Author Topic: Unrealistic Autopilot on Bufs  (Read 241 times)

Offline vega

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bombergroup.com
Unrealistic Autopilot on Bufs
« on: October 31, 2001, 10:42:00 AM »
This is not a bug, since I believe it was programmed intentionally, but it's unrealistic and can cause spins and crashes during bombing operations:

Whenever the autopilot is set in angle or airspeed mode, moving to the bombardier position re-sets the autopilot to straight and level.  This is no good.  Whoever heard of an autopilot automatically changing flight modes simply because a crewmember moves somewhere inside the airplane?  

But it gets worse.  You have all your engines shot out.  You are at 20,000 ft.  You set the autopilot to best glide speed.  You can easily glide home and will pass over an enemy field on the way.  You go into the bombardier position to unload your bombs on the target and suddenly, just as you are about to pickle off the bombs, your airplane shudders, stalls, and goes into a spin.  

What?

You investigate and learn the autopilot was programmed to automatically go into straight and level flight when you went into the bombardier's station, so with no engines operating you stalled out.

Totally unacceptable; it needs to be fixed.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2001, 11:11:00 AM »
Didn't the Norden require level flight for accurate bomb aiming?  I'd guess that switching to level flight when you jump to the bombadier position is a nod to the Norden model.  Do you want more accurate model of the Norden?

Be careful what you wish for....   ;)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
Does anyone else have an issue where the bomber goes into a angle/bank when you jump into a gunner position? Yes I agree with the bombsight issue but I think the Norden sight required level flight for accuracy. But was the bombsight on the British and German planes the same way?

I have tried resetting the stick every way I can think of and get no different response when I go into the gun positions. It does not matter if I am in the top, bottom, sides, nose or tail it always goes into a right bank/angle.  :confused:
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
I have the perfect solution here to this problem and it would be easy to do.

Every time the pilot goes to the gunners position, the buff explodes. No more stall problems!  :p

<GDR>

Mav  :D
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »
Reschke, you need to calibrate (or adjust the deadband or damping for) your rudder.  In Aces High, you can steer the plane from the gunner positions by using your rudder (which is switched to control the ailerons).  If your rudder is miscalibrated, your plane will bank when you get into a gunner position.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
reschke what rudder do you have if you use the key board hit s to center the rudder.

<edited to avoid confusion>

to the fluffers out there

nothing about ah buffs are "realistic"

do you think you could spot a .50 gun emplacement from 25000 ft?

you have auto take off,  auto climb,  auto level

the damn thing flies itself to target. all you gotta do is open the doors and remember your salvo.

I know its tough    :rolleyes:

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Wotan ]

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
"Totally unacceptable; it needs to be fixed."

I don't consider it broken.  We don't to make bombing any easier than it already is.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
I am using the Thrustmaster RCS rudder pedals as part of my FLCS/TQS setup. That is something I will have to recheck when I get home to see where the deadband on the rudders is set. In the calibration setups everything is cool though.

Wotan, I am rarely up in a bomber that high so I get to see the little light streams coming at me up close. I am a low level NOE bomber driver myself and it shows in my stats. But if the planets are lined up correctly it is hell on an enemy base when I pop over the hills...  :p
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2001, 04:36:00 PM »
so get some speed up and just as you are in line with the drop point go bombardier let off bombs then switch back to pilot and regain control before you stall.
sheesh use some skill.If you've had engines shot out it means to all intents and purposes you have been taken out.If it was a fighter he deserves the trouble you get making a run for his effort.If its ack then dont fly so low.
ive had this happen to me often over the time ive been playing and ive never considered it as anything other than part of the game and something id have to learn to overcome.
we dont need another easy to play aircombat game.The fact AH was so interesting to me was the time and patience needed to learn to fly in it well.

challenge=fun
ease of use=Boredom

i might make that my signiture!  :D

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2001, 05:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by vega:
You investigate and learn the autopilot was programmed to automatically go into straight and level flight when you went into the bombardier's station, so with no engines operating you stalled out.

Totally unacceptable; it needs to be fixed.

What is more unrealistic:

You are still trying to dive bomb using a plane that was designed for LEVEL bombing after having all of your engines shot out

or

the fact that the autopilot goes in level mode when you are using the bomb site that is installed in a bomber designed for <gasp> level bombing.

:rolleyes:

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2001, 09:57:00 PM »
When out of fuel and still have eggs left i glide to gain speed, and when close to the drop point i put her in level, drop to the bombardier position, drop, and dive back to put it into a glide

SKurj

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2001, 11:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick:
I have the perfect solution here to this problem and it would be easy to do. Every time the pilot goes to the gunners position, the buff explodes. No more stall problems!

Maverick, you deserve FIVE stars  :)
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2001, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wotan:
you have auto take off,  auto climb,  auto level

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Wotan ]

Ahhh...but then, so do all of you fighter jocks, right?!?!   :rolleyes: