Author Topic: Need Help/Need This Answered Tonight: Going From 64bit vista to 32bit  (Read 262 times)

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Hi guys, I really need your help on this one.  My laptop I got for college is running vista home p 64 bit, but I just found out that the campus network uses a cisco security program (or something like that) that only supports 32bit OP's.  So, my pc won't be able to connect to the network.

What I need to know is if it is possible for me to buy a 32 bit vista version in a store, and then replace my 64 bit version with it?  is that possible, or can I only upgrade to other 64 bit versions?  I'm guessing no unless I get 32bit drivers?  Man this really sucks, any help is appreciated VERY MUCH!

Thanks.

*Just grabbed this off their site*
Your version of Vista also has a 32-bit browser (in fact you probably use that by default) that should work. Check with campus network admin before you give yourself a major headache.

Hmm, even though this is what they have on their site?

"At this time, we are unable to support Windows Vista 64-bit edition, or any other 64-bit operating system. This has to do with our network access control client (NAC), Cisco Clean Access. We use CCA to enforce our network security policies, such as making sure all computers accessing the network are up-to-date, have an updated antivirus client installed, have an antispyware client installed, etc. We have our system updated with the latest software available from Cisco, and the current version of CCA supports only the authentication (log in) portion of accessing the network. Because it cannot check for security requirements, we run the risk of network stability and infecting the entire network if we were to allow 64-bit systems authentication access. So unfortnuately, we cannot support 64-bit operating systems on our network at this time. Visit our Software page for more information regarding requirements to access the network."

"Operating System Notes

Our network supports the following 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows:

* Windows Vista Home Basic
    * Windows Vista Home Premium
    * Windows Vista Business
    * Windows Vista Ultimate
    * Windows Vista Enterprise
    * Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
    * Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2
    * Windows XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2
    * Windows XP Tablet PC with Service Pack 2
    * Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4

All other versions of Microsoft Windows will not work. This means that users cannot run Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows Server 2003, or any 64-bit editions of Windows. There are no exceptions to this policy. You will need Administrator access to your computer. If you do not use an account that is marked as a System Administrator, be sure you know the password to the Administrator account."

Thanks for the help so far.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:22:58 PM by DoNKeY »
2sBlind

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need Help/Need This Answered Tonight: Going From 64bit vista to 32bit
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:01:20 PM »
Your version of Vista also has a 32-bit browser (in fact you probably use that by default) that should work. Check with campus network admin before you give yourself a major headache.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline abc123

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
Skuzzy should be on in the morning.

Edit: I think.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:18:22 AM by abc123 »
Tree: 73 Myself:  0

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:19:41 AM »
Thanks for sneaking that info in late!  :P

Well thats way over my head. I would get in touch with the manufacturer of your laptop to see if the have drivers for a 32 bit Windows OS and get my hands on the one they support. I would think Vista Home Premium would be supported given that you have the 64 bit version now but better be safe and ask.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »
I am familiar with the Cisco product you are referencing and it does not have 64 bit drivers, only 32 bit.  You will have to change to the 32 bit version of Vista.

You will not be able to use the generic OEM version of Vista for a laptop.  Laptops all have proprietary drivers requiring the operating system to be supplied by the manufacturer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 09:54:46 AM »
I am familiar with the Cisco product you are referencing and it does not have 64 bit drivers, only 32 bit.  You will have to change to the 32 bit version of Vista.

You will not be able to use the generic OEM version of Vista for a laptop.  Laptops all have proprietary drivers requiring the operating system to be supplied by the manufacturer.

So I would have to get a laptop that's 32 bit (OS, drivers, etc) from say like store xxx or whatever?

Thanks Skuzzy.
2sBlind