Author Topic: put our head out from copkit when take of  (Read 169 times)

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
put our head out from copkit when take of
« on: September 29, 1999, 11:45:00 PM »
? what about this ? t open copkit and wiev out just like in doa to se the runaway and  donot use the  external wiev

Offline Quasar

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 1999, 07:11:00 AM »
I suppose you're having problems to take off, isn't you?
I saved a head position to help me during the take off. I put my head all behind (down key) and raise it all I can (page up key). It works very well.
[]'s

funked

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 1999, 10:33:00 AM »
Yeah good idea - move your head up or to the side for takeoff.  In any case the Me 109 can't be flown with the hood open because it hinges on the side.  Anybody know about the other planes in AH?  I've seen Spits with the hood back, but don't remember a P-51 like that.  Have no clue about the La-5.

Offline Quasar

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 1999, 01:29:00 PM »
AFAIK, taxi/take-off with an open canopy could lead you to death due intoxication->LOC with ehxaust from engine.
[]'s

funked

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 1999, 02:02:00 PM »
Actually a lot of planes had the opposite problem!  Pilots opened the canopy because the cockpit was full of exhaust fumes.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 1999, 04:45:00 AM »
Funked:
Exactly the case with the La-5FN & even more so with the La-7.  Both were not fully insulated from gas fumes, and also got very hot inside, due to insufficient venting.  If fact,  many La-5FN pilots flew into combat with their canopy all the way back - ie, wide open.  And they still outperformed the Bf 109G's.
ingame: Raz

Offline Gazoo

• Zinc Member
      • http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 1999, 07:27:00 AM »
I believe it was SOP in the spit to land with the canopy open for a faster exit (if required).  I also believe, a lot of hurricane pilots FLEW with an open canopy opting for visibility over speed.

------------------
"Just Plane Nuts"
Gazoo
 http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm