Author Topic: {{Waving Hand from back of room}} Skuzzy!!!  (Read 1303 times)

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
Re: {{Waving Hand from back of room}} Skuzzy!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 05:05:12 PM »
I did every possible combination.  Again, remember that there is nothing else loaded on this system except for the OS (and all its baggage) and the game.

Since I've been suffering for several months with this, I've tried every possible combination that I can think of.

1. Uninstall, reinstall the game, driver, OS... etc....
2. Do it in different order reversing and going forward on driver versions.
3  Installing SP3 on old OS install, installed it on new OS install.
4. Enabling win 98 compatibility, disabling....
5. Deleting the video cfg file.
6. Playing with resolution an texture etc...

When the system locks up, I've been at the wide range of possible frames per second.  I've also locked up with CNT still counting down and with CNT at zero.  I've locked up in the middle of a dogfight, switching views like crazy.  I've also locked up sitting in the tower or looking at the map.  Heck, I've even locked up in a tank staring at a tree.

I thought for sure a fresh install of the OS woulda done it but it did no.
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »
I have had problems with SP3 and have since not installed it on any of our computers.  I have heard both good and bad about it.

Have you tried simply moving the "HTC" folder to another name and re-installing the game?  Do not remove the folder, just rename it.

Also, do not install any custom sounds!!!!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 08:51:49 PM »
Alright, I'll try this and see what happens.  Thx Skuzzy.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »
had similar prob awhile ago - was reminded to set dx sound acceleration to down 3/4... what is yours set at - sometimes i had the vox looping and needed to hard boot out of the game
no problems since i did that

NwBie

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
Ok, hope I don't jinx myself but Nwbie's suggestion seemed to do the trick.  Logged 2.5 hours of playing time without a single problem. 

Thx guys!

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 07:47:27 AM »
Hi G,

Have a iMac myself.  I used XP with SP 2 last time I played with no problems.  When I partitioned, I didn't leave enough room for SP3 unintentionally.  Don't think I've ever played with SP3 installed in the past either.

But it sound like you got it sorted out with the sound acceleration adjustment.

Good Luck,

hap

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »
Also, do not install any custom sounds!!!!

slight hijack here, sorry.  But i have heard that said a lot.  I'm wondering why we shouldn't install custom sounds?
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »
Many of the custom sound packs have a problems in the sound files that will cause the game to crash.

Also note, when using an onboard sound chip the custom sound files can cause massive stutters due to extensive resources requirements onboard sound chips simply lack.  Not always, but they can do it and they do do it.  Onboard sound chips are highly CPU dependent and require much more CPU than a good add in sound card does.

Now, there is no doubt someone out there thinks the onboard sound chips are fine and not causing them any troubles at all.  All that means is they have attributed any troubles they do have to the sound chip or they have more than enough CPU due to having a very slow video card and the CPU is waiting on the video card.  In which case they will only see stutters and pauses infrequently.

If you want the most from the game, then either avoid using onboad sound chips or avoid using custom high resolution sounds.  In all cases, avoid using the existing sound packs as many have broken sound files which will cause the game to crash.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 10:01:41 AM »
Many of the custom sound packs have a problems in the sound files that will cause the game to crash.

Also note, when using an onboard sound chip the custom sound files can cause massive stutters due to extensive resources requirements onboard sound chips simply lack.  Not always, but they can do it and they do do it.  Onboard sound chips are highly CPU dependent and require much more CPU than a good add in sound card does.

Now, there is no doubt someone out there thinks the onboard sound chips are fine and not causing them any troubles at all.  All that means is they have attributed any troubles they do have to the sound chip or they have more than enough CPU due to having a very slow video card and the CPU is waiting on the video card.  In which case they will only see stutters and pauses infrequently.

If you want the most from the game, then either avoid using onboad sound chips or avoid using custom high resolution sounds.  In all cases, avoid using the existing sound packs as many have broken sound files which will cause the game to crash.

Skuzzy

I have been using a sound pack for awhile now - haven't noticed any issues - but have always blamed my cheap vid card for any stutters and such
How can i go about just reloading the standard sound files - ie: do i just delete the sounds folder and the game will auto reload the sounds when I log in
Or is there a download file i need to go with?
I dont really care whether the sounds are all that special - so I will try the suggestion about sticking with the standard game sounds..
NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:29 PM »
Skuzzy

I have been using a sound pack for awhile now - haven't noticed any issues - but have always blamed my cheap vid card for any stutters and such
How can i go about just reloading the standard sound files - ie: do i just delete the sounds folder and the game will auto reload the sounds when I log in
Or is there a download file i need to go with?
I dont really care whether the sounds are all that special - so I will try the suggestion about sticking with the standard game sounds..
NwBie

Just delete, move or rename the "sounds" folder.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 03:48:36 PM »
I've been using Mitsu's sound pack with no problems.  I recently grabbed Ranger's latest and really like it.  I ended up removing it because every time I fired machine guns alone (like when my cannon was empty or the plane only had MG), I would instantly crash and the PC rebooted itself.  I guess I'll wait until I build my new rig with a good sound card.

I renamed my Mitsu sounds folder before installing the new Ranger sounds, so it was a simple matter of renaming that folder back to "sounds" to get them back again.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 10:11:27 PM »

i am using mitsu's sound pack with and onboard card. i dont really notice any lock ups or stutters due to sound being played. when i did have those problems i blamed it on the cheap vid card i had bought which burnt up and quit working after less than 9 months.

im playing on my onboard video and onboard sound now. i can still play fairly well but only in less poplulated arenas like MW DA and TA,  frame rates range between 20 and 45. i can't touch a LW arena without crashing. seems more than 50 people on and i cant see nothing. its no big deal jus waiting for money to build my system which is gonna be a while from now as i just started colledge maybe i can use a little of that student loan money? lol

but one good thing came of it i found out that i really like the mid war arena its a different style of play, and besides all i really do is fighter and jabo runs.  but to me a jabo run is pointless if no one is defending. so i mainly fly a spit 9/f6f combo and its really fun.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »

thanks for explainging that, sir.  :salute
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »
Gremlins are back with a vengence.  Don't know if this helps Skuzzy but here is the corresponding App Event Log for a typical lock up:

Event Type:   Information
Event Source:   DrWatson
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   4097
Date:      8/28/2008
Time:      8:14:01 AM
User:      N/A
Computer:   GAMING-89B96FA2
Description:
The application, C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High II\aceshigh.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 08/28/2008 @ 08:14:01.406 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00000000 (<nosymbols>)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 03:32:50 PM »
Doesn't help.  Bogus information.  Not unusual when a crash like that occurs.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese