Author Topic: duel arenas  (Read 1243 times)

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
Re: duel arenas
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 04:25:39 AM »
Would be nice to just throw us all in the DA during the early hours. Course, SOME score idiot would try to take a base :rolleyes:

*cough*tachyon*cough*  :aok

Yeah... he's the first one that comes to my mind, but, I've seen many tempests come in, take out AAA, radar, then try and work the town over... and if they don't work the town... they just vulch...

Maybe we could get rid of scores alltogether in the DA... make it like the TA?
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 05:46:22 AM »
Maybe we could get rid of scores alltogether in the DA... make it like the TA?

Uhmm... scores in DA?  :huh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 06:19:02 AM »
Uhmm... scores in DA?  :huh

Those idiots in the DA like to get their kill count and K/D and K/S really high to feel specail. Thats about 90% of the reason you see Temps in the DA now. I 1 vs. 1 Tachyon, 3 turns and he was dead.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 06:22:16 AM »
Those idiots in the DA like to get their kill count and K/D and K/S really high to feel specail. Thats about 90% of the reason you see Temps in the DA now. I 1 vs. 1 Tachyon, 3 turns and he was dead.

Last times I checked there were no scores in DA ;)

Hence my  :huh at the proposition to "get rid of them"

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 06:27:59 AM »
Just go kill some milk-runners in your 110C. You seem to be good at that. ;)

ok... im sure there has been plenty of posts on this subject but here goes anyways.

i fly alot juring off hours... usually hard to find 80-100 players in 1 main arena, while at the same time there is always 5-20 milk runners in other. by the time there is sufficiant numbers to warrent 2nd arena it has already been concered by a few..... every gv base with a spawn is gone along with alot of other realastate.

does HTC pramote milk running?

is there no way to close 1 arena once numbers have dropped?

certainly it is not fare to players to be forced to second arena just to find they are 1-2 bases away from losing the war!

HTC..... is there a way to actually close one arena till needed?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:38:48 AM by BnZ »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 06:29:07 AM »
Lusche - The stats.  .score someone in the DA and you'll see the same stats as in the MA, save for the roster ranks.  I agree they should be gone... I can't think of any good enough reason to keep them. Except maybe that some dweebs will be dweebs regardless of score or stats.  Bombing HQs etc.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:30:49 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 06:29:37 AM »
Think Dastardly is refering to the two LW arena's - as in Dual. Given the increase in cap to 400 during the off peak hours (which really helps those of us in Europe etc), think he wants 1 arena shut to push everyone playing in off peak into a single arena, rather than having them both up and running.

Personally,  I dont have an opinion on that bit - dont worry which one I end up fighting in. That said, more people on makes for finding a fight a lot quicker!

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »
Lusche - The stats.  .score someone in the DA and you'll see the same stats as in the MA, save for the roster ranks.  I agree they should be gone... I can't think of any good enough reason to keep them. Except maybe that some dweebs will be dweebs regardless of score or stats.  Bombing HQs etc.

Oh crap we need to get rid of that quicklu. :furious
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 06:33:40 AM »
Lusche - The stats.  .score someone in the DA and you'll see the same stats as in the MA, save for the roster ranks. 

ooops...  :o

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 06:33:56 AM »
    Yes too many of the maps get way too much hangtime. What percentage of the total map base isnt being used?  I designed a map and NHawk made it (think that was his name) last year, never heard boo about it.
Yep, that was me.

It's submitted, but you can never tell when or if a new map will appear in the game. Skuzzy is overloaded with work.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 06:36:18 AM »

Last times I checked there were no scores in DA ;)

Hence my  :huh at the proposition to "get rid of them"

They do, not RANK, but SCORES. Kill counts, K/D, K/S....
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 06:41:23 AM »
That's a charming notion in theory. In reality we get to enjoy the smaller maps for about 20 hours on average and the HUGE maps for 20+ days each...Proportional representation in the "rotation" has almost nothing whatsoever to do with the actual time in the game we end up playing on them respectively. Those who enjoy the higher player density of the smaller maps and the fun, protracted furballs higher player density generates are basically pooched the way things are now as HUGE maps often rule both LW arenas for weeks and even months at a time. Sometimes it's even the same HUGE map in BOTH arenas... :huh
And what does this tell you about smaller maps?

Small maps can't support the large player base. Fill the arena and the map will be reset quickly.

The only possible solution is to make one arena for small maps and one for large maps.

The down side is that the small maps will be rotated so quickly that some people will think there's no real rotation going on. Because by the time they log on the maps have rotated so quickly, they are back on the same map they saw a day or two before. I've seen this happen many, many times. People complaining about no real rotation when maybe 6 or 7 maps have rotated through the week.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 07:02:19 AM »
And what does this tell you about smaller maps?

Small maps can't support the large player base. Fill the arena and the map will be reset quickly.

The only possible solution is to make one arena for small maps and one for large maps.

The down side is that the small maps will be rotated so quickly that some people will think there's no real rotation going on. Because by the time they log on the maps have rotated so quickly, they are back on the same map they saw a day or two before. I've seen this happen many, many times. People complaining about no real rotation when maybe 6 or 7 maps have rotated through the week.

How about just 1 Arena that's map is between Medium and Large, or just Medium. That way, when it's filled up, Mid War, Early War, and AvA have more and more people there.  :aok

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 07:16:22 AM »

Seeing 7 small maps a week is better than the same HUGE map for 7 months...I agree, one LW arena that rotates the HUGE maps and the other the smaller ones would be great. When luck makes this happen occasionally everyone seems happy. The numbers take care of themselves, usually if there's 500 people on 300 are in the HUGE arena and 200 in the smaller one, which is a nice proportion.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 12:31:57 PM »
What do you define suitable and functional as? 

I think he means the ones that already are in the rotation  :rofl  I think he is going into politics soon  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.