Author Topic: Mythbusters On Talking Planes Down  (Read 2351 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Mythbusters On Talking Planes Down
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:58:40 AM »
Hope no one posted on this yet. I was out of town and couldn't log in here with my laptop for some reason.

Anyone see the Mythbusters show on Discovery Channel yesterday night? They wanted to see if it was true (as in the movie Airplane) that a commercial airplane could be piloted by a passenger and landed if they were coached by someone on the ground. This is similar to the thread someone started that went along the line of wondering if ww2 pilots could play this game or us players could do well in real ww2 planes. Remember that recent thread?

Anyway, Mythbuster guys( MG) found that it's never been done with a commercial aircraft. Never happened before, although I remember watching a real thing on TV where a lady's husband died in a Cessna and she was coached down.

So, these guys end up using a NASA aircraft simulator. They're give a scenario and they go at it, not even playing this game before. Both MGs try it and crash the plane pretty quick. One thing I noticed is I had a slight idea of what the main display was and also thought the first guy was going too fast to land (+300mph).

So both the guys try it again. This time they have the experienced trainer coach them and both of them land real well, first time. Pretty impressive. Coach did a great job.

Coach then explained, and demonstrated, how the plane can just about land itself. Most planes are like that nowadays. He just set some dials, punched a few buttons and said that was all someone really needed to do, rather than try and land manually.

Neat stuff. I'd love to try that test blind myself. Wish there was a ww2 plane simulator like that. It made it seem like you were in the real thing.

I couldn't find the show on their web site. Maybe it's not on there yet? www.discovery.com/mythbusters

Keep an eye out and it will probably be aired again. Anybody else see the show?

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
Re: Mythbusters On Talking Planes Down
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:03:52 AM »
Hope no one posted on this yet. I was out of town and couldn't log in here with my laptop for some reason.

Anyone see the Mythbusters show on Discovery Channel yesterday night? They wanted to see if it was true (as in the movie Airplane) that a commercial airplane could be piloted by a passenger and landed if they were coached by someone on the ground. This is similar to the thread someone started that went along the line of wondering if ww2 pilots could play this game or us players could do well in real ww2 planes. Remember that recent thread?

Anyway, Mythbuster guys( MG) found that it's never been done with a commercial aircraft. Never happened before, although I remember watching a real thing on TV where a lady's husband died in a Cessna and she was coached down.

So, these guys end up using a NASA aircraft simulator. They're give a scenario and they go at it, not even playing this game before. Both MGs try it and crash the plane pretty quick. One thing I noticed is I had a slight idea of what the main display was and also thought the first guy was going too fast to land (+300mph).

So both the guys try it again. This time they have the experienced trainer coach them and both of them land real well, first time. Pretty impressive. Coach did a great job.

Coach then explained, and demonstrated, how the plane can just about land itself. Most planes are like that nowadays. He just set some dials, punched a few buttons and said that was all someone really needed to do, rather than try and land manually.

Neat stuff. I'd love to try that test blind myself. Wish there was a ww2 plane simulator like that. It made it seem like you were in the real thing.

I couldn't find the show on their web site. Maybe it's not on there yet? www.discovery.com/mythbusters

Keep an eye out and it will probably be aired again. Anybody else see the show?
I could take an f4u4 up and land it successfully I think pretty easy. It would consist of my knowing the cock-pit little more and feeling it. I already use peddals and a joystick. I think flight training in actual school mostly teaches you the rules and also some of the physics involved its self

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:13 AM »
That's actually a rather old episode, I remember watching it a while ago. Pretty cool.
BTW I think the software behind that simulator was Microsoft Flight Simulator. The graphical rendering was, at least.

Mythbusters is a cool show :aok And Karie Byron is really hot :D

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:47 AM »
That's actually a rather old episode, I remember watching it a while ago. Pretty cool.
BTW I think the software behind that simulator was Microsoft Flight Simulator. The graphical rendering was, at least.

Mythbusters is a cool show :aok And Karie Byron is really hot :D
Bahh , not close. She's tolerable... id tap it if I were buzzed

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 01:09:03 AM »
You're either insane or gay.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:12:59 AM by Motherland »

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »
Once you been to the top you dont look at the bottom of the barrel

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 01:56:01 AM »
I could take an f4u4 up and land it successfully I think pretty easy. It would consist of my knowing the cock-pit little more and feeling it. I already use peddals and a joystick. I think flight training in actual school mostly teaches you the rules and also some of the physics involved its self

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but there's some things the game doesn't require, trim is one of them. I don't know if I saw it somewhere, or heard it here, but some old P51 pilot was talking about setting the trim on his plane. He said there were some wheels you had to adjust to set the trim. I got the impression trim was adjusted regularly.

