Author Topic: Flop in the Philippines 1944  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Flop in the Philippines 1944
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 03:21:17 AM »
I'll pm you Sled in the morning.  I'll try to take it off the board's.

MGD

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 08:12:47 AM »
I'll pm you Sled in the morning.  I'll try to take it off the board's.

MGD

What's wrong MGD?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »
A lot of problems from the sound of it. Mistakes happen and I know Nef (CM’s) try not to repeat them. As far as the plane set I like it, others obviously disagree. MGD mentioned plane match up’s that focus more on what would be an even match than on history. I heartily agree. It is always a balance between the two, (historical accuracy VS game play) but I think Nef has it for this event.

What Krusty said about the wind is a shame. Most (myself included) enjoy many aspects of the wind and its added realism, but if only part of what Krusty said is true then consider using the wind sparingly in any Squad Ops that has fleet operations. Or avoid using it in low alts as he also mentioned. I heard from someone the ‘downtime’ may have not been set correctly and that would account for some ships not being sunk.

Flop? Not by a long shot IMHO.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline 4XTCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 07:13:16 PM »
I heard from someone the ‘downtime’ may have not been set correctly and that would account for some ships not being sunk.

Down time WAS set correctly.

The reason the correct ships were not sunk was my fault, as I misread the orders.
Posted by: Nefarious 
4XTCH the Setup CM, incorrectly read the objectives. And instead of Destroying the CVs at 78,79, and 80 he destroyed the Cruisers.
:frown:

From the looks of the logs, it appears that my gaffe hurt the Allies worse as they had to attempt to sink 2 Carriers and 4 Destroyers instead of 2 cruisers and 4 Destroyers. The IJN and IJAAF had to sink only 1 Carrier w/4 Destroyers in TG 80 instead of 1 cruiser w/ 4 Destroyers.

Sorry guys, it wont happen again.

4XTCH
~364TH C-HAWKS FG~

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 12:58:50 PM »
Wind in this game isn't wind. It just adds sideways motion to everything, regardless of shape, form, or aerodynamics. Wind against the nose of an aircraft is going to have slightly less impact than wind on the wide flat side surfaces of the same aircraft turned 90 degrees.

In this game it's not really wind. It's just lateral motion regardless of how it really works. Setting wind to 5mph just means "move EVERYTHING thataway at 5mph." Ask a sniper if a 5mph wind is really going to blow his bullet 20 meters off mark. No, it might nudge it. Might make him miss by a bit. However most of the air fllows AROUND the bullet rather than a solid piston pushing it sideways. The total force of wind may be flowing at 5 mph but the effect it has hitting a 500lb fin-stabilized bomb hurtling downward at 600+ mph is NOT going to affect the bomb much.

AH2 just doesn't really do wind right.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »
From the looks of the logs, it appears that my gaffe hurt the Allies worse as they had to attempt to sink 2 Carriers and 4 Destroyers instead of 2 cruisers and 4 Destroyers. The IJN and IJAAF had to sink only 1 Carrier w/4 Destroyers in TG 80 instead of 1 cruiser w/ 4 Destroyers.

I'm not sure if this is the same TG, but the one USMC hit had the CV and the CA and the DDs all up. It was 100%.

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 10:12:31 PM »
It's wasn't a complete bust. At least the sun stayed turned on for the whole frame.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 02:28:20 AM »
I'll try to answer as much as I can, Other things I will touch up on later in the results.

4XTCH the Setup CM, incorrectly read the objectives. And instead of Destroying the CVs at 78,79, and 81 he destroyed the Cruisers.

The Ack Settings have always been reduced in FSO usually to the tune of less than 0.5, I have been using .3 most of my events. This is to avoid One Ping Ack Kills and testing shows that repeated passes will result in damage.

As far as the Plane set goes, It's not changing. Looking at the numbers briefly, The Axis only fielded 19 more players than the Allies, and only used 38 Franks and Georges. Now I haven't combed the logs yet, so we will see how much damage they really did. (I know personally that I respawned two of those Franks due to JS trouble). I would say 36 Franks and Georges out of nearly 260+ Pilots is pretty reasonable. MGD, I can't tell what your trying to convey. Who was in the advantage? Who had the upper hand? You never mentioned it in your post.

At A1 Bombers could not spawn on the Runway, Hangar was the only option. When they launched all the drones were killed by spawning on top of the Hangar itself. I apologize for that as I should of caught that in my testing. Then combine that with the re-arm issue with Drones, once again something I totally forgot about.

As far as the wind goes, I am going to confer with the team and see what can be done.

For me last night was a major flop. After my two aborted launches and re-logs to check my JS, I finally solved my problem and rolled with 25% fuel. I didn't catch it until about T+35, when my engine died.  :o

Ok Nef I'm not going to read through this mess to figure out what has been covered or not.  In short:

I don't think the set up issue effected us much as it was global.  Who cares.

The plane set does bother me I heard you made an adjustment but again.. who cares :)

The plane set in every special event is critical.  I don't care much for the format of everyone will fly "X" planes withe the exception of the "lucky" few.  Every plane in the air need's to have a fighting chance or this becomes.... UN-FUN.  If that's not clear enough call me.  My info is still posted.

This being clear now I will also say this.  I for one didn't have a bad time on Friday night.  I had a good time as a matter of fact. I got up with a bunch of good friends I've had for ten + years and in some cases we whipped bellybutton in others like my own case I was owned by fencer.   I still had fun!

If you need a measure for the plane set take a look at the logs.  Then one side score twice the assists as the other that mean's one side has to work twice as hard to have fun.

