up your alley if you have a staples near you. its probably a decent machine for the money. if not, shop sams club, costo, or some of those cheaper warehouse's. walmarts is always an option too. also if you need a normal translation for geek talk, let me know, im happy to put in plain english for you... :)

Offline 71313

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 08:33:13 PM »
always cheaper to build it yourself,then you can make it exactly as you want.
handle the business,before the business handles you

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 09:25:38 PM »
I wouldn't say cheaper, very difficult to match the volume buying the big boys can do.  But you can definitely get exactly what you want.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:47:10 PM »
 The best computer you can get for the money is the one you build yourself. You can build a good AH compatible game computer for less than $600. 

Current stable;
 AH computer; Antec 900 case, Asus M2n Deluxe SLI, 3.2Ghz AMDx2 chip, 2GB Ram, 8800GTS VC, 150GB Raptor 10k HD, Creative labs sound card, 750 watt PSU, CH Products Joy,Throttle, Pedals, 24 inch Samsung Monitor

Backup(gaming,video editing); Full tower case(w 2-250mm Fans), XFI MB, Q6600 2.4Mhz chip, 4GB Ram,
2-8800GTX VC, Creative Labs Sound Card, 2-150GB Raptor 10k HDs (Raid O) 1-40 WD HD 7.2k, 1000 Watt PSU, Water Cooled.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:03:56 AM by alskahawk »