Author Topic: Run your car on water??????  (Read 12582 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Run your car on water??????
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 06:31:34 PM »
Hornet,

Since mileage increase is one of the main points to the gadget did the dyno folks get a run on fuel usage at power? Specifically using a measured amount of fuel at a given power setting to determine how long / far the vehicle would travel for that amount of gasoline? That way testing after modification could prove if there was a measurable change in fuel usage.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »
Yes they did. They hooked up a digital flow meter to the fuel input line at the intake manifold to messure true fuel flow into the engine. They had sensors hooked up all over the truck. They were also checking the emissions, manifold pressure, engine water and oil temp, as well as current draw on the battery and alternator. Test was run with lights on, radio turned on, and AC on normal at half fan speed to test everything at "normal" engine load conditions. They were pretty much looked at everything. Like I said I was there for around 2 hours with the truck on the rack.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 07:50:36 PM »
If this works, and is even workable under the hood of a car, how comes it isn't used as a powerplant?????????
I mean, land based, under completely controllable conditions (compared to tap water and sodium etc)...if it's so simple, why not used??

Because to use the electrolisis system to creat hydrogen actually take more pure electrical power to creat than what you get out of it. So far no one has been able to use the hydrogen produced and turn that into enough electrical power to sustain the electrolisis hydrogen generation, let alone have power left over to put into the electrical grid.

What is being done with the vehicle boosters doesn't fall into that category though. We're using the excess available electrical power from the vehicles alternator to generate the hydrogen and that is being pumped into the engine as a supplemental fuel in addition to regular gasoline. This allows you to lean the fuel mix with the regular gas yet still retain the original engine power and performance, with the side benefit of less emissions, engine runs cooler saving the engine oil, and a increase in fuel mileage. Depending on how well the booster is built, the output achieved from the booster and how well the engines computer is able to be tuned and adjusted for the new fuel air mix, will detiremine how much of an increase you see. Some cars do better than others and there are a bunch of different systems out there. I honestly don't expect to get over 20mpg when mine is installed but seeing as I ONLY get 11mpg right now during my "normal" driving, any increase will help. If I can get 15-20mpg after the install, that is a big improvment that will save me money down the road.

Figure my commute is 10 miles one way, I'm using almost 2 gallons of gas a day just to get back and forth to work. Call it $6 a day just for work. Now if I can cut that almost in half, say $4 a day to get back and forth to work, well in one month that's around $50.  Now these are all round figures right now, but who couldn't use an extra $50 a month, maybe more? Who wouldn't like getting an extra 50-60 miles out of a tank of gas? Might not seem like much but considering these things don't take allot of money to build and operate they can pay for themselves quickly and save you money down the road.......if you build it and maintain it right.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »
i think  everyone that doesn't believe this can work, is either overlooking, or missing one thing.

although we're looking to inject a gas into the engine, we're not looking to replace air. with the injected gas, we can also adjust the computer to inject less gasoline. the hho gas will replace that, and still allow us to produce the same power from the engine.

although you;re going to bring up the amp draw now, that is fairly insignificant. the alternator on the average car only costs 3 to 5 horsepower when it is fully loaded. most vehicles are equipped with 100 to 120 amp alternators. in the case of hornet;s dodge, i think it's a 100 amp unit.

with his a/c on high, wipers, and hi beams on, he'll load the alt. enough to run at about 70 amps i think. now add in the 20 amp draw from the booster, and he's still below the max output of the alternator.
 top that off with the fact that the alt. will run at that output till the battery is at full charge, and it will lower it's output.

so for the cost of less than 5 horspower, if one can gain even just 20% in mileage, i think that has to be a winning deal.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »
My truck has the towing package installed with the heavy duty 140 amp alternator. I very rarely tow anything so I'm not even coming close to pushing the alternator to it's limits. I've got more excess power at my fingertips than I know what to do with. 20 amps is nothing. The previous owner towed a travel trailer with electric brakes on it so he installed the heavy duty alternator and K&N cold air intake to boost performance. I'm just taking it a step further.

We'll see.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 12:11:22 AM »
i think  everyone that doesn't believe this can work, is either overlooking, or missing one thing.

although we're looking to inject a gas into the engine, we're not looking to replace air. with the injected gas, we can also adjust the computer to inject less gasoline. the hho gas will replace that, and still allow us to produce the same power from the engine.

although you;re going to bring up the amp draw now, that is fairly insignificant. the alternator on the average car only costs 3 to 5 horsepower when it is fully loaded. most vehicles are equipped with 100 to 120 amp alternators. in the case of hornet;s dodge, i think it's a 100 amp unit.

It takes more power to make the HHO fuel than you get when you burn the fuel.

So,
with the injected gas, we can also adjust the computer to inject less gasoline.
No, you have to inject enough gasoline to make the power required to electrolyze the water to make your HHO.  And we know that this is more than you retrieve when you burn the HHO.

The only way this system could possibly help is if it somehow makes the gasoline burn more efficient.  This has yet to be seen.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 12:14:07 AM »
I tried to run my car on water once.

Was running from the cops.  The car sank straight to the bottom once I got on the water.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 12:24:11 AM »

that assumes everything else is running at a very high efficiency. The idea seems to be that engines run at low enough of an efficiency that the improvements  caused by  burning the HHO is greater than the decrease in efficiency caused by a minor load on the alternator and added weight of the water.  While there is bound to be a net energy loss, it may manifest in a part of the picture they are not concerned with...as long as they get that few extra miles out of a gallon of gasoline.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 12:25:17 AM »
that assumes everything else is running at a very high efficiency.

No, it assumes that the 2nd law of thermodynamics is valid.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 04:25:38 AM »
The excess electricity, okay...
But if the alternator is being squeezed for every available amper, isn't it heavier anyway, hence more fuel consumption?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 04:42:43 AM »
What makes the alternator spin? What gives it it's energy?

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 06:58:17 AM »
The connection with the engine swingwheel via the fan belt...typically...
Always thought the Alternator took less muscle when not or hardly charging at all (cutout), after all, just the ignition and even the front lights only take a part of the amps. You'd typically have like say 90 amps at 14v or so, giving you a close to 1KW which is only 1.36 hp.
So is it or is it not heavier when running idle?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 07:48:28 AM »
What makes the alternator spin? What gives it it's energy?

Funding.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 08:07:48 AM »

So,  No, you have to inject enough gasoline to make the power required to electrolyze the water to make your HHO.  And we know that this is more than you retrieve when you burn the HHO.

The only way this system could possibly help is if it somehow makes the gasoline burn more efficient.  This has yet to be seen.

there will still be enough gasoline injected. it wil be supplemented by the hho. so, with this supplement, less gasoline, still same power. as long as the engine is running, the alternator will keep the battery charged, and run the electrical system. the electricity is what creats the hho gas.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 08:09:34 AM »
I tried to run my car on water once.

Was running from the cops.  The car sank straight to the bottom once I got on the water.
:rofl :rofl :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"