Author Topic: My New Toy  (Read 1018 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: My New Toy
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
ink.. are you saying that a charter arms bulldog is not capable of less than 5" groups at 25 yards?   that is laughable.

I am scared of a lot of things.. anyone who says that they are afraid of nothing is an idiot.

http://www.gunblast.com/Bulldog_Pug.htm   

this guy is shooting 1 1/2 inch groups at 21 yards....

At 21 feet...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_4_53/ai_n27161894

Every load shot 1" groups.. this makes for easy 4 inch 25 yard groups..

I will even go so far as to say that I can hit man sized targets out to 100 yards with any good 44 special load in a bulldog.

I imagine I have fired at least 5,000 rounds through bulldogs over the years.

like I said.. if you can't hit anything at 20 feet then you are doing something really really really wrong..  fear of recoil is the obvious thing.

at 20 feet.. no test I have seen shows less than 2" accuracy for the bulldog.   Maybe you need glasses?

Oh..  I don't have a lot of interest in meeting you but no big deal if I do.

lazs

yup i saw where he was hitting 1" at 20 or 21 yards, friggin awesome.

i was unable to hit anything over 20 feet (maybee a little futher its been 8 years), 

who knows maybe  the one and only one i ever had could of just been off.

fear of recoil was not a factor, after going through about 30 rounds i finished off the day firing it one handed.
that was the first time we (wife and i) took it out to shoot, but we sold it and got an sks instead, with that i was hitting 1 inch exploding targets, at 100 yards. (with a scope)

sometimes I speak (type) things i shouldnt sry

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 11:56:03 PM »
The Bulldog is a decent handgun.  I can group 'em at 5" at 10 yards easy.  Anything more distance than that you shouldn't take a shot.  That's a short range gun.

I killed rattlesnakes with it at two yards using regular bullets.  I was in an old camp house where they were.  There were about 5 or 6 rattlesnakes in there under the asbestos ground layering.  Soon as I went in they started rattling.  Was scarey but we went in to clean 'em out. They didn't stand a chance.

Les

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 05:27:03 AM »
Let me just say-----------> BOOM..........Good snake.  :devil
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 08:14:39 AM »
Ink.. the Sks in it's stock form..  scope or not.. is about a 4" gun at 100 yards.. I find it weird that you couldn't hit anything with a bulldog at 20 feet when I owned half a dozen of em and could get easy 4 or 5 inch groups at 3 times that distance yet..... you shoot one minute of angle at 100 yards with one of the worst (for accuracy) rifles there is out there.. easily getting groups on quarter the size that you should.

Now.. being afraid of recoil is not a slam on your manhood..  peoples reaction to recoil is not well understood.   I bet I could prove it to you tho.

I will take people shooting who are obviously having a bad reaction to recoil but blaming the gun.   What I do is load the gun (revolver) with say three rounds.. first one live.. next two not mix em up...

The recoil fear becomes obvious.   It is in your head.. small women have no problem with recoil sometimes.. big bad manly men like yourself sometimes do tho...  you can learn to understand it but you will need to practice.. something I think it is not legal for you to do?

As for threatening me?   My reply remains the same.

lazs

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 08:59:21 AM »
Hey, if you get a kick out of it RPM then that's all that matters. I think the preferred load is the .45 LC for self defense. The slugs don't really do that much according to the Box-o-Truth. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Lessons learned:
1. Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

2. Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.

3. Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.

4. The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.

5. The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

6. It's fun to bust clays with this pistol.

And, as usual, it's always fun to shoot stuff.

I have a few guns that are less practical, but fun none the less. My next milsurp may be a Martini-Henry from IMI. http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/29_61/products_id/573 Commercial ammo runs around $6 per round and reloading requires at least one box of 20 commercial or forming your own cases from brass shotgun shells.

But, Zulu was a great movie :)

Charon
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:03:59 AM by Charon »

Offline Druss

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
Umm.. I am not a fan of glocks.    I have also owned fords.. they have their good and bad points.  I don't think we are much alike at all... 

Ink..  I have owned a half a dozen of more 44 bulldogs over the years..  I could routinely shoot under 5" groups at 25 yards with every one of them.   I think you are just scared of recoil.

lazs

Lazs. You are correcto. I used a .44 Special Bulldog as a carry gun for years. I could fire it quickly and accurately. I practiced with it extensively shooting untold numbers of cast handloads. My carry load was and is 200 grain winchester Silvertips. I have used .45 Combat Commander, .45 Officers ACP, .45 Colt Double Eagle (remember those?!, .44 Special Bulldog, .40 S&W Glock 23, .357 Ruger Security Six (the very 1st issue with the humpback frame), .38 Special S&W Model 64, various .38 Special snubnoses as concealed carry guns over the years. Hands down the most trusted were the Colt Combat Commander, Charter Arms Bulldog, Ruger Security Six, S&W Model 64. Being a handloader since the age of 15 (which is when I bought that Ruger Security Six), I practiced a LOT. There is nothing wrong with the Bulldog.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 11:55:41 PM »
Ink.. the Sks in it's stock form..  scope or not.. is about a 4" gun at 100 yards.. I find it weird that you couldn't hit anything with a bulldog at 20 feet when I owned half a dozen of em and could get easy 4 or 5 inch groups at 3 times that distance yet..... you shoot one minute of angle at 100 yards with one of the worst (for accuracy) rifles there is out there.. easily getting groups on quarter the size that you should.

Now.. being afraid of recoil is not a slam on your manhood..  peoples reaction to recoil is not well understood.   I bet I could prove it to you tho.

I will take people shooting who are obviously having a bad reaction to recoil but blaming the gun.   What I do is load the gun (revolver) with say three rounds.. first one live.. next two not mix em up...

The recoil fear becomes obvious.   It is in your head.. small women have no problem with recoil sometimes.. big bad manly men like yourself sometimes do tho...  you can learn to understand it but you will need to practice.. something I think it is not legal for you to do?

As for threatening me?   My reply remains the same.

lazs

Sks i had was very accurate.

and your right i cant own a gun for something i did when i was 17

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »
Hey, if you get a kick out of it RPM then that's all that matters. I think the preferred load is the .45 LC for self defense. The slugs don't really do that much according to the Box-o-Truth. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

I have a few guns that are less practical, but fun none the less. My next milsurp may be a Martini-Henry from IMI. http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/29_61/products_id/573 Commercial ammo runs around $6 per round and reloading requires at least one box of 20 commercial or forming your own cases from brass shotgun shells.

But, Zulu was a great movie :)

Charon
Great article Charon. I'd have to agree with 99% of what he said. One difference is mine will fire 3" shells. I can also find a wider selection of ammo locally.
That Martini-Henry looks sweet!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2008, 04:40:12 AM »
Nice piece rpm.
:aok
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder