Author Topic: Waffen SS versus Lynchmob  (Read 1274 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Waffen SS versus Lynchmob
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 04:10:28 PM »
Why does anyone even care about a stupid squad name.We are all adults if it offends you then get over it. They are just words from people you most likely will never even meet.I like to get rid of things that offend me,for example all the mexicans invading my community and taking jobs from teenagers,but hey what can i do about it.Nothing so get over it right.Call me what you want but atleast i got the balls to say it. Now go on  tear into me,i like reading other points of view between flights.

THEY CAN'T GET OVER IT.

they're the new breed of sissified adults. they feel that if anything whatsoever offends them, then they can complain till it gets changed. they're a very very large part of what's wrong with this country.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »
Here we go again this was brought up in previous threads, The name **THE LYNCHMOB** has nothing to do with the insanity of those in the not to distant past and racism. I will explain it one more time: Before i formed the squad i was reading a book by author Louis lemore who wrote about the old west he reffered on many occasions to a group of towns people who felt the corruption of the local law as being not in there best interest so they took matters into their own hands.They formed what was called " the vigilance comittee" who would break into the local jail drag the accused cattle theif , horsethief, or murderer out into the streets and hang him. They were refered to as a "Lynchmob". thats where our squad name came from no racism no animosity twords any ethnic group at all. <S>

I really hope this will put this subject to rest.......im not holdin my breathe though

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 04:32:30 PM »
Here we go again this was brought up in previous threads, The name **THE LYNCHMOB** has nothing to do with the insanity of those in the not to distant past and racism. I will explain it one more time: Before i formed the squad i was reading a book by author Louis lemore who wrote about the old west he reffered on many occasions to a group of towns people who felt the corruption of the local law as being not in there best interest so they took matters into their own hands.They formed what was called " the vigilance comittee" who would break into the local jail drag the accused cattle theif , horsethief, or murderer out into the streets and hang him. They were refered to as a "Lynchmob". thats where our squad name came from no racism no animosity twords any ethnic group at all. <S>

I really hope this will put this subject to rest.......im not holdin my breathe though

dude....you don't need to defend yourself..........you picked a name you liked for your squad. if someone is offended by it, that's their problem, not yours.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »
Thanks CAP1 i appreciate the support, I just figured the original thread poster may not have been here when this subject was brought up before. I expect someone not knowing the origin of the name may have concerns.

Offline JAGED

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »
Lynchmob Rules! Oh wait... I thought you were talking about George Lynch's metal band...

</Emily Latella/> Oh, that's different... Never mind... </end Emily Latella/>
"I post facts.   If I post anything thats not a fact, I ask if people know whether it is fact or drivel first..."    SkyRock (ROFL LMFAO)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 04:43:40 PM »
Thanks CAP1 i appreciate the support, I just figured the original thread poster may not have been here when this subject was brought up before. I expect someone not knowing the origin of the name may have concerns.

ya, i guess you have a point there.

i just don't understand why if someone's name opffends someone here, can they not go somewhere else? i'm a stubborn bastage, and i simply leave. there's plenty of arenas, and with the big maps they may not even need to leave the arenas.

and again...it's only words. words for the most part canonly hurt or offend you IF you let them.

i', sure someone could find fault with the hired guns if they wanted to.  :noid :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 04:59:06 PM »

It wasn't about your squad name really...just a goofball looking for a internet fight and being difficult. No need to even worry with it...he was prolly one of the Waffen SS dweebs and just being pissy.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 05:01:48 PM »
CAP1,

Last I checked this whole conversation says we live in the USA.

We should thank God HTC isn't required by law to report improper squad names and player names to a government department of human rights. If the servers were based in Canada, England or the EU; HTC could be reported for allowing squad names that create a hostile or offensive environment. I'm surprised some EU sqweekers mother hasen't filed a complaint yet. Let alone if a player accidently uses an aribic name that makes fun of that man who married a 9 year old girl in the 700's and told his followers it was ok to murder and steal from non-followers in the name of his moon god stone at Madina.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 05:17:44 PM »
dude....you don't need to defend yourself..........you picked a name you liked for your squad. if someone is offended by it, that's their problem, not yours.

