Author Topic: Found great site for X-52 and CH comparisons --READ IF INTERESTED--  (Read 1204 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ch_products_saitek_x52_review/default.asp

Guys, my dad found this site if you want a good comparison between the X52 stick/throttle package and the CH stick/throttle.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
Re: Found great site for X-52 and CH comparisons --READ IF INTERESTED--
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »
Good review.  Very fair and accurate.

I find it amazing that even though that review is three years old, it could have been written yesterday without changing a single word.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »
Great review. I'll add a few comments that are unmentioned in the reviews.

Another X52 Con - The X52 "sliding ring" mechanism of applying pressure to stick is highly counterintuitive to flying, as it requires the MOST pressure to start moving from center, and gets easier as you gain leverage.  This can make the stick very difficult to make those minute last-second adjustments lining up a shot, as you have to push hardest to start the stick moving from center, and it's very easy to overshoot where you'd intended to move it to, because it's hard to start and then moves more easily.

CH - Con (mitigating factor).  While the complaint about the size of the stick is very much spot on, it's really very easy to adjust the hand rest to a comfortable position simply by cutting a piece of foam and taping it in place on top of the actual hand rest on the stick.  (Or alternatively, see Homeboys thread where he removed a section of the stick to shorten it ...)

(AH specific)  Using rotaries for managing trim in AH is no where near as optimal as it is in other sims I've flown, and therefore isn't nearly as much of a "PRO" for the Saitek stick if this is your only sim.  This is because every other sim I've used a rotary control in has adjusted trim instantaneously to the position of the analog control which was intuitive (but potentially allowed for non-realistic trimming, as it's not possible to trim instantaneously in a real aircraft).   AH on the other hand seems to have the trim "adjust into" the position of the analog control at what seems like exactly the rate it would move if you held down the keys to adjust trim, which because we don't have any stick forces to "feel" our trim state in, meant a constant battle of over and undershooting the desired trim state as you tried to "guess" where the trim was going to end up, especially as the X52 lacks enough range to allow anyone but a surgeon to adjust the rotaries with the absolute precision required.

<S>
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:43:48 PM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 05:35:49 PM »
Any way of possibly pinning this down skuz? I think it good to keep here. This is the best site i've seen for this topic. I mean, this site got me to seal my idea of buying my newest CH ftrstick/throttle/pedal set  :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:45:53 PM by 321BAR »
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »
Great review. I'll add a few comments that are unmentioned in the reviews.

Another X52 Con - The X52 "sliding ring" mechanism of applying pressure to stick is highly counterintuitive to flying, as it requires the MOST pressure to start moving from center, and gets easier as you gain leverage.  This can make the stick very difficult to make those minute last-second adjustments lining up a shot, as you have to push hardest to start the stick moving from center, and it's very easy to overshoot where you'd intended to move it to, because it's hard to start and then moves more easily.

I found that widening the dead zone a little help to reduce this, but, it can be annoying for some shots.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »
I have been working with squaddies in learning how to setup joysticks properly for constant 'eyes on bandit' and effectiveness in flight controls and one thing that has always come clear is the amount of deadband required to tame down the rudder control with the X52. I dont know how anyone could fly with it at default settings and once set for proper shooting I would think it would be too rigid for combat.

Somehow they forgot to mention lifespan...

According to that article I must be a 900lb gorilla.  :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:36:31 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 04:58:02 PM »
I have been working with squaddies in learning how to setup joysticks properly for constant 'eyes on bandit' and effectiveness in flight controls and one thing that has always come clear is the amount of deadband required to tame down the rudder control with the X52. I dont know how anyone could fly with it at default settings and once set for proper shooting I would think it would be too rigid for combat.

Somehow they forgot to mention lifespan...

According to that article I must be a 900lb gorilla.  :D
the lifespan thing wasnt known when the article was written, and btw, i use the CH Flightstick over the fighterstick, u only need to be a 500lb gorilla to use it. :rofl jk, it fits my (mid size) hand very well, like a glove...Yes it has less buttons, but u dont need em all..Three plus the 8way and trigger are fine with the throttle and (CH) pedals
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:03:25 AM »
I cannot say I've has issues with the X52 centring mechanism. The movement seems smooth throughout.
I've also had not issues with the using the rotaries for trim adjustments though I do wish they were both the same size. I use the top one for Rudder trim and the lower one for elevator trim and I do find it tricky sometimes to get the smaller wheel set just right for the finer things like setting up a hands free glide path on approach.
My sticks also double as playthings for an exuberant 2 year old and so far they are holding up just fine. Almost 3 years on them now.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »
yes, i know i bumped this, but i wanted to add that, my Flightstick Pro, i believe is a good alternative to the Fighterstick Pro. I say this because you can fit your hand comfortably, and I have had little to no problems with it...It is also pretty accurate for a joystick
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
im bumping this again because i really think it is good enough to tell many people about it...
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 07:38:35 PM »
yes, i know i bumped this, but i wanted to add that, my Flightstick Pro, i believe is a good alternative to the Fighterstick Pro. I say this because you can fit your hand comfortably, and I have had little to no problems with it...It is also pretty accurate for a joystick
It's always a plus if your joystick fits comfortably in the hand...
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 01:39:42 AM »
I sure could have wrote that article right down to the splitter hub. I've owned the x45, x52, and x52 pro. None were satisfying or reliable although the ease of use and ergonomics were there. Went to CH products earlier this year and haven't looked back. Just last week I got tired of recalibrating my ch stick every time I played and sometimes 2 and 3 times during play. Then out of desperation I unplugged the controls from the splitter hub and directly into the computer. Wala, only calibrated once since then.

I have to tell you though I sure miss the timer that the x52 pro had but that is about it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »
Getback sounds to me like the USB Hub you were using had power issues.

There are two things I do  when I setup my HOTAS.

First......in almost 18yrs of flying on line flight sims I've learned that CH Products are the most reliable and cheapest to use in the long run.

I myself prefer the 586 USB Combatstick.  Along with the Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals they are unbeatable.  There are enough sliders, buttons and 4 way and 8 way hats to make your keyboard useless for anything but typing in-game.  All views are setup on the stick and throttle combination.  I have a full 360 degree view around the plane as well as up in all directions.  All trim is setup on the throttle.

Now...getting back to how I setup.  I use a powered 7 Port USB Hub from GigaByte.  I plug in my controls one at a time.  After it is recognized I shut off the PC then plug another control (2nd) and follow same procedure until all 3 are recognized.  I calibrate them using the advanced tab and watch the inputs to the various axis and slider. (Calibrate advanced in game) after calibrating in Windows.

Then  ....if using my controls in game and I have a problem I hook it or them up to the PC directly not using the HUB.  If they work better attached to my PC then more then likely the HUB is the problem.

Remember...always calibrate in Windows first!  Then again use the advanced configuration when setting up your controls in game and watch the numbers when moving your control and watch the input number when they are centered or not moved.  The less movement in number when the control is centered (should be none since there is no input) the better.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 07:47:26 AM »
X-52...bouncy like a boucy ball when trying to line up a shot (presumably for reasons mentioned above).

CH stick....MUCH less bounce.

I can actually hit stuff with the CH stick...couldn't hit the side of a barn with the X-52.

No further review needed IMHO.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »
Any way of possibly pinning this down skuz? I think it good to keep here. This is the best site i've seen for this topic.

Agree with a sticky on the link. Not a week goes by without someone asking Saitek vs CH questions.