Here it is then I'm done (looking forward to whis week mind you),  Get the plane set to be fair for evey squad every time & you have made a GREAT event.  Short of that you made a bunch of guy's happy but pissed off many more.

Again call me if that wasn't clear enough.

MGD 

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 05:50:51 AM »

This being clear now I will also say this.  I for one didn't have a bad time on Friday night.  I had a good time as a matter of fact. I got up with a bunch of good friends I've had for ten + years and in some cases we whipped bellybutton in others like my own case I was owned by fencer.   I still had fun!

First of all, I don't know how I 'owned' you as from what I can tell your strike group was hitting C78 and I was helping defend C79.  :huh

Secondly the fun in FSOs is the historical recreation of battles.  The Japanese had 21 N1K1s available in the Phillipines during this time frame with a dozen or so others unservicable.  There were also KI84s there, while I have not checked myself, probably in strength greater than the designer is allowing.  I wonder if the American's had succeeded in downing them all in droves, would their numbers have increased or would we have seen more FM2s or more TBMs required in American playset.  I doubt it.  Personally I would always prefer to have a historical battle and let the players decide the results based upon tactics and ability rather than an "even" fight where the historical planeset is modified to level the playing field so both sides are equal.

Nefarious is doing what he feels he needs to to make this a 'fair' fight, and no matter what your opinion of mid stream modifications to an event is we should respect that.  He is doing what he believes is correct for the overall good of everyone involved. 
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 06:52:35 AM »

The plane set does bother me I heard you made an adjustment but again.. who cares :)

The plane set in every special event is critical.  I don't care much for the format of everyone will fly "X" planes withe the exception of the "lucky" few.  Every plane in the air need's to have a fighting chance or this becomes.... UN-FUN.  If that's not clear enough call me.  My info is still posted.

MGD 

I agree the plane set needs to be looked after. The allies put up 174 of the most advanced fighters available to them while the axis put up 38 of the most advanced fighters available to them.  :rolleyes:
AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

"The money you payed earns you nothing. You paid for many hours of entertainment you received, and nothing more." - HiTech

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 01:49:12 AM »
Oh crud,

Maybe I needed to talk to Daddog before I ran off to no end.  He summed it up better then I could have & with far better tact.

I don't care for the plane set nor do I care to arrive at a target to find out that it's going to be a bit harder to get the target down (while flying against the forementioned plane set).

The simple fact is that the miss communication that resulted in leaving the CV's Up & the CA's down was a bit more serious then the aar compensation wielded.  This mistake commanded much more ord to be used on 78 & 79 & C80 was simply strafed down by a Ki-61 with 20mm (after the bombs fell).

I did have a good time on Friday but it didn't have much to do with the set up or the plane set.

MGD 

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 03:30:45 AM »
First of all, I don't know how I 'owned' you as from what I can tell your strike group was hitting C78 and I was helping defend C79.  :huh

Secondly the fun in FSOs is the historical recreation of battles.  The Japanese had 21 N1K1s available in the Phillipines during this time frame with a dozen or so others unservicable.  There were also KI84s there, while I have not checked myself, probably in strength greater than the designer is allowing.  I wonder if the American's had succeeded in downing them all in droves, would their numbers have increased or would we have seen more FM2s or more TBMs required in American playset.  I doubt it.  Personally I would always prefer to have a historical battle and let the players decide the results based upon tactics and ability rather than an "even" fight where the historical planeset is modified to level the playing field so both sides are equal.

Nefarious is doing what he feels he needs to to make this a 'fair' fight, and no matter what your opinion of mid stream modifications to an event is we should respect that.  He is doing what he believes is correct for the overall good of everyone involved. 

Garbage.

They training was kaput & the pilots flying the planes where sub par.  If what you are saying is true & we accurately recreated a battle in some way shape or form.  There is no way we could be speaking English :)

MGD

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 05:28:05 AM »
No, we were given the ability to refight a battle.  Don't blame the design for the results.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:31:32 AM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »
I firmly believe the F6f is an excellent plane and more than capable to deal with both the Frank and the George.  I believe one thing to consider in regards to the apparent lopsidedness other than planeset might be to consider the relative fighter skills of the squads on each side.  This most certainly is a factor in the outcome of a fight so should most definitely be considered when determining side-balance.  In fact one CO basically states this, referring to his inexperienced squad being jumped by what he rightfully considers more experienced squads.  I think it is a valid concern.  Now this may already be taken under consideration by the staff, so it might be a mute point.  But I was thinking that possibly developing a squadron FSO rating, that can be for staff eyes only, that can be used for setting up sid-balance might be something to consider.  It would be a factor/percentage of squadron size versus average kills from let's say the last 5 FSO series.  It would be a dynamic rating that would fluctuate with a squads size and its gaining or loss of experience.  This number would then be used to balance the two sides as opposed to numbers alone.  Again this might already be done, but in case not I figured I would throw the idea out there.

The plane set modification may have been a necessary thing to enhance play balance and fun for all.  But I would hope to believe it wasn't considered the long term solution.

<S> and thanks to the guys that make the FSO possible.  Best part of AH.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
I firmly believe the F6f is an excellent plane and more than capable to deal with both the Frank and the George.  I believe one thing to consider in regards to the apparent lopsidedness other than planeset might be to consider the relative fighter skills of the squads on each side. 

Or maybe. Just, maybe. WxMans plan for the Axis was just extremely superior to MGD's.

I don't have a copy of the Allied Orders, But I would interested in seeing them. I would like to see the force dispersal for the objectives.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!