Author Topic: Gunner position keys  (Read 168 times)

Offline kfsone

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.kfs.org/~oliver
Gunner position keys
« on: June 27, 2000, 04:58:00 AM »
It would be really nice if the gunnery positions were organised according to position in aircraft, and then, accordingly, mapped to the numeric keypad with the shift key or something.

What I'm thinking is to make it so that, for example, the nose gun in a b17 would be '8'. The left gun 4, the top turret 5 and the ball turret 0, tail turret 2, right turret 6.

Whilst I realise the keys can be remapped, the gun positions can't, so remapping them for one aircraft would only confuse them for the next...

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Gunner position keys
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2000, 06:55:00 AM »
kfsone.. you have hit on a long-standing pet complaint of mine ... why we don't have the same positions mapped to the same keys for all buffs.

Key 4 in a B17 is the tail gunner
Key 3 in a B17 is the top gunner

It should be exactly the same in every bomber.  If a particular bomber did not have a gun position (e.g. ball gunner in B26) just leave that key assignment vacant for that plane.

And for the life of me I cannot work out why HTC didn't do it this way in the first place!

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
Gunner position keys
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2000, 12:15:00 PM »
I have posted this problem in the past and Hitech explained that it would not be that easy to change. I think we are all under the impression that all they have to do is change the position numbers in the code such that they all correspond to the same gunner positions in each bomber, but he indicated it wasn't that easy.

As a result all we can do is wait and see if they can get the positions all set the same for each bomber type.

They are aware of it.

Ranger Bob

Offline kfsone

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.kfs.org/~oliver
Gunner position keys
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2000, 04:16:00 PM »
I hope that they tackle this before thinking about otto code... I personally LIKE having no otto, but having the guns track for me like they do... if I could reliably switch gun positions that would be so nice.

Ol

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
Gunner position keys
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2000, 05:08:00 PM »
I hope they tackle it before the next patch release which is supposed to include at least one new German bomber which might compound the problem further if it has even different numbered gunner positions.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Ranger Bob

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Gunner position keys
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2000, 04:08:00 AM »
Ever think of just re-mapping the keys in the game? If you can change the "fire primary" key in the game why not just change the "top gunner" key to, say, 6?

Flakbait

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
Gunner position keys
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2000, 07:35:00 AM »
Flakbait, have you really flown the 2 different bombers as gunner?  

The problem is that the B17 gunner positions are not the same as the B26 gunner positions.

In the B26 (if I remember correctly) you have top turret on 2, tail on 3, front on 4, left on 5 and right on 6.

In the B17, you have ball turret on 2 (not top!), top turret on 3, tail on 4, front on 5, left on 6 and right on 7.

You see the problem?

It would be more logical to base the positions on keypad numbers, as suggested by kfsone.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF [AH]
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF [WB]
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
Gunner position keys
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2000, 09:06:00 AM »
What DrSoya is saying is that if you remap the keys in the game you would have to do it before you fly each an every bomber, because they are different from bomber to bomber.

I have temporarily solved this problem by programming my Saitek Stick such that mode 1 is B17 views, Mode 2 slider sets the same view hat inputs for the B26, and Mode 3 for vehicles. That way I am always pushing the hat in the same direction to go to the same gunner position even if AH has them a bit mixed up.

This is a great fix for now, but when they come out with more bombers I hope they either fix the positions so they are all the same, or the new bombers at least correspond with the B17 or B26 so I can use the programmed keys on my stick.

They have indicated that this is more of a problem to fix than we seem to understand so I guess we will just have to wait till they have time to get to it.

Ranger Bob

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Gunner position keys
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2000, 11:26:00 AM »
Oliver, good to see you in here. Just wanted to say hi and thank you for all your past services in Warbirds.  

After you dropped out of sight.. well I thought maybe you were dead. Not a peep from you. Then an old squadie "booker" sent me a message that you posted in AGW I think.  Just about 2 weeks ago.  

Glad you are well, and I hope you come to enjoy this community as much as I do.  A great sim and great company.  
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure