Author Topic: good store computers for AH  (Read 932 times)

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
Re: good store computers for AH
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 10:25:25 AM »
I don't believe anyone would argue about saving $100 these days.

It depends on what you value your personal time at.
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 03:52:14 PM »
well last year i bought wal-mart emachine 2.8 gig $579 then upgraded to geforce 8800 gts pro vid card $149 and 1 gig memory $49 and the game has played awesome for me ... getting 56-60 fps constantly.  total cost $777 ... i think that is a good price

PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline jtdragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 11:09:47 PM »
Thanks Hawk, did do the backup DVD,s. I have built two PC's but this time when I started pricing everything I wanted the savings just were not there and time was a factor.
JT

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 02:56:00 AM »
I've used Dell computers at home and at work and like them a lot.  For about $450, you can have a Dell machine that is plenty enough for gaming (Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB hard disk) then add a $100 graphics card from, say, newegg.com.  That's perhaps competitive with building it yourself, and probably cheaper than building it yourself if you figure in any cost whatsoever to your own time.

Over the years, I've used Dells, HP's, Compaqs, Gateways, IBM's, and custom built and have been in on buying decisions for about 300 computers over time.  I like Dell the best.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 09:28:47 AM »
I've used Dell computers at home and at work and like them a lot.  For about $450, you can have a Dell machine that is plenty enough for gaming (Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB hard disk) then add a $100 graphics card from, say, newegg.com.  That's perhaps competitive with building it yourself, and probably cheaper than building it yourself if you figure in any cost whatsoever to your own time.

Over the years, I've used Dells, HP's, Compaqs, Gateways, IBM's, and custom built and have been in on buying decisions for about 300 computers over time.  I like Dell the best.
One of the biggest advantages pre-made machines have over home builds is if you don't have an OS (or disks for it) then you need to drop $130+ at least on an OS where as a pre-made machines lower the cost when incorporating parts + OS.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 01:31:41 PM »
One of the biggest disadvantages of premade computers is that they come with the worst OS made in the last 10 years + a huge amount of bloatware. And in the worst case you still don't get the install disc for your OS.

It pays to get the real OS license in the long run.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »
In case anyone is wondering there are some deals at Best Buy on decent spec pre-built Dell's and Gateways now for less than $900 including the monitor and printer. Personally I can build it myself and have a blast making the thing scream without the bloatware but sometimes you have to steer people into the pre-built world.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
The last home built computer I had smoked the mother board ( bad CPU fan).  I had to replace it in short order due to Wife needing a computer quickly.  Her comment on the new HP from sensless buy operates seamlessly.  That was the only good comment from her, other comment made - why won't it run the Small Business Suite (MS) as quickly as the home built.  2 trays full of programs & running two HP printers at the same time.  I started upgrading it (at her request, less than 60 days after the purchase).  :noid  :rofl
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »
best buy is a rip off. Next time go online probably would have saved around $300 or got better computer.
See Rule #6

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 10:09:53 AM »
One of the biggest disadvantages of premade computers is that they come with the worst OS made in the last 10 years + a huge amount of bloatware. And in the worst case you still don't get the install disc for your OS.

It pays to get the real OS license in the long run.
Very true as well.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 10:12:08 AM »
best buy is a rip off. Next time go online probably would have saved around $300 or got better computer.
Their deals for premade comps are generally fairly good between other competitors.  However, the accessories (and dork squad) is where they make their profit.  $33 for a 6 ft USB cable?  Did Jesus himself use it for his printer?  Perhaps signed by the 1933 New York Yankees?  $40 to install my anti-virus and "system optimization"?  Why don't I just give you all my credit cards and I'll close my eyes.