Author Topic: What counts?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: What counts?
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »
personally, i dont belive score means everything, because not everyone (like myself) can be on ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, so we may have lower scores because of it, personally, i belive i am  a good pilot, and so do others, i could care less about score, because, for all u know, all those kills they got, could b vulches,cherry picks, and BnZs

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2008, 09:11:13 PM »
That's a nice historical quotation, but its age does not make it true.

No light means you cannot perceive color, true, but that has nothing to do with this argument.

You accept that result? :huh :huh  I'd like to see someone follow a similar line of argument in front of a judge.  "No your Honor, that policeman cannot identify me because the event in question happened at night.  He claims he saw a brown-haired man, but my hair is not brown after 9pm unless I am under a lamp."

I rest my case.

Oops... I forgot about this thread.  In the absence of light the policeman could not, in fact, identify the person in front of the judge so the first starement; "No your Honor, that policeman cannot identify me because the event in question happened at night" is correct.  The second statement; "He claims he saw a brown-haired man, but my hair is not brown after 9pm unless I am under a lamp." has no relevance uless of course, there was SOME light, in which case the person's hair color could be identified, however with a lesser degree of accuracy than in full light.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2008, 09:37:40 PM »
Oops... I forgot about this thread.  In the absence of light the policeman could not, in fact, identify the person in front of the judge so the first starement; "No your Honor, that policeman cannot identify me because the event in question happened at night" is correct.

Night is not the same thing as "absence of light."  The idea is that the policeman identified the suspect based on a property that remains fixed whether it is day or night.  The suspect tries to argue that the property in question, hair color, changes depending on the time of day, and therefore the policeman's identification is mistaken.  Naturally, the truth value of the description on your driver's license does not change with lighting conditions.

The second statement; "He claims he saw a brown-haired man, but my hair is not brown after 9pm unless I am under a lamp." has no relevance uless of course, there was SOME light, in which case the person's hair color could be identified, however with a lesser degree of accuracy than in full light.
Bingo.  You can tell a brown haired person from a black haired person at night or under low light conditions (with at least some accuracy and if you're close enough), even though the brown haired person's hair would be called black if it had the same appearance in daylight.
But to then claim that the brown haired person's hair is not brown under low light conditions, but in fact changes to black as bighorn admitted, is patently absurd. :P  Again, that would mean that the description on your drivers license was true by day but false by night.

These confusions do not arise from a misunderstanding of optics, physics, or science in general...
----------------------------------
The crazy thing about this digression is that no one would argue with me over this point were it not for the stubborn insistence to nit-pick zazen over his "the sky is blue" comment. :rolleyes:  Do you think that before this thread, bighorn would have agreed that a color label on a pair of pants is true in the light and false in the dark? :rofl  Of course not...no one would.  It is time to give this one up.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:49:31 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:30 PM »
heres how i feel. Showing some respect to most players is what counts for me. having fun is what counts, fair fights, not these 1-1 turn into 6-1's and they all picking you in la7's. thats how i feel about what counts, personally.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2008, 10:02:50 PM »
Ok, I just had a thought that should clear away the fog.

What bighorn and perhaps others have been arguing for is a different language to describe a state of affairs.  We could have a language where we called the same thing one color by day and another color by night, or under a black light, etc.  But that would not be the language we use today, i.e. the description on your driver's license does not have its justification in optics, but in linguistic convention.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:08:35 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2008, 01:03:32 AM »
The crazy thing about this digression is that no one would argue with me over this point were it not for the stubborn insistence to nit-pick zazen over his "the sky is blue" comment.

Ummm... it was a joke.  He said that people on the BBs would argue with him if he said the sky was blue, so I did. :)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »
Sometimes the sky is white with puffy cumulous clouds.
Sometimes the sky is grey, as on a gloomy day.
Sometimes the sky is red, as at sunrise or sunset.
Sometimes the sky is black, as at night.
Sometimes the sky is green, as before a major storm.

Probably not your best analogy.

Where was the smiley face? :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!