Author Topic: made the plunge to vista  (Read 828 times)

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Re: made the plunge to vista
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:52 AM »
I don't know why you girls bash so much over Vista.
I bought 3rd laptop with it and  i dont complain.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 01:14:28 PM »
I don't know why you girls bash so much over Vista.
I bought 3rd laptop with it and  i dont complain.

Then you probably aren't aware of all the dumb things it does to your machine/older programs, Skuzzy could fill up pages about it. There is a reason that NO networks I've ever seen run on it
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Monty405

• Copper Member
      • http://www3.sympatico.ca/carol.haynes/
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 01:24:08 PM »
also why very many companies are clinging on to their xp copies

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »
Then you probably aren't aware of all the dumb things it does to your machine/older programs, Skuzzy could fill up pages about it. There is a reason that NO networks I've ever seen run on it

I have serveral customers running it on their laptops which number in the dozens. It's not so bad after turn off the UAC and other security "features". VPN connections can be a real pain though.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 09:15:15 PM »
I have serveral customers running it on their laptops which number in the dozens. It's not so bad after turn off the UAC and other security "features". VPN connections can be a real pain though.

Err thats the one issue I didn't have, VPN's :)   my two vpn clients worked fine (Sonicwall GVPN - standard ipsec type, and Sonicwall SSL-VPN netextender - ssl tunneling type).

What really got me is how long it took to get onto wireless networks. I've got both WPA2-EAP at home and work, and by the time it connected it actually popped up saying it having issues.  Whereas with XP its connected even before the desktop has loaded. Very odd.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 06:08:42 AM »

well OpenGL works just fine and has done for years, never had problems with sound/IO devices (although I haven't used a joystick under linux.) why would you want a "standard" UI? pretty sure AH looks the same whichever XP themes I have installed...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 06:24:42 AM »
OpenGL does not work on all the different distros of Linux out of the box.  Some distros do not have sound support at all.  Some do not have any input device support, other than a mouse.

A standard UI makes it easier for people to use Linux and go from one version to another.  The various distros cannot agree on which version of the X desktop to use.

There are, at least, three different directory structures with as many different installation methods.

Until you can open up all the different distros and use the same installation method for all of them, and they all support the same graphics API (out of the box), and they all support the same sound API, and the same input API, Linux will continue to be an "also-ran" in the operating system world.

People want something that works, out of the box.  They do not want to dink around with it.  Right now, and for the foreseeable future, putting Aces High II on Linux would be a support nightmare.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »
Someone did it successfully and posted about it on these boards, but that was years ago.
I'd give it a try, my next rig will definately be a dual boot with Linux and Windows.
So, if Linux = no AH, I use windows :D
XP pro works nicely for me, maybe next windows will be after Vista.....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 07:12:51 AM »
sure, but there are hundreds of distros ranging from fully featured desktop oriented ones to 1MB installs for embedded devices, noone expects to be able to run desktop apps on a vending machine.

I completely understand why there isn't a good business case for HTC developing for linux (it might be different if it used OpenGL rather than DX) but you give the impression that gaming on linux is either unfeasable, or very complicated when my experience its the opposite.

The games ive installed came with standard double-clickable installers just like under windows (except I didnt have to confirm several "are you sure?" dialogs along the way :rolleyes:) and ran flawlessly (unlike under windows.) same with punkbuster and teamspeak, so it can be done. :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 07:32:14 AM »
Never said it could not be done, but try running those same games, out of the box, on the top 25 distros.

You will be lucky to get 1/3 of them working without having to add modules and/or rebuild the kernel.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 10:19:22 AM »
Yep there are more flavors of linux out there than you can count!  I have even seen distros targeted for heavy MySpace users! :lol  Some distros have awesome hardware support out of the box and manage to install all of it flawlessly without the need for searching for drivers (One of my printer/scanner combos even was detected by Ubuntu flavors!)

And the comment about the Linux community being its own worst enemy is true too.  Everyone seems to want to have different types of installers ie RPM, YUM, TAR etc...  It does make it a real pain in the butt.  I suppose if linux is to move beyond the 'also runs on' footnote, one distro would have to truly stand out for desktop marketshare.  Ubuntu flavors may eventually fill that role because of their support for so much hardware right out of the box.  I absolutely love using Windows XP SP2 (Not SP3!) but even when I install XP, It takes 20 minutes or so to install then I have another 2 hours of updates and driver installs and system tweaking, etc etc - THEN I install my apps for graphics, cd/dvd burning, office software.  With the better linux distros, it takes 15-20 mins to install, then I am DONE... Apps are all there... I do wish the community would steer towards one type for the consumer desktop market.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »
My XP machine boots extremely fast too :)
Vista is a resource hog and I'll be using XP as long as I possibly can but at least when I'm finally forced to switch to a new MS OS I'll be able to play Aces High on it. :aok

I don't remember the name, but I know of at least one person who runs AH on his mac with bootcamp or something like that.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 02:12:30 PM »
At work I tested that out on my workstation Mac Pro with 2 quad core Xeon processors at 2.8Ghz per core... Win XP Pro and AH run like a scalded dog.... LOL for that matter so does anything else!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 02:54:39 PM »
Suggestion: Next time you buy, find someone that can build. It's a lot better to make your own, it takes some more research, but it's well worth it and much cheaper. I built my old gaming computer for $400 bucks and it worked perfectly, the same quality I would have gotten out of a 1 grand PC.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »
I always build my own, the mac pro is property of my boss.... sure wish it was mine though!
Vote R.E. Lee '24