Author Topic: Just how difficult is building your own pc?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Just how difficult is building your own pc?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 03:00:14 PM »
I've had problems building my comps. Most of them are along the "Duh" lines. Not plugging something in correctly would be #1. #2 would be not researching the components first. That happened when I bought a 8600 gs video card. I've had one slightly bad component. The E8400 chip had bad heat sensors. It ran great though.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »
Yeah your sensor thing Getback was a first I've ever heard of.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 09:38:43 PM »

Did you ever spend much time building models when you were a kid?
If you answered yes.
Then if you can read and follow instructions. And with the help of the folks here for parts and what goes well with what.

Building your own machine is a snap.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 09:40:41 PM »
  Did you ever spend much time building models when you were a kid?
If you answered yes.
Then if you can read and follow instructions. And with the help of the folks here for parts and what goes well with what.

Building your own machine is a snap.

Just like Legos. Only you get to turn it on when you're done.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 09:25:28 PM »
I’d like to add my experiences as another data point.  I used to buy Dell computers a long time ago.  At that time it was true that a Dell was only about $100 to $200 more expensive that a home built using similar components.  Then Dell changed and the became not as good a value compared to home built, especially if you wanted a high performance system.  This was especially true when the basically began forcing you to include some version of MS Office on each new computer (whereas with a home built you could save that money by just installing your old version of Office).  So I started building my own computers and I’ve done at least three so far (I’m old and my mind wanders so maybe it was 4).

The first two were nightmares.  There were literally dozens of problems that caused many days of debugging to fix.  Some examples include: having to buy three different sound cards to get one that worked properly, having the MB use the RAMs SPD even though it couldn’t support that speed, having to upgrade to XP when 98 was unstable on a new MB, massive trouble getting SB drivers to install, many other SW problems, modem problems, wireless card problems… etc. etc. etc.

Now the latest build (a month ago) was easy and nearly flawless.  The MB recognized the E8400 (some don’t and must be flashed) and properly defaulted almost everything, including the RAM timing.  But even with this system I managed to mess up.  First, I installed the memory card reader in the case before installing Windows.  So, of course, the memory card slots became C:, D:, E:, and F: and the hard drive became G:. XP got installed on G:.  Then the graphics card software failed to install.  After several attempts it turns out that it MUST be installed on C:.  So, complete reinstall of XP with the card reader disconnected so the HD is C:.  Then the WiFi card would not work properly.  It kept ignoring my own strong WiFi signal and connecting, at random, to neighbor’s networks (whose signal is near zero).  Turns out you have to turn off XP’s Wireless Zero Control service (which appears to be designed to give you zero control over your wireless network ;) ).  That caused me to go through two WiFi cards before I got the sequence down and the drivers installed.  Then there was the Radeon 4850 video card problem: the BIOS defaults the fan speed to minimum.  My card was running idle at 82C !  You have to install their fan control software and up the fan speed (the video drivers won’t do it).  This only runs when Windows boots, so if you do a long MEMTEST86 the video card sits there cooking itself (although it’s rated for 125C apparently).

My point: things can go wrong when you build computers yourself.  So it behooves one to check not only parts prices on Newegg, but also a comparable system price on Dell and ask yourself if the extra cost for the Dell is worth not having to risk dealing with problems.

Offline Tempest3

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »
YOU DON'T NEED MS OFFICE!!!!! I hate to interrupt this but www.openoffice.org is free. It was designed for Linux many years ago and it fully cross compatible. The only things it doesn't have yet are a version of Publisher and Outlook. I love it because it's FREE!

On another note, I know a lot of people that own Dells whose warranties have expired by now! If anything goes wrong they're on their own up a creek without a paddle. They know nothing about what is in a computer and almost think they work by magic. You can always tell those people because they say things like, "My computer decided to...", "My computer didn't like that person...", or "I wish I didn't have all these programs start with my computer". When you read how to build a computer you learn a lot about how they work AND all the software on it was put on by you. If you don't want it, it ain't on there. Simplicity!

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 12:31:49 AM »
I've installed Open Office for people on the cheap.  But these people never really used office programs anyways so I can't really comment on it.  I still use MS office, but just keep using my old version (Office XP).  At work we have 2007 and some features are nice, but it's really the same old stuff.  I've recently decided to drop Outlook and go completely gmail.  I find it much handier since I now have about 5 emails addresses configured to go to one gmail account.  Plus I don't have to back up my email every time I format my computer.  Google docs and google calendar also for the win.

But yeah, there are a lot of people out there that really do believe that computers must work like magic and they don't understand how their actions or lack there of on their computer is the root of the problem, not a gremlin slowing it down or whatever.  See "People who thought Bonzi Buddy was cute."  I knew a person that owned a digital camera and could never figure out where the photos saved on their computer when they connected and transfered the files.  Plus, couldnt figure out how to delete the old photos off the memory card and would just buy a new memory card when the old one was full.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2008, 02:23:35 AM »
715: The radeon 4850 was operating as designed it's supposed to run at low rpm when idle to avoid noise.