I think the guy that started this topic is using Lynchmob as a example case. People are quick to defend in the case of Lynchmob but then there were others who cried about the Waffen SS name. So I think he's trying to say it's the same thing but he's not "really" complaining about the name Lynchmob just using it as example.

Personally I think it's silly to not allow swastikas and complain because someone uses a name related to the Nazi's. The way I look at it, it's part of history and if nothing else not pretending it didn't exist allows us to not forget what happened.

In short where does it end? What if their are German players who might have had family killed by some American or British squad and then we have players flying under that squad name? Do we then make those squads change their names?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:20:15 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
I'm betting on HiTech and company being the experienced professionals whom they are along with the excellent legal council they have on retainer supporting them.

Our best cource is to trust HiTech and the process in place for airing these concerns and get back to playing the game. This forum has too much potential for comrads saying things not in context with the spirit of our mutual enjoyment.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 05:57:49 PM »
agreed

IN
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
I was actually not one of those who declared that Waffen SS should be banned as a squad name.  I only pointed out that if Waffen SS is going to be banned for its racist connotations, then Lynchmob certainly qualifies on that score.  Sure, some cattle rustlers may have been lynched by townspeople in the wild west, but don't even try to tell me that the major connotation that 99.9% of Americans would read into that word, stated with no other context, is anything other than that of hooded white guys stringing up a black guy from a tree.

To disallow Waffen SS and allow The Lynchmob is hypocrisy, pure and simple.

Oh, and one more thing.  Ok, so you agree that it's wrong for a mob to hang a black guy out of racism, but it's just A-OK for a mob of citizens to pull a guy out of jail and hang him in the street?  Huh?  Since when is America about vigilante justice and extrajudicial killings?  If you think Lynchmob is ok as a squad name because not all of the lynchings were of black people, you should think again.  Nothing about lynching was good, whether it was black guys, cattle rustlers, Tories, or whoever else.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:10:38 PM by sethipus »

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 06:14:46 PM »
I was actually not one of those who declared that Waffen SS should be banned as a squad name.  I only pointed out that if Waffen SS is going to be banned for its racist connotations, then Lynchmob certainly qualifies on that score.  Sure, some cattle rustlers may have been lynched by townspeople in the wild west, but don't even try to tell me that the major connotation that 99.9% of Americans would read into that word, stated with no other context, is anything other than that of hooded white guys stringing up a black guy from a tree.

To disallow Waffen SS and allow The Lynchmob is hypocrisy, pure and simple.

Oh, and one more thing.  Ok, so you agree that it's wrong for a mob to hang a black guy out of racism, but it's just A-OK for a mob of citizens to pull a guy out of jail and hang him in the street?  Huh?  Since when is America about vigilante justice and extrajudicial killings?  If you think Lynchmob is ok as a squad name because not all of the lynchings were of black people, you should think again.  Nothing about lynching was good, whether it was black guys, cattle rustlers, Tories, or whoever else.

You are just looking for an argument....this is another O'Club topic.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 06:24:08 PM »
Before i formed the squad i was reading a book by author Louis lemore who wrote about the old west

You don't mean Louis L'Amour, do you?

Personally I think it's silly to not allow swastikas and complain because someone uses a name related to the Nazi's. The way I look at it, it's part of history and if nothing else not pretending it didn't exist allows us to not forget what happened.

HTC's failure to limit anything that could be construed as edit-> glorification <- of the Nazi regime would make the playing of the game illegal for residents of at least one (and maybe several?) European countries.  So above and beyond and more important than the issue of being politically correct is a legal issue - at least for the players in those countries.  And yes, that's important. 

For what my opinion is worth, arguing that the word "lynch" conjures up any automatic racial connotation is a real stretch, at least in any part of the country I've lived in, including some of the more Southern states. The initials "KKK" on the other hand... regardless of how indiscriminate they may have been with their slaughter. 

And yes, IMO this thread is little more than an obvious attempt at an argument.

<S>
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:31:17 PM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 06:27:52 PM »

Lynch mobs in the United States

Lynching, as a form of punishment for presumed criminal offenses, performed by self-appointed commissions, mobs, or vigilantes without due process of law took place in the United States before the American Civil War and after across the nation, from southern states to western frontier settlements.

I see nothing racial in the definition like you implied.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:56:56 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song