Author Topic: CFL's and you  (Read 713 times)

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
Re: CFL's and you
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »
That in of itself is yet another scam.  Recycling anything other than certain metals (IE aluminum, copper) produces more polutants and uses more energy that it does to put them in a land fill.

The point of recycling the metals in batteries is very worth while.  Lithium and cadmium (along with some other chemistries) are poisonous.  When I worked at Batteries Plus in college (over a 3 year span), the cost of nickel alone when up about 60%.  We were given figures on the lead market and since 2003 lead was up some 300%.  Thankfully about 80-90% of your car battery contains recycled lead.  Last time I checked, metals don't grow on trees.
Kudos gentlemen. :salute  You both get it.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »
I switched to them some time ago just to save money.  It worked.  The big savings is the lack of heat being generated which causes an A/C to work more to keep the home at the temperature set.  Our electric bill dropped 10 to 15% over the same period the year before.

Phillips has the ALTO line of CFL's which is the only flourescent light(s) to be granted non-hazardous status in the state California and by the EPA.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »
Where did the mercury come from to begin with? Wasn't it out there in the environment already?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »
Where did the mercury come from to begin with? Wasn't it out there in the environment already?

Mercury is found in the mineral cinnabar, and as such doesn't flow around in the environment in a liquid state.  Mankind learned to extract the mercury from cinnabar a long time ago though.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar .
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 12:37:42 PM »
If I need to get rid of one I will simply throw it in the garbage.   

lazs

Little doubt that over 99% of them will wind up in the garbage just like yours. Mine will.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »
I switched to them some time ago just to save money.  It worked.  The big savings is the lack of heat being generated which causes an A/C to work more to keep the home at the temperature set.  Our electric bill dropped 10 to 15% over the same period the year before.

Phillips has the ALTO line of CFL's which is the only flourescent light(s) to be granted non-hazardous status in the state California and by the EPA.
We had a study here at Lockheed a few years ago concerning the benefits of LCD monitors vs CRT's. The LCD's obviously used less power, but the savings were doubled when we took the reduced heat generated into account.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 04:10:28 PM »
We had a study here at Lockheed a few years ago concerning the benefits of LCD monitors vs CRT's. The LCD's obviously used less power, but the savings were doubled when we took the reduced heat generated into account.
Not to mention the more lead.

It turns out that the glass in a CRT contains a lot of lead. A big CRT can contain up to 5 pounds (2.2 kilograms) of lead. It is mixed into the glass for two reasons:

* It improves the optical quality of the glass. Adding a small amount of lead to glass is very common when creating glass for lenses, and you may have also heard of leaded crystal. Optical quality is especially important at the front of the CRT.
    * It acts as a shield against radiation generated by the electron gun and electron beam.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question678.htm
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 09:51:45 AM »
on noooooooo!!!!  with all that lead...  what about the poor condor??

The only solution is to set up a government agency that inspects peoples trash to make sure that they are not putting anything harmful in there.

Perhaps offer a reward for turning in your neighbor.

lazs

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 04:37:50 PM »
Look at muffin up here be an internet tough guy.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 08:32:05 AM »
so fulmar.. you like the idea of a new government agency to go through peoples trash?  or is it just the turning in your neighbor part that gets you off?

It was suggested here in kalifornia that more inspection of trash be done with an extra person on the garbage trucks.   I wonder if he gets a gun and a badge?

lazs

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 08:52:23 AM »
Please, like any of my posts said anything of the sort.  Putting words into my posts...  The responsibility starts with the citizen, not the government.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 09:00:20 AM »
Saved what they cost me last year.  None have burned out and none have been busted or broke open.  Estimate that switching will be saving me about 100 or more a year.   :aok
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 10:18:18 AM »
After changing out most of my Bulbs with CFL my electricity bill when down about 20$ a month.  Cant complain. I change a bulb about every 6 mothes now rather then one every couple weeks.
 My elf i am more for energy independence then saving the world.  We should start shipping all of this stuff to china like Canada does to the US.