Author Topic: So the P-51 should have a converg of  (Read 1427 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: So the P-51 should have a converg of
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »
This could be a contributer to why when fairly equal-on-paper forces met in the recent Rangoon scenario, the Allies generally shot the Axis out of the sky... the average player was familiar with the Allied 50 cal armament and "just knew" how to lead their shots, from all their experience with 50cals in the main arenas (albeit in different aircraft).

The average player wasn't familiar with the guns on the Zeros.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 10:26:39 AM »
This could be a contributer to why when fairly equal-on-paper forces met in the recent Rangoon scenario, the Allies generally shot the Axis out of the sky... the average player was familiar with the Allied 50 cal armament and "just knew" how to lead their shots, from all their experience with 50cals in the main arenas (albeit in different aircraft).

The average player wasn't familiar with the guns on the Zeros.

Players who are used to the 6x.50 cal armament are frequently befuddled with cannon armaments other than hizookas.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 10:32:19 AM »
If you're shooting outside of 400 yards, you don't really have a shot.

You ever wonder why you can land hits on a target out to 800 yards but you never do much damage? Because bullets lose a lot of impact power the further down range they fly. Dispersion also has a major effect. It might take you 800 rounds and 100+ hits on a target at 800 yards before you bring it down. At 250 yards it would take 100 rounds and maybe 30 hits to do the same.

Set your convergence for the range you KILL at. Not the range you think you want to hit at. Doesn't matter if you spray at cons at 800 yards, so you set guns to that hoping for long range kills. What matters is once you're done tickling the bugger, and he breaks into you, or another con engages you, and after a fight you get a kill shot, what range is that?

99% of the time it will be under 400 yards, so setting your guns out further just screws you over when it comes time to get the job done, and done quickly.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »
425 Inner, 400 Middle, and 375 on the outer guns. Works Perfect for me A8Tool.
Not really.
4.36 hit % 

Staggered convergence just doesn't work as well in AHII

Tool, I set mine at 350 but it isn't the magical setting.. I've considered setting them to 300 or closer at times.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 11:40:09 AM »

Hmmm... I've been flying American F and P series planes the past week or two and I've gotten quite a few kills at 1000 yards (tracking shots with convergence set to 650).  Not only that but, until last night when I was straffing ground targets in fighter mode with a Jug, my hit % was still in the mid 9's.  I was suprised to find that at 1000 yards I didn't even have to elevate the pipper to hit solidly.  Those .50's are lazer guided compared to the axis cannoned birds.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »
I think Rogent told me one time he set them at 200 so deflection shots were easier. :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 12:49:42 PM »
Hmmm... I've been flying American F and P series planes the past week or two and I've gotten quite a few kills at 1000 yards (tracking shots with convergence set to 650).  Not only that but, until last night when I was straffing ground targets in fighter mode with a Jug, my hit % was still in the mid 9's.  I was suprised to find that at 1000 yards I didn't even have to elevate the pipper to hit solidly.  Those .50's are lazer guided compared to the axis cannoned birds.

I've read on these forums that the game doesn't model diminished hitting power at long range on ground targets like it does on air targets.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
Ground targets don't react the way they should -- there's no penetration power at all.

This is with structures, mind you. Against vehicles it's all taken into account.

Not a failing of the ammo itself, a failing of the damage model on the item being hit.

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »
I use the Bravo more than the Delta..  Either way, I use the 4 gun package on the Delta to make things interesting...
For me, I set 4 50's no more than 250 out...  I try not fire until I'm less than 300 yards away from the target..
Even with 4 guns, at 200 yards, it's usually a lethal burst..  With 6 50's, even more so...

I have found that a staggered convergence is more or less useless as all your doing is peppering your target but not actually making any significant damage..

Fact of the matter is that a closer convergence setting will give you much more lethality when fired at or near the convergence point more so than that of a farther convergence point hitting at or near convergence..

My gunnery sucks horribly, so when I fly planes other than the usual P-38, I set 'em in close...  Usually not more than 300 or 325..
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
I've read on these forums that the game doesn't model diminished hitting power at long range on ground targets like it does on air targets.

What's that got to do with shooting down airplanes at 1000 yards?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »
Thanks guys. The thread was more about me wondering why .50's fire differently in different planes. Firing rounds off in the 51 is much different than the F6, Fm2's and F4U's.

Fugitive, I thinking speed has a lot to do with it also. It also seems slight movements of the stick can easily throw your aim off as well....probably again do to speed
 It just shoots so much different than the F6.

I think it because of the speed. Generally your running faster in a "D" so the lead you take on your target will be different. The faster your going to less you need to lead.... not by much, but it might be what makes it seem like your not hitting as well.

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 03:36:36 PM »
I had all of mine set to 350.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 03:36:58 PM »
I think Rogent told me one time he set them at 200 so deflection shots were easier. :salute

That might help a little ... deflection shots using .50 cals is no where near effective as deflection shots with cannons ... regardless of .50 cal convergence.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »

You ever wonder why you can land hits on a target out to 800 yards but you never do much damage? Because bullets lose a lot of impact power the further down range they fly. Dispersion also has a major effect. It might take you 800 rounds and 100+ hits on a target at 800 yards before you bring it down. At 250 yards it would take 100 rounds and maybe 30 hits to do the same.

Set your convergence for the range you KILL at. Not the range you think you want to hit at. Doesn't matter if you spray at cons at 800 yards, so you set guns to that hoping for long range kills. What matters is once you're done tickling the bugger, and he breaks into you, or another con engages you, and after a fight you get a kill shot, what range is that?

99% of the time it will be under 400 yards, so setting your guns out further just screws you over when it comes time to get the job done, and done quickly.

I don't agree with that at all. All my .50 cals (F4U, F6F, FM2) all have the convergence set to 450. I get plenty of kills beyond 450 and many more kills inside the 450 range ... with most kills coming at 250-300. Inside 250, I sweep at little left and right when on someone's 6 to lay bullets from both wings on the target.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 04:08:07 PM »
D set at 325. B set at 300.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group