Author Topic: Sense Of Speed  (Read 113 times)

Rookee

Sense Of Speed
« on: October 01, 1999, 11:21:00 PM »

Realizing AH is still in the early stages of Beta I'd like to ask if anything is in the works for some type of wind sound that will be incorporated to give you an idea of your speed?

Engine / Wind cruising past the canopy sound the same no matter if it's 100 IAS or 300 IAS.

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
Sense Of Speed
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 1999, 05:03:00 PM »
Also in the 'other game' the engine RPM sound increases to give you the feel for your speed. I know the new engine model in AH allows pilots to set their rpm with the prop control but consideration should be given to the fact that, in a dive rpm increases and the pilots should have to reduce it to maintain his desired setting.  It's a bit strange going through all the motions of air combat with the engine maintaining the same sound throughout it all.    

------------------
Lt. Jg. Windle
VF-17 'The Jolly Rogers' 8X

Skychrgr@aol.com  

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Sense Of Speed
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 1999, 06:25:00 PM »
It seems those little niceties have been left out of the beta.  There is a wind.wav in the sound directory, so we will probably have many sound enhancements to look forward to.  I would love to hear pitch changes when you cycle the prop on the tarmac.    

--ra--

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
Sense Of Speed
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 1999, 12:44:00 AM »
Yea, I suppose all they would have to do is apply an alternating EQ effect to the existing engine sound that kind of thinned out pitch of the .wav during fine settings. Adjusting the prop pitch would also directly adjust the applied EQ effect.  Simple and effective.  

------------------
Lt. Jg. Windle
VF-17 'The Jolly Rogers' 8X

Skychrgr@aol.com  

funked

Sense Of Speed
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 1999, 05:57:00 PM »
Yes wind sound is needed.

At the WB Con, one of the 44th SOS played a CD that was recorded from inside an Me 109 during an airshow performance.  You can hear the wind noise really pick up as the plane speeds up.  For a good example of how to implement this, I suggest Grand Prix Legends.

Also I have ridden in planes of all sizes, and there is a definite increase in wind roar as speed increases.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 10-04-1999).]

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Sense Of Speed
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 1999, 07:39:00 PM »
Guys,
The sounds and resultant effects you hear were worked on for a total of about 30 to 45 min. These are just sounds to keep us from having to fly in silence :-).
It will be worked on and "fixed". Lots of new sounds and how they relate to what the ac is doing is in the works. It just takes time to do it all. Hang in there... How are you enjoying the sim otherwise?

MarkAT
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!