Author Topic: The Nursing Gig  (Read 483 times)

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Nursing Gig
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 09:42:02 AM »
Hopefully he doesn't fall seriously ill. If he does, he'll change his mind on that hourly wage.

Roger that, nurses don't make nearly enough in my opinion. 
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
I've long suspected Aquashrimp is one of those confused looking souls who holds the "SLOW" sign near construction sites...and has envy of all that drive nicer cars then him   :lol

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 10:14:47 AM »
I've long suspected Aquashrimp is one of those confused looking souls who holds the "SLOW" sign near construction sites...and has envy of all that drive nicer cars then him   :lol

:rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »
The job hours are a double-edged sword...  They are undermanned so they demand 12 hr shifts, but the 12 hour shift requirement for employment keeps qualified people at home if their life does not allow that sort of work schedule.

My wife is an MD and took some time off from work to have our first child.  She looked into some job offers, and guess what - they're saying she will have to work 12 hrs a day or they aren't interested at all.  With a young child and me working full time, that's an unreasonable and unworkable schedule.  So instead of getting a hard worker 8-10 hrs a day (at a proportionally lower salary of course), they're getting NOTHING and then they complain about a shortage of docs.  WTF?  The whole medical industry is like this...  If you're not going to work 12 hrs or more a day, then they don't want you at all which leads to higher costs, more squabbling over salaries within the industry, more shortages of qualified workers, worse patient care, and possibly worst of all, even higher workload on those who are able to put up with the long hours which perpetuates the manpower shortage.

If my wife could get a reasonable work shift, she'd be working right now (even weekends).  But 7 day work weeks at 12 hr/day (13 hrs if she wants to take lunch) mandatory means they don't get anything and still have a shortage.  Dumb dumb dumb.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
Sorry Eddie .. I just did not know what background you had.
My first job outta school was at Carl T. Hayden VA Hospital, long term care unit.
15 and change an hour. I got my feet wet, direct patiient care of some very demanding people (ok ok .. the fighter pilot was an amazin guy, but he had a checklist and procedure for everything, and the direct line to a congressman .. on the verge of psychotic obsession IMHO .. but .. that's the way the good fighter jocks are -shrug- :)

I hear they just bumped the pay rate up substantially there because they lost a lot of people to higher payin jobs out in the valley ..me for one.

And aye, it is work. Purty much on my feet most of the day, all about bein with a patient to see that they get what they need when they need it, ..most of mine are Hospice so it's all about comfort care and pain control. Rare to have a patient that is alert and oriented enough to have a conversation with, so assessment has to be a bit sharper since they can't respond due to cognitive loss.

I'll be here at this facility until I finish my BSN if all goes well ..then probably stay on as an RN. It's a nice place, good crew, and as Eagl said ..one of the few places I can do 8hr shifts. I've got a solid schedule, M-F, 2pm -10:30pm. The major frustration I have is people dont show up on time to releive me. So .. I watch TV waitin for 'em or catch up on any paperwork .. at time anna half.. a bit over 30 an hour. -evil grin-

The way the job market is right now for medical types .. if a place doesn't feel right, there is absolutely no reason to stay.
Too many other places to work and a whole ton of other things to do :)

Falling seriously ill is a land mine we all have to dodge .. if we can.
Already had some real heart-breakers as patients.
Construction worker who had a naggin back ache ..was cancer and already spreadin.
Nothing can be done except comfort care, he was younger than I am.
Just one of many... there are days when I feel completely drained.

Then I walk out to the parkin lot, and see that Vette hunkered down low in the light.
And I smile.
Every time.

-Frank aka GE (LPN aye..for a couple more years)
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE