Author Topic: Need help identifying an old WWII helmet.  (Read 845 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need help identifying an old WWII helmet.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »
My money is on this one ...

UNITED KINGDOM civil defence helmet

This is a fibre helmet, with a standard British mk1 liner. It isn't a particularly strong item, but would protect against falling objects. As it is fibre throughout it would be essential in areas with electrical hazards.
It has an extra, thicker, layer of the same fibre across the crown of the shell.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 09:17:29 AM »
Dunn & Co was one of many hat makers under contract to manufacture "pressed fibre" civil defense helmets to a government pattern during the war.

You can read a bit about Dunn & Co and its current status here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19961220/ai_n14072260

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
Thanks for all the help folks!  I'm very surprised that the British were using a "pressed fibre" material during the war.  Then again, with the restrictions of metals used for planes, ships, and tanks, it actually makes sense.

<S>
Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron