Author Topic: Incoming !!! Battle stations Battle Stations!!  (Read 131 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Incoming !!! Battle stations Battle Stations!!
« on: September 21, 2000, 11:52:00 AM »
Someone pointed out (joemud?) that it would be cool to have 20 and 40mm ack that we could 'man' on the CV's, protecting our fleet, I think this would be a financially good feature for HTC to implement into the CV's, as well as their idea of having PT boats, etc.  Theres a whole group of guys out there that loved Naval sims, having just a fraction of what other Naval sims had could be $$ for
HTC.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2000, 12:06:00 PM »
I'm with ya Rip! Manable AAA guns would really kick butt, just imagine manning a 5-inch turret to kill the kamakaze attack! Twin 40mm Bofors guns, now there's where the money is. Best thing to kill any aircraft.
Now only if we got proximity fuses for these things....

Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"My art is the wings of an aircraft through the skies, my music the deep hum of a prop as it slices the air, my thrill the thunder of guns tearing asunder an enemy plane."
Flakbait
19 September 2000

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2000, 12:18:00 PM »
 I think it would a hoot to give out free "gunner" accounts. A bit along the lines of the free two week trial thing, but a little different in that anyone can gun a mannable flak but cannot fly/drive/navigate any craft in the sim. I see alot of newbies who come online, want to be in the thick of things with the MA action but take a break from endlessly dying or crashing by asking to gun someones bomber.
 Get em in the door, tease em by letting them gun but not fly and then hook em for a full fledged account when they can't take it anymore and they just have to get airborne too!  

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 09-21-2000).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2000, 05:19:00 PM »
Well, humans are much more dangerous than ack.

Think it'd disrupt game play a bit, as strafing acks would be impossible, and those guns on ships are well armored (some) and many in a small space.

Would be fun, but the Ostwind did tell me something about game balance.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2000, 05:27:00 PM »
Great idea Westy!  
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

dbcooper

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2000, 08:19:00 PM »
  Being a retired Navy vet I agree with most of what you say. Except the 5in. wasn't very acurate of AA flakbait. They were AP rounds as well as starshells for illuminating targets at night. Now that would be cool if we ever get the night back. Hitting tatgets with 40mm pom pom was no easy feat on a rolling pitching deck. The way it was done was to fill the air with so much lead nothing could get through. That was after the fighters had there shot at them. But you have to remmember these guys were bent on dieing. Modeling WW2 Navy warfare could be done but you would have to have some kind of a command system. Lets see what HT and Pyro have in mind.