I don't know if they had a default combat trim back then, like they do in this game, but I tried to manually set my trim here a few years ago and nearly crashed the plane. Didn't know the keyboard commands to return to combat trim. I'll never try that again.

There's probably some unpleasant surprises awaiting those of us that would like to try the real thing, but we do learn some stuff here.

Decades ago, I took a meteorology class at a local junior college. The guy that taught that class was also a flight instructor and they had one of those old flight simulators in a nearby room. He let me try it once.

It was a simple thing. A room with black and white landscape figures on all four walls. The simulator sat in the middle and had rudimentary controls like steering wheel, pedals, etc. As you turned the wheel, the plane would pivot, simulating your flight.

I lasted maybe thirty seconds, with the stall buzzer starting soon after I "took off". I crashed.

I think I might have avoided that now, having some experience with AH. Thinking back, I probably took off at too steep and angle and was definitely turning too much. Lost too much E. Not sure if I was using the pedals right, if at all. I'd like to try that old style simulator again to see how I'd do now. Bet I'd last a bit longer and wouldn't be too surprised if I could land it after a few tries.

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 01:59:28 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
i want to push her in :D

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 02:04:15 AM »
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but there's some things the game doesn't require, trim is one of them. I don't know if I saw it somewhere, or heard it here, but some old P51 pilot was talking about setting the trim on his plane. He said there were some wheels you had to adjust to set the trim. I got the impression trim was adjusted regularly.

I don't know if they had a default combat trim back then, like they do in this game, but I tried to manually set my trim here a few years ago and nearly crashed the plane. Didn't know the keyboard commands to return to combat trim. I'll never try that again.

There's probably some unpleasant surprises awaiting those of us that would like to try the real thing, but we do learn some stuff here.

Decades ago, I took a meteorology class at a local junior college. The guy that taught that class was also a flight instructor and they had one of those old flight simulators in a nearby room. He let me try it once.

It was a simple thing. A room with black and white landscape figures on all four walls. The simulator sat in the middle and had rudimentary controls like steering wheel, pedals, etc. As you turned the wheel, the plane would pivot, simulating your flight.

I lasted maybe thirty seconds, with the stall buzzer starting soon after I "took off". I crashed.

I think I might have avoided that now, having some experience with AH. Thinking back, I probably took off at too steep and angle and was definitely turning too much. Lost too much E. Not sure if I was using the pedals right, if at all. I'd like to try that old style simulator again to see how I'd do now. Bet I'd last a bit longer and wouldn't be too surprised if I could land it after a few tries.
I manually work my trims most flights already. Just need to adjust them according to what your doing. You go options prefs flight turn off auto trim. This enables u to increase you knowledge of planes and how they work which is why i turned them off. So thats no problem for me. As i said in the post , finding them in cockpit would be little difficult tho

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 02:04:54 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Orange hair = Gross , Small everything.. As i said before ... tolerable

Offline thedudee95

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 02:21:02 AM »
http://www.c00lstuff.com/1153/Kari_Byron_FHM_photo_shoot_video/

if u think that Kari Byron isnt hot, then u sir are not Human!!!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 02:25:21 AM »
No, 'orange' hair is 'gross'!
:rolleyes: :lol

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 02:29:08 AM »
They didn't call the F4Us Ensign Killers for nothing.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 03:46:33 AM »
http://www.c00lstuff.com/1153/Kari_Byron_FHM_photo_shoot_video/

if u think that Kari Byron isnt hot, then u sir are not Human!!!

I'm definitely not human then.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 03:58:13 AM »
You don't adjust the trim "constantly."  You just adjust it so you don't have to fight with the plane.  Center stick should be level straight flight, you just trim it to whatever that may be.

I personally have the feeling that I could land a plane if need be.  I've been flying simulators since I was 10 or so, always loved aircraft, no idea why.  Anyway, gave me a good idea of what ideal speeds are and the position of controls.  Thanks to MSFS's virtual cockpit, I can operate autopilot, gear, flaps, etc. etc. based on location! :rock  However, I'm speculating this due to the fact that I've never ACTUALLY flown a 737.  However, I do hear that the bigger the plane, the easier it is to fly!
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D