Author Topic: Aircrafts/Vechicles nicknames and designations  (Read 1013 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Aircrafts/Vechicles nicknames and designations
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »
 That cleared my mind up a bit, thanks guys.  :aok

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 04:44:36 PM »
No, the A-36 Apache was an adaptation of the P-51A Mustang, except with dive-breaks, and other ground attack weapons and equipment. The Mustang was a name given to the P-51A (Allison-fitted) design as soon as it entered service with the British. The name then stuck.

ok...i thought i had read that they renamed it when the rolls was installed.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
Many of the names of US planes were given to them by the British when they received them on Lend-Lease. Later the US Military adopted the names.

MUSTANG, LIGHTNING, THUNDERBOLT, LIBERATOR, CATALINA, HARVARD, TOMAHAWK, KITTYHAWK, WARHAWK, BUFFALO were a few that come to mind.

:salute

Warhawk has always been the name used by the US for all models of the P-40. Brits/Commonwealth/Soviet used Tomahawk (up to P-40C) and later Kittyhawk (from P-40D on)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 10:26:05 PM »
No, the A-36 Apache was an adaptation of the P-51A Mustang, except with dive-breaks, and other ground attack weapons and equipment. The Mustang was a name given to the P-51A (Allison-fitted) design as soon as it entered service with the British. The name then stuck.

The A-36 Apache, or sometimes the Invader, was based on the Mustang I/P-51 (no A designation). The P-51A was derived from the A-36.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 11:50:56 PM »
The A-36 Apache, or sometimes the Invader, was based on the Mustang I/P-51 (no A designation). The P-51A was derived from the A-36.

http://www.aviation-history.com/north-american/p51.html

During the design stage, on May 4, 1940, the US Army released the design for export with the condition that two of the planes be delivered to them for evaluation. At this time the NA-73 was assigned the XP-51 designation. The first and tenth airframes were sent to the Army for testing; these were given the serial numbers 41-38 and -39. An order for 150 P-51s followed which was to satisfy the RAF request as part of the Lend Lease legislation. After Pearl Harbor, 53 of these were kept back as reconnaissance aircraft. Initially, the P-51 was named "Apache" for a short time, but the name "Mustang" was later adopted. The British designation would be Mustang I. Most of the first 20 Mustangs to arrive in England were used for test and evaluation.

By the time the prototype was in the air again, the type had acquired a name. In December 1940, the RAF named it the "Mustang", after a popular tune that had been a hit in America and Europe in the 1930s. The name stuck.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avp51_1.html#m1

couple interesting sites.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 12:13:36 AM »
WONDERING if i should even do this.....but i HAVE to...........

The British had run low on cash, and so on 7 July 1941, the USAAC had ordered 150 "NA-91s" for them, which were formally designated P-51. This was before the RAF had even received its first evaluation Mustang. This Lend-Lease batch of aircraft had an unusual weapons fit, with gun armament consisting of four Hispano-Suiza Mark II 20 millimeter cannon, replacing the six wing-mounted machine guns.

The cannon armament was introduced at the request of the British, who had been plagued during the Battle of Britain with the feeble firepower of Hurricanes and Spitfires armed solely with banks of rifle-caliber 7.9 millimeter (0.303 caliber) machine guns. The Mustang's two nose machine guns were deleted, and the three machine guns in each wing were replaced by two cannon. The Hispano Mark II had been designed as a "motorcannon", fitting over the cylinder banks of an inline vee engine and with the muzzle sticking out the prop spinner. This meant the weapon was very long and its muzzles distinctively protruded well out in front of the wing of the P-51. Despite the hitting power of this heavy armament, for whatever reasons no other major model of Mustang would feature it.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avp51_1.html#m1
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"