Author Topic: My contribution to the night debate.  (Read 1246 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: My contribution to the night debate.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 10:51:41 AM »
Next time go into the Arena Settings and look for ColorLight(night) and move all three siders all the way to the right.

THEN take your pics. and post them.  Huge diff.

When properly setup, Night is basically as clear as day.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »
The 1st I heard of Aces High was when Flossy told other squaddies that she had gunned on a lancaster during a night bombing mission on a sim called Aces High.

Nuf said.  I was hooked.

After AW folded, we bought subscriptions to AH.

AH is still fun.  I played last week for a couple days.  It is VERY much more point and shoot than it used to be.  Retooled for the kids.  Less my cup of tea than it was.  Still fun mind you.  But not like it was.

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 01:10:45 PM »
The way Aces used to handle the night cycle was in my oppion perfect.  I don't know why everybody complained so much.  ...I enjoyed it!

They had it set to where it went all the way dark and then it started towards dawn.  In reality It was only night for about 5min.  It seems pretty lame to complain about 5min of darkness.

Total time from Sun down to Sun up was maybe 30-45 of twilight ...dark ...dawn ...what is so hard about that?  In reality it was only hard to see for maybe 20min at most?

I found flying in the twilight/predawn light very enjoyable.  Also the stars looked great and you could even use them to navigate by!

Why don't the whiners just adjust their gamma? ...and let the rest of us enjoy it?

Better yet,  since folks dislike it so much just log off for 30min? ....gee whiz you cant live w/ out aces high for 30min? ...go eat a sandwich maybe? 

.....Maybe fly an attack run? ...or a bomber run? ...up a tank? ...for the brief period of night? ......it's so tuff to deal with aint it?

Frankly I'm pretty damn tired of having to listen to the "Furball Mafia" endlessly complain about how they can't furball every second of their lives. I have never had a problem flying a fighter in the dark and since most of the complainers are better pilots then me I can't uderstand how they are so jaded that they can't deal with it? ....yeah god forbid you should have to compromise with anybody? ......gee whiz   :furious

Helm ...out

XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 01:22:52 PM »
I think helm's description of 30 minutes tops would be acceptable in a 24 hour period of online play.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 05:01:38 PM »
Never had a problem with night flying, alot of combat took place at night.
It was a bad move, for years to come.

~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 05:56:07 PM »
GV battles at night are pretty intense and fun! :rock

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »
I really want my very limited playing time to be screwed by night.  You kids can play all day, some of us have to work for a living though.  Night just hampers the fight, it's only fun for squeakie toolshedders sneaking around trying to hide. 

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
I really want my very limited playing time to be screwed by night.  You kids can play all day, some of us have to work for a living though.  Night just hampers the fight, it's only fun for squeakie toolshedders sneaking around trying to hide. 

Oh come on .....so you have what 30min to fly??...and it just so happens that the 30min you have to fly occurs at exact moment we have night time?  ...B.S.

....so we should all pay the price so you can have your 30min of flying time?

I'm not a freaking kid...and I do not play all day.

Helm ...out
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:48:45 PM by Helm »
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »
I think the pattern of this thread and every other night thread, is that a good number of those who use to fly when night was around don't want it back. and those that yet to experience it do. Simply because it's different and anything different must be good.  Even for 30 minutes night was a pain. Everyone complained when it was time to come in, crank up the gamma and brightness and carry on. Those that didn't adjust their monitor were left with a disadvantaged, having to be in a bright sunny room at the time was even worse.

Time AH moved on from this same old graphics engine and useless features like night. At least introduce some realistic cloud layers and a weather engine would be 100 times better and might actually draw some new players in rather then night which will fill the forums with whines as it did first time around.

If you want night save it for those little FSO scenarios or what ever they are.

And someone mentioned improved resolution? That hasn't changed either, use to look just great on my 21" CRT at 1600x1200 when I first started playing.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
I think the pattern of this thread and every other night thread, is that a good number of those who use to fly when night was around don't want it back. and those that yet to experience it do. Simply because it's different and anything different must be good.  Even for 30 minutes night was a pain. Everyone complained when it was time to come in, crank up the gamma and brightness and carry on. Those that didn't adjust their monitor were left with a disadvantaged, having to be in a bright sunny room at the time was even worse.

Time AH moved on from this same old graphics engine and useless features like night. At least introduce some realistic cloud layers and a weather engine would be 100 times better and might actually draw some new players in rather then night which will fill the forums with whines as it did first time around.

If you want night save it for those little FSO scenarios or what ever they are.

And someone mentioned improved resolution? That hasn't changed either, use to look just great on my 21" CRT at 1600x1200 when I first started playing.

<S>...-Gixer

Useless features? ....what is useless about night flying? ...it takes more skill? ....5min of darkness is NOT beyond your abilities ....give me a break

war is about weather and environmental conditions ...it's not conducted in a test tube ...yes ...sometimes its dark...and it rains ...snow...etc etc

you act like it's going to be night time 24 hrs a day 7 days a week ....come on

Helm ...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 06:47:59 PM »
Useless features? ....what is useless about night flying? ...it takes more skill? ....5min of darkness is NOT beyond your abilities ....give me a break

war is about weather and environmental conditions ...it's not conducted in a test tube ...yes ...sometimes its dark...and it rains ...snow...etc etc

you act like it's going to be night time 24 hrs a day 7 days a week ....come on

Helm ...out

War you say...i thought this was a game. Thanks for filling us in. :rolleyes:
See Rule #4

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 06:49:34 PM »
I don't even like the silly twilight that we have now.  Going full night would cause me to log off for sure.  No sane developer intentionally incorporates a feature that will drive away customers.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »
I remember the old night, it was a PITA and I didn't like it a whole lot, but things have changed in the last couple of years.
If it was the way it is now I wouldn't have minded as much.
I'll be uploading the new SS's I got early this morning of the mesa map we see in the MA today.
I have also included some shots on the ground from the GV perspective.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 06:58:03 PM »

The only skill required is cranking up the gamma and brightness, making it null and void.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 07:10:58 PM »
Since we now have many arenas All I propose is that ONE arena gets some night in it's time cycle.
I'm confident that those that try it now (It has been a long time since it was a regular feature) will like it and the extra challenge it brings!
:aok
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder