Author Topic: Google chrome (Beta)  (Read 1405 times)

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
Re: Google chrome (Beta)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »
After review, I'll stick w/ Firefox
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »
Pulling an Osamabama here... I installed it before I uninstalled it.   ;)
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »
I agree.  More invasive than Microsoft even and that is pretty darn invasive.  I'll be passing on this one.

Let's not lose our minds, people. The Terms of Service have already been changed from the boilerplate text that the Chrome developers grabbed from one of Google's other online services:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/update-to-google-chromes-terms-of.html

There are many things that I find totally fascinating about Chrome:

- The whole "each tab is its own process" thing, so misbehaving web apps in one tab can't screw around with other tabs.

- The V8 javascript rendering engine is so much faster than anything else I use, it isn't even funny.

- The changes in the GUI (such as Tabs over the address bar instead of below it) show a willingness to totally re-evaluate the browsing interface we all mindlessly just accept it, and make very basic changes to what really makes more sense. Change is gutsy.

- The google testing infrastructure behind it has resulted in the first time I have used a "less than version 1.0" browser that really works properly in what must be 98% of the web pages I check.

Featurewise and speedwise, Chrome is ALREADY better than IE6 and IE7 and Safari. It's much faster and no less compatible with websites than Opera 9.52 (which, BTW, is my main email program, so I use it every day anyway), though Opera has some features that are very innovative. Firefox with my favorite extensions has more of the features I really need every day, but without any extensions, I must say that Crome compares pretty favorably.

When Chrome extensions start coming off the line, Firefox is really going  to have competition, and this first Beta is really impressive for what it is.

-Llama

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:26:26 PM by llama »

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »
Must saying I'm liking it so far.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 09:28:35 PM »
I agree.  More invasive than Microsoft even and that is pretty darn invasive.  I'll be passing on this one.

They changed the license / TOS and the offending part is gone.

As for Java not working right, you just need to install the beta JRE version 6 update 10 and it works fine.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 06:53:43 AM »
Yes, I am aware they changed the license.  So that nullifies the group who originally had that paragraph in the license? 

I have been part of companies who had that mentality, and all it means is they will find another way to get done what they really wanted to get done to begin with.  Microsoft is no better, and if I could do without them, I would.  I have a chioce with Google and I choose not to trust them.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 06:58:10 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 07:58:51 AM »
The big G is a pretty invasive company. Anything that is google related on your system is automatically reporting your online habits one way or another. It's such a shame they have some pretty decent stuff, but I won't be installing that browser.
:noid ?
or not :noid enough? You decide :aok
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder