Author Topic: Newbish Questions, I got some  (Read 474 times)

Offline AxisKiller

• Zinc Member
      • GamerzUnlimited
Newbish Questions, I got some
« on: August 12, 2008, 06:12:53 PM »
I'm a little new to the combat flight sims, but I've been flying things like Microsoft Flight Sim X for a couple of years now and my friend introduced me to this game and I immediately fell in love with it. Great game. But I have some questions, this being my first combat flight sim. Incoming...

First: What is the best way to get an enemy fighter off your tail? I'd like a generalized response that could be applied to almost all of the fighters, I tend to hop around depending on what mood I'm in.

Second: Does anyone have any tips on attacking enemy ships? Like where to aim and such. I usually just aim for the top of the ship and let the bombs fly, but that doesn't seem to do much good unless I'm dropping craploads of bombs or some really big ones.

Third: I completed my two-week free trial thing and I want to subscribe, but I have a problem. I don't have a credit card and my parents are reluctant to use theirs online (understandably). But can I just get a subscription on Visa Gift Cards? Just buy one each month and renew the subscription and so on. I've done it with other P2P games like EVE Online and World of Warcraft, was just wondering if it could be done here.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any answers you guys might have for me, and sorry if they were answered elsewhere.

EDIT:

Just noticed the thread below mine. Still, the third question stands.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:14:44 PM by AxisKiller »

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Re: Newbish Questions, I got some
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:15:14 PM »

First: What is the best way to get an enemy fighter off your tail? I'd like a generalized response that could be applied to almost all of the fighters, I tend to hop around depending on what mood I'm in.

The real question is what do i need to do to avoid getting them there in the first place. But strictly answering your question is: "the best thing to do is to force an overshoot" See http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/overshoot/overshoot.htm

Second: Does anyone have any tips on attacking enemy ships? Like where to aim and such. I usually just aim for the top of the ship and let the bombs fly, but that doesn't seem to do much good unless I'm dropping craploads of bombs or some really big ones.

Try these:
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/divebomb/divebomb.htm
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/torpedoes/torpedoes.htm

Third: I completed my two-week free trial thing and I want to subscribe, but I have a problem. I don't have a credit card and my parents are reluctant to use theirs online (understandably). But can I just get a subscription on Visa Gift Cards? Just buy one each month and renew the subscription and so on. I've done it with other P2P games like EVE Online and World of Warcraft, was just wondering if it could be done here.

You're best off calling HTC directly and sorting something out, im sure they can accommodate you.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline AxisKiller

• Zinc Member
      • GamerzUnlimited
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:41:19 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can email HTC's billing department and see if they'll allow them. I'm pretty certain they will, because it acts just like a regular credit card except it has a limited amount of money on it (say $25).

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
Yes you can use the visa gift card. Go buy one for 15 or 30 bucks. Go to account management and enter the number just the same as if you were using a real credit card.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
FYI, about your parents worried about using credit cards online, let them know that, by far, the most common origin of credit card fraud is restaurants.  When you hand your card to a server it is very easy for them to copy the info down if they want.

That said, being cautious is alwasy preferable when it comes to CC fraud.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Cee64E

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:40:29 PM »
Another option is to use a reloadable debit card like the ones sold at Wal-Mart or most check-cashing places.  Green Dot comes to mind since I see their commercials on TV all the time.  These are actually a checking account with a bank, though they usually have a limit of a grand or so, and the bank is prolly out of state, only reachable by phone or online.  The primary difference is that you can go to the same place you got it and reload it.  So unlike the "gift cards" (usually NOT reloadable) you don't have to change the CC number on your account every month.  They also offer fraud protection since it IS in your name and funds can usually be recovered without TOO much hassle if it's lost or stolen.  The "gift cards" are essentially bearer instruments (like cash) and anyone who presents one can use it for whatever.  They aren't linked to your parent's regular accounts or even their bank so there's very little threat from online usage.  They're well worth the 10 bucks it costs to buy one and loading is a snap.  You could even pool birthday and holiday money together and load up a years worth of gaming.  Just be sure to read the fine print as there are some fees for "account management" and some are monthly while others are "per transaction".  Some cards let you choose how the fees work.  Talk it over with your parents and don't forget to throw in the part about how managing this account will teach you responsibility.... :aok
R2, did we just blow up a gas station?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »
I'm a little new to the combat flight sims, but I've been flying things like Microsoft Flight Sim X for a couple of years now and my friend introduced me to this game and I immediately fell in love with it. Great game. But I have some questions, this being my first combat flight sim. Incoming...

my favorite maneuver for losing a con off of my 6 is to throw parts of my airplane at him. i find that the ailerons do good damage to him, although at the cost of maneuverability.

seriously, it is about 10 times harder to lose someone once they've gotten into position.

i level bomb them. 10k alt, lead the target by one ship length

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any answers you guys might have for me, and sorry if they were answered elsewhere.

EDIT:

<<S>>

Just noticed the thread below mine. Still, the third question stands.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline AxisKiller

• Zinc Member
      • GamerzUnlimited
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I got an email back from HTC's billing departments stating pretty much confirming what I had originally thought, it seems as though the gift cards will work. The only problem would be keeping it up to date, but if I'm on the ball with the day I started my account I shouldn't be any worse off.