Author Topic: Screen still freezing  (Read 494 times)

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
Screen still freezing
« on: August 30, 2008, 08:13:50 PM »
Even in offline mode.  I have turned off AA, and AS, followed all tips and hints by Skuzzy, and Waffle.  I've turned off other players skins, all graphic effects, set the max texture size down to 128, even deleted all sound packs.  I've even run CCleaner, and defragged the HD, and still getting close (1.5km-0m) to other aircraft I get a 1-4 second freeze every now and again. 

I know my CPU isn't the greatest

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+,  MMX,  3DNow, ~1.8GHz
             Memory: 382MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Video Devices
-------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6100
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: GeForce 6100
         DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
   Display Memory: 128.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)  (Play AH at 800x600 32bit 60Hz)(Poo poo res, but beginning to think it not a video problem)

Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Screen still freezing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »
I played this with SOLID 35 FPS on an 800Mhz P3, GeForce DDR-DVI, 384mb of PC100 and a Creative SB Audigy Gamer.   

I had 14 processes running with AH up, with XP Pro.    My guess, you have too much crap going on in the background.  Your system is superior to my old system and I am guessing you have SP2.   I reverted from SP2 to SP1 and lost 4 or 5 processes.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:24:34 AM »
Your system memory is pretty low.  If you are running any anti-virus or other large resource process, or have very many background processes, your system will be easily swamped.

The 6100 video card is an extremely low end video card, so do not even bother trying to run any type of advanced options at all.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 08:13:55 PM »
Well I guess I have to shut processes down.  Looks like trial and error time with the processes, 'cuz I've shut down all the user processes that I'm comfortable with.  All that's left are 35 SYSTEM processes with esoteric label names that you can't fathom the function of, and I know of one McAffe process that won't shut down, even tho I've regedit it and still can't delete it. :mad:   McAffe, why do you have to be so difficult? :furious

EDIT:

Thanks Skuzzy, I figured it may have been the background processes, as you had stated only having about 25.  I have, trimming all that I'm comfortable with, to about 35 System processes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:20:08 PM by Iron_Cross »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:18:21 PM »
google FSautostart. it's a free program that you can use to shut down processes. That nice thing about it is is you shut down the wrong one, just reboot your pc and all is back to normal. If you go HERE you can check what the processes are for before you shut them down.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 01:48:24 AM »
Well I guess I have to shut processes down.  Looks like trial and error time with the processes, 'cuz I've shut down all the user processes that I'm comfortable with.  All that's left are 35 SYSTEM processes with esoteric label names that you can't fathom the function of, and I know of one McAffe process that won't shut down, even tho I've regedit it and still can't delete it. :mad:   McAffe, why do you have to be so difficult? :furious

EDIT:

Thanks Skuzzy, I figured it may have been the background processes, as you had stated only having about 25.  I have, trimming all that I'm comfortable with, to about 35 System processes.

Use these and whittle it down more, 35 is excessive for any PC.

1/4 of the way down.  http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Archive/servicecfg.htm

So you aren't crapping yourself, use this to help you shut down more Services.   http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:09:54 AM »
Use these and whittle it down more, 35 is excessive for any PC.

1/4 of the way down.  http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Archive/servicecfg.htm

So you aren't crapping yourself, use this to help you shut down more Services.   http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

Thanks Masherbrum,
That first one helped a lot.  I have a start-up that has been drastically reduced, and a lot of tweaks to get the background processes down to 24.  As soon as I get some more money coming in, I'll get some more memory(saw a Gig stick for ~$40 at Wally-World), and a better vid card.  Can't complain, $500 three years ago, got me a screaming machine. (compared to my old CPU)  It had just filled up with useless dreck, it's like a new machine now. (well it plays AH like it used to IMHO.)

Skuzzy, That Blackviper.com site really helped tweak down the system processes, and they explained virtually all of them and what they did.  Maybe you should post that in your hints and tips sticky as well.  If it wasn't on their list I felt comfortable with stopping it, and anything else they recommended stopping for being resource hogs/useless CPU cycles.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:59:57 PM »
You are quite welcome Iron.   I think those sites are a Rite of Passage.   Just glad to help.    :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 03:25:40 AM »
get a sound card to take some stress off the cpu, a second hand audigy off ebay would be enough
Game ID: Blimey

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 03:46:18 PM »
That sight, and another site, helped me pare down the processes to the 20.  AH runs great now, now I have to work on my wife's laptop.  I looked at the background processes briefly, and she had like 55 going.  No wonder the thing keeps dropping her off the network.