Author Topic: See Anybody Special??  (Read 41235 times)

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
Re: See Anybody Special??
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »
Something about being an observer in some type of bomber that came under attack.

He was the only member of the crew to receive a silver star.

He was some type of politician at the time and a member of the reserves.

That is the gist of it,I think.

Maybe someone has more detailed info.

Cluelessly yours,

Boner :confused:
It never came under attack. Never got close to the target. Turned back due to mechanical difficulties. I'll find more info when I get home. Too many sites blocked here at work.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:10:11 PM by Cthulhu »
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 06:35:25 PM »
It never came under attack. Never got close to the target. Turned back due to mechanical difficulties. I'll find more info when I get home. Too many sites blocked here at work.

LBJ's Silver Star:  THE MISSION THAT NEVER WAS

A comment from Johnson's biographer, Robert Caro on LBJ's Silver Star
Johnson's biographer, Robert Caro, stated, "The most you can say about Lyndon Johnson and his Silver Star is that it is surely one of the most undeserved Silver Stars in history. Because if you accept everything that he said, he was still in action for no more than 13 minutes and only as an observer. Men who flew many missions, brave men, never got a Silver Star."

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 06:43:27 PM »
LBJ's Silver Star:  THE MISSION THAT NEVER WAS

A comment from Johnson's biographer, Robert Caro on LBJ's Silver Star

ack-ack
Thanks ack-ack. I'd read that site earlier, but can't get to it now. Seems that Lockheed Corporate is more paranoid than ever now... :rolleyes:
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »
Here's a different twist. See if you can find and post a picture of the person described below:

"During the Battle of Tarawa, US Navy Lt. X put himself in harm's way by taking a small boat into heavy gunfire to rescue US Marines wounded in the assault landing. These Marines would have otherwise drowned or died of their wounds. X made not just one trip between the beach and the ships offshore, but returned to the area 3 times, rescuing a large but unknown number of wounded. He was awarded a Bronze Star for his heroic and selfless actions, and one site reported him as being awarded a Purple Heart for wounds received in this action."

(Compare this to LBJ's "They gimme this here silver star for ridin' in one of them airplane machines")

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 09:59:45 AM »
I know that actor Eddie Albert was at Tarawa...and I thought he was a coxswain of a landing craft...is this perhaps the person to whom you refer?
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 10:05:10 AM »
I know that actor Eddie Albert was at Tarawa...and I thought he was a coxswain of a landing craft...is this perhaps the person to whom you refer?
WTG :aok
You get a C- for not following directions :D   

Here's a different twist. See if you can find and post a picture of the person described below:

Offline Skyeho

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 10:07:51 AM »
Eddie Albert?
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Offline Skyeho

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 10:19:56 AM »
I hate when that happens
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 10:27:50 AM »
Next:

Ok, hint time:  "Don't you hate it when..."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:34:52 PM by Cthulhu »

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 12:42:44 PM »
Ok, while you muddle that one over, here's a really easy one:

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 02:13:42 PM »
Ok, this one was obviously too hard. Would you believe Andy Rooney?

Try this one.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
Bob the builder dad?
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 02:20:57 PM »
James Montgomery Doohan

Military service
At the outbreak of the Second World War, Doohan, aged 19, joined the Royal Canadian Artillery, and was eventually commissioned as a lieutenant in the 13th Field Regiment, part of the divisional artillery of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. Doohan went to the United Kingdom in 1940 for what became years of training. His first combat assignment was the invasion of Normandy at Juno Beach on D-Day. Shooting two snipers along the way, Doohan led his unit to higher ground through a field of anti-tank mines and took defensive positions for the night. Crossing between command posts at 11:30 that night, Doohan took six rounds from a Bren gun fired by a nervous sentry:[3] four in his leg, one in the chest, and one through his right middle finger. The bullet to his chest was halted by the silver cigarette case he carried, and his wounded right middle finger was amputated, which he would conceal during his career as an actor. However, despite his efforts, the missing finger can be seen in the Star Trek episode Trouble with Tribbles, as well as Tomorrow is Yesterday and Catspaw.

Despite his injuries, Doohan remained in the military, trained as a pilot and flew an artillery observation plane. He flew Taylorcraft Auster Mark V aircraft for 666 (AOP) Squadron, RCAF, as a Royal Canadian Artillery officer in a flying role in support of #1 Canadian AGRA (Army Groups Royal Artillery). All three Canadian (AOP) RCAF Squadrons were manned by Artillery Officer-pilots and accompanied by enlisted RCA and RCAF personnel serving as observers.[4][5]

Though he was never actually a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force, he was once labeled the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Forces." One of the many legendary stories of his flying years tells of Doohan slaloming a plane — variously cited as a Hurricane or a jet trainer — between mountainside telegraph poles to prove it could be done, which earned him a serious reprimand. (The actual feat was performed in a Mark IV Auster on the Salisbury Plain north of RAF Andover, in the late spring of 1945).

Ok, while you muddle that one over, here's a really easy one:

C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 02:21:49 PM »
Bush Sr.

Try this one.

[/quote]
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
The judges would have simply accepted Scottie". :)

Not George Bush Sr. :(   Actually, this one kinda surprised me.