Author Topic: Before I do this... DirectX  (Read 1827 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Before I do this... DirectX
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 05:08:24 AM »
Oh just a crazy thought: Have you tried only MS mediaplayer? Try Videolan VLC it's one of the best players around. Free.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 09:31:36 AM »
I'll try the XP Codec pack you mentioned Ack-Ack. As for the K-Lite Codec packages, I have tried them before but they never solved the issue. As for your question MrRiplEy[H], I have tried other players, including the one you mentioned. Obviously I would have tried others if I uninstalled Windows Media Player out of disgust for the program.

EDIT: Installed the XP Codec package, still not working.  :(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:36:05 AM by Denholm »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 08:47:28 PM »
What video card are you using?  What driver version is installed for it?

Can you give an example of something you are trying to play but won't (a link from AH films forum perhaps?)?  I have a W2K box still as my secondary computer at home, I could make sure it runs for me. 

Finally, what service pack are you running?

If I had to guess, my first guess would be a bad video card driver, second guess would be that your Direct X accelleration slider is set down a notch or three, third guess is there's something really wrong with your video card.  But there's not really enough to go on yet to do more than guess, unfortunately.

Edit:  From your DXDIAG file I see that you're running SP4 and that you've got a GeForce 7600 GS.  That driver version for your video card, 6.14.0010.9371, doesn't mean a whole lot to me, but its a relatively recent date (5/18/2007) at least.  The only question based on your DXDIAG file I have is, why does it appear that you have both a Soundblaster Audio PCI and a Sound Blaster Audigy installed?  If you really have both installed, can you remove one (the AudioPCI preferably) and see if that helps?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:54:02 PM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 09:03:20 AM »
I'm using the SoundBlaster AudioPCI for my microphone because my SoundBlaster Audigy is simply too quiet when it comes to sending microphone input over the web.

Before I had my system reformatted a few months ago it worked just fine with this setup. If you think this might help resolve the situation I'll be glad to do it.

EDIT: I just looked into Video Codecs listed in the Device Manager. There is one codec on the list that says, "driver is enabled but not functioning properly." It also gave me an error stating that it cannot locate the codec / driver file and I should try re-installing the codec. The codec name is:

ffdshow.ax

Any ideas if finding and installing this codec / driver might solve the issue?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:12:20 AM by Denholm »
FlameThink.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 09:16:52 AM »
I can't help you with this problem but I did notice in your DXDiag that you are very close to filling your hard drive and, when too close (2 Gb remaining is where I've started to run into problems in the past), it will start to cause system instability.  I'd consider either getting a newer larger one and mirroring the current one over or adding another and transferring some stuff off your C drive.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 09:22:08 AM »
I've been contemplating that. Which type would you recommend that has around 250GB and spins at 7200 RPM? I can already guess a Seagate. ;)
FlameThink.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 10:09:10 AM »
I've been contemplating that. Which type would you recommend that has around 250GB and spins at 7200 RPM? I can already guess a Seagate. ;)

You are correct.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »
I'm using only Western Digital for years now and they've been trouble free. Good price/performance ratio too.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »
I'm using only Western Digital for years now and they've been trouble free. Good price/performance ratio too.

Five year warranty on Seagate vs. one year on WD.  Prices are comperable.

I've got 3 Seagates and 3 WD's at home.  The only one I've ever had a problem with is one of the WD's.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »
You still have 2 GB free, that's more than enough, so that isn't the problem.  Obviously in these days of downloading music and video, you might use it up soon and you'd want to upgrade for that reason, but it isn't the source of your problems.

ffdshow is a Divx / Xvid / MP4 codec, and if its not installed right, it could be the source of the problem.  I'd uninstall / re-install it.

About Direct X acceleration, I'd still like to make sure you have the slider maxed.  I'm at work and all the computers here are XP, but I think the way to get to it is the same on W2k.

Right-Click an empty spot on your desktop and pick Properties to get to the Display Properties control panel.  Go to the Settings tab.  Click Advanced.  Click the Troubleshoot tab.  I'm hoping at this point you see a Hardware Acceleration slider.  If its set to less than Full, it could be the source of the troubles, since every notch less than Full disables more and more parts of Direct X.

If it is set to Full, experiment with setting it down a notch at a time, and see if that helps.  It could narrow down the possible cause of the problems.

Finally, try playing your files using Media Player Classic.  For info:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Player_Classic .  To download:  http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm .
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 01:07:31 PM »
Five year warranty on Seagate vs. one year on WD.  Prices are comperable.

I've got 3 Seagates and 3 WD's at home.  The only one I've ever had a problem with is one of the WD's.

WD's have 5 years warranty down here at least. 1 year sounds kinda weird..

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »
Boiler, the hardware acceleration tab is at full. Earlier today when talking to a homeschooling tech support guy he had me move the notches down to possibly resolve the issue. It did not help in any way. I have used Windows Media Player 6.4 in the past to try to play some of these videos but it didn't work, same problem. And just to confirm... Yes, I downloaded and tried the same media player you asked me to use.

I tried reinstalling DivX before to resolve the issue, and will try again. If that doesn't fix it is there a way to specifically install the ffdshow codec?
FlameThink.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 01:17:36 PM »
WD's have 5 years warranty down here at least. 1 year sounds kinda weird..

I was partially mistaken.  I just went to newegg to check.  Some of the WD's are 1 year, some are 3 years, some are 5 years.  Seagates are all 5 years.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 01:19:32 PM »
FlameThink.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Seagates are good performers too. I'm running WD 320 RE2:s in Raid10 configuration (4 hd's two mirrored mirrors striped).

Gives very nice performance and fault tolerance for 200€.