Author Topic: odd guncam  (Read 1047 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: odd guncam
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
Hartmann said that 80% of his victories were against pilots who never knew what hit them.

and as much as i hate to say this, but didn't he tend to ""drop, shoot, climb back to safety"?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 12:04:08 PM »
Bare in mind that gun cameras are frequently shown in slow motion and what you are seeing may have been very brief. 

Exactly. The Luftwaffe guncam films are usually playing only at 1/3rd speed. Slow down your film to 33% in AH filmviewer and you will have a similar effect.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 12:41:16 PM »
and as much as i hate to say this, but didn't he tend to ""drop, shoot, climb back to safety, re-evalute"?

What, are you afraid of accusing him of cowardice? :lol  In real WW2 aerial combat that's how you flew if you wanted to survive the eastern front.  If the intended target avoided the attack, and after egressing the situation was not optimal for another attack, you would disengage entirely.  After all, it's easy to get picked yourself if you're in an extended dogfight!
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
IMO Marsielle was going to be the best. But its impossible to know
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 02:01:35 PM »
What, are you afraid of accusing him of cowardice? :lol  In real WW2 aerial combat that's how you flew if you wanted to survive the eastern front.  If the intended target avoided the attack, and after egressing the situation was not optimal for another attack, you would disengage entirely.  After all, it's easy to get picked yourself if you're in an extended dogfight!

nope. each and every pilot that launched an aircraft in combat, during that or any war is/are/were probably some of the bravest men alive.

i was afraid that if i said that, that this thread would morph into one of those pickers vs tnbers vs ho'ers, etc.

in rl, the way he flew was very smart, and very efficient too.

i thought i had read somewhere that he had opened a flight school in germany.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »
yea, thats a good 1, ive seen b4, but i have seen videos of like F4Us turning wit zeros and stuff lol and then in game no way, even if u drop flaps

-BigBOBCH
Bob, I have about 700 or so films of me in a hog-1 turning with nearly every plane in the set, I'll try to look one up for you.  The misconception about not being able to turnfight against a better turning plane is all in the initial AoA.  Of course you're not going to out flat turn a hurri2 after a couple of revolutions, but if you pick the right angles, and time it just right, you get a shot at winning.  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 04:30:12 PM »
nope. each and every pilot that launched an aircraft in combat, during that or any war is/are/were probably some of the bravest men alive.

i was afraid that if i said that, that this thread would morph into one of those pickers vs tnbers vs ho'ers, etc.

Ahhhh, I see.  That makes sense. :salute
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »
Always wondered, u know, you go through the guncam videos on youtube, and almost NONE of them, the person getting shot at is turning, i mean like this one, this spit is just sitting there takin the guns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIqsDBYyXro&feature=related

-BigBOBCH

Stick stirring wasn't invented yet.  hehe

Maybe the old time cameras could not take th G's and get the shot or maybe they only turned them on when they were going to get a sure hit or kill. Many other reasons i suppose.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »
BigBOBCH <S> 

You have to remember that with no background, you never know how much movement goes on.  Sure the rudders, elevators and ailerons dont seem to be moving much, so it might be super slow motion to track individual  fire rate..... But in a dogfight, the attacker is moving with the defender.  It is possible on a bright day that there is movement going on that cant be tracked since the camera is fixed with the attack plane, with a good pilot that is actually staying tight on 6.  That may sound silly and the people out there would say "you'd see the aileron's moving up and down."   But with 1940's video technology, it may not always be the case.

Others have said wounded pilot and that is also quite possible.  As the film's saved by Germany would only point to Allies that were killed.

Always wondered, u know, you go through the guncam videos on youtube, and almost NONE of them, the person getting shot at is turning, i mean like this one, this spit is just sitting there takin the guns

-BigBOBCH
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:02:51 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 10:24:26 PM »
i thought i had read somewhere that he had opened a flight school in germany.

After he was returned home from the Russian gulags he was the leading General of the post-war Luftwaffe.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 12:02:06 AM »
Ahhhh, I see.  That makes sense. :salute

yaaa.....

every so often, i have a brain fart, and make some sense......don't tell anyone though :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 12:03:29 AM »
After he was returned home from the Russian gulags he was the leading General of the post-war Luftwaffe.
it's ashame he was on the wrong side of the war. he was probably a great man.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 12:13:05 AM »
How's where he was born change whether or not he was a great man?

He fought for his country the same as our airmen fought for ours.  He was a soldier.  No more and for sure no less.  If I was born in 1920 in Germany I would have fought on that side the same as you or anyone here.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 12:19:12 AM »
How's where he was born change whether or not he was a great man?

He fought for his country the same as our airmen fought for ours.  He was a soldier.  No more and for sure no less.  If I was born in 1920 in Germany I would have fought on that side the same as you or anyone here.

well, i DID say he was probably a great man. i kind of meant that it sucked that he had to be born into a situation that put him on the wrong side. he ended up having to suffer a lot because of this.

i would've actually liked to meet the man.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"