I've never heard of graphics drivers that wouldn't work outside c: which card / drivers were in question?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2008, 12:45:08 PM »
715: The radeon 4850 was operating as designed it's supposed to run at low rpm when idle to avoid noise.

I've never heard of graphics drivers that wouldn't work outside c: which card / drivers were in question?

Yes, I know it wants to be quiet, but it does idle at 82C which is mighty hot (a tad more and I could use it to make tea).  Buy the way, the BIOS didn't audibly speed up the fan under load, so the card got even hotter, but not much.  The card is an Asus EAH4850 (which otherwise is a great card- not bad to get a Teraflop card for $170 after rebate).  It may be that the engineers that designed the card know that the chip can handle the high temperatures, and set the fan appropriately.  I saw somewhere it was rated to 125C.  Setting the fan to 50% makes it "almost" silent and keeps it below 60C, so no problems. 

The software that demanded to be installed on C: was Asus SmartDoctor, which is the program that allows setting the fans speed.  Yeah, I didn't believe it could be that brain dead either, but it was.  When the HD was G: it repeatedly refused to install and when I reformatted so the HD was C: it installed perfectly.  (I probably selected auto install.  Perhaps there was a custom option that would have allowed me to select G:)

I forgot to note another downside to buying prebuilt systems: as others have pointed out, they often come with tons of shovelware installed.  You can't believe the number of background process running on my wifes HP laptop.  So that's another tradeoff to consider.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
The software that demanded to be installed on C: was Asus SmartDoctor, which is the program that allows setting the fans speed.  Yeah, I didn't believe it could be that brain dead either, but it was.  When the HD was G: it repeatedly refused to install and when I reformatted so the HD was C: it installed perfectly.  (I probably selected auto install.  Perhaps there was a custom option that would have allowed me to select G:)
Yeah, a simple line of code on their part would have made your headache a lot less.  I've always like Asus hardware products, but their software stuff has always been sub-par.

Offline Tempest3

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 10:41:40 PM »
I had installation problems with the software that came with my HIS graphics card. It didn't work. I consider that a big problem at least. I had to completely remove all drivers and software it installed and use the drivers off of ATI's website. The HIS drivers actually crashed my computer and gave me the "Blue Screen Of Death" whenever I tried to use a graphics game.  :mad: It works now though. I'm happy. Life is all about what you can learn after all!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »
I've had a pre-built IBM, a pre-built Dell, two laptops (Toshiba and Sony) and now my new machine that I built myself.  I've experienced problems with every single one of them; some major, some minor.

Buying pre-built is no guarantee that life will be beautiful.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 11:36:55 PM »
I have owned several Dell computers and have needed to get two fixed under warranty.  They did not replace the computer with an equivalent or better model as was stated in an earlier post.  What they did was guess at what was wrong and send replacement parts.  Sometimes it took several such calls before they would send a replacement part.   I went through a CPU, motherboard, RAM, CD drive, and two hard drive replacements on one machine before it finally worked again.  Each part replacement involved hours on the phone waiting and then speaking with techs for whom English was a second language and who, every time, started the troubleshooting with the most basic steps like was the power cord plugged in.  Then I had to wait several days for each replacement part,  install it, and return the old part only to find that the problem was not fixed.  I had to repeat that 6 time before the computer worked again.  It was down for over a month during which I spent innumerable hours trying to get it fixed   Maybe their repair policy has changed but I doubt it.  By the time it was over I felt like they owed me ten computers. 

I finally got up the courage to build my own a few months ago based on info in this and other forums and internet sites.  It was as easy as BaldEagl and others have said.  It has worked fine from the first moment I powered it up.  I doubt I'll ever own another Dell. 
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:55 AM »
I had an 8 year old Dell that was pretty darn reliable. I had to replace the harddrive once. Then about 3 months ago the picture went out. I thought it had died. So I gave it to my son. He did a little work on it and found that the video card had gone bad and now he is using it.

The thing is when I went to upgrade my Dell for gaming it was going to cost me as much to build a new one.

I have built 3 machines in the last 9 months. All run flawlessly inspite of my overclocking and my errors.

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 03:16:35 AM »
Condor: my friend who uses Dell all the time told me it's better if you buy your machine through the Dell Small Business section of the website rather than the Home division.  He said the small business tech support is way better.  The machine I have for my wife has next-business-day onsite warranty, so once I call in their tech support they'll have to have a guy onsite the next day to fix it.  My friend has this happen somewhat often (he has a lot of clients using a lot of Dell machines so they do get bad drives and cpus and whatnot) and he just calls up and tells them he needs a new hard drive or whatever and they show up and put it in.  He never has problems getting the machines fixed in a timely manner.