Author Topic: Wotan's Whine  (Read 304 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
Guys the guy who dies is THE GUY WHO CRASHES INTO ANOTHER PLANE ON HIS FE.  That's it.  Nothing to do with connections or whatever.  If you don't want to die in collisions, DON'T CRASH INTO OTHER PLANES.  

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRGH!!!!
  :mad:
 :D

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
umm fatty people complain about everything .........

you can tell by this thread..........

oops I started this thread  :eek:

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Hey Wotan et all

Same complaint here.  The other night I was driving the Lancaster, trying to find Lazs so I could ruin his fun  <JEST!>.  

Anyways, I had a P-51 dive down on me, almost didn't see him.  Jumped into the tail gunner spot just in time to see him fire and dive into my aircraft.  Instantly I was back in the tower and those who saw the thing happen said the guy had no damage was still up and flying around.

Wouldn't ramming something large like a Lancaster produce some damage on a P-51?  

Same as you, my pings were in the 60s to 70s and the netstatus was flat.  How can I be dead, and the rammer is not?  

The whole head-on/ramming thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  I understand the theory and science behind it.  But if one side detects collision, shouldnt the server pass that out to both parties?

I feel your pain, its pretty much how I lost a 262 the other night too.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
FYI, I have no complaint about how it's modelled.

I was offering up an example that not just fast high speed conns get the toejam end of the stick with regards to collisions.

I think the current implementation is best. I don't want to die to a collision because the other guy has a toejamty connection and I can't avoid him on his FE.
-SW

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2001, 02:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul:
But if one side detects collision, shouldnt the server pass that out to both parties?.

Would we then all be whining about ...............

<goober1>  "I quit this funked up game! I have been just blowing up over and over when the other guy is no where near me! Happened six time last week! I am an extraodinarily skilled pilit and there is no way I collide with stuff. I take special care to stay alive and dork1 took me out last night when I should have been given the kill!"

<goober2> " I have had enuf of the pathetic suicide tactics in use by new comers now. This game has gone down hill and deep into the mine! These newbies just crash into my 262 and I loose my perkie points due to what some other idiot sees on his FE! Why should I be penalised by his bad connection"

<goober 3> "punt.............

etc etc etc
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »
After reading ht replies in the other thread I don't see any alternative that would improve upon the current model.

It sucks no doudt but somethings you just gotta accept.

This thread was a whine I dont do it much but here you go whine whine whine

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Wotan ]

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2001, 12:07:00 AM »
It's been quite a while, but I do recall one incident that really shook me up about collisions.

I was flying at 15k in a B17. Along comes an F4U with a few thousand angels on me. He sets up for a belly run, but when I gave him a short spray he stayed nose low and went out in front of my nose by several hundred yards (his FE). On MY FE he came right up through my belly and I died (the 3-9 line turret thing did me in I guess). He never fired a shot, but still got the kill.

I hate collisions, too.

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2001, 01:37:00 AM »
Hitech always pulls the 'what if someone bounces you from 6 and collides you' card when talking about collision modeling..

HT means that somehow he tried to create the CM so that only the person whose fault the collision seems to be, dies..

Sure it would suck, but it's worse to collide and see the other person fly away. Especially if CM calculated the situation wrong and the player had nothing to do with causing the collision..

In real life planes did collide. Some even with purpose.. LW pilots were known to chop off vertical stabs from allied bombers if they ran out of ammo as the last resort.. Not to mention kamikaze pilots.

So I say revise the CM, make both planes receive the damage. (Only realistic approach also btw..)

That way both will go down, but at least everyone knows the situation was a tie.. Nobody gets the unfair advantage of the mishap.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
Hitech is right. Ive more than once came in hot on a con and smashed into them. If it wasnt for dieing in a collision it would make a bounce that much easier. Hold the trigger and fly right on through  them.
 If you dont like getting shocked, dont stick your finger in a light socket, if you dont like dieing in a collision, dont fly into another plane. Is simple really.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Wotan's Whine
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2001, 09:41:00 AM »
again you all with these simplistic answers

"dont hit umm" is irrelevant to the situation I described in the opening post.

I'm in a tight scissor upon reverse (split second) I am hit by another pilot. He sees himself well under me. I see his tracers well away from me. When I go reverse I check hi 6 to see a prop headed at me. Too late for your simple "don't hit umm"

My only point was the other plane wasn't trying to hit me and in a situation like the one I described you would not expect to colide. Give the view in his fe hes well safe.

However I see no other alternative to the present cm.