Author Topic: My review of AH  (Read 102 times)

Offline Merlin

• Zinc Member
My review of AH
« on: October 03, 1999, 11:23:00 AM »
Finally got enough time on to make up an early review:

Things I like: 3d cockpit and dials, view system. View locks. (direct six view/lock is probably unfair versus realism though). Also drop tanks, fuel tank switching, ordinance and loadout choices.

Things I do not like: Walking from tower (especially the stairs). Flyby's are ok but it will get very old fast. Map/bunker layout, country names and symbols. Current level of graphics in clipboard, tower, hangar. Method of loadout selection and graphics at hanger - would suggest a menu driven system instead.

Regarding the FM: Seems OK, good stall and spin charecteristics, drag and "feeling" of increased speed seem wrong but may be lack of sound effects. Compression, blackouts and redouts good. Tracers cool.

Icon's need work. Countdown below 1,000 is too dramatic- I'd also lose the country symbol and maybe use a smaller font size on the plane ID so the plane is more prominent.

Dots also need work - they need variable sizing and some color indication for aircraft type. They seem unstable now and pop in and out without any scale to distance.

Ditching too tough? Or impossible? Ground clutter needs to be added to help low alt fights.

Field distances too close and fuel scaling too high, but fine for beta load testing.

Overall shows some promise. Is rough as expected. I would really like to see a lot of work on graphics improvements in the menu system and improved graphics for icons/dots/terrain implemented sooner than later. Right now the game won't draw many from WB, but the free arena's seem to be drawing a bunch from FA and AW.

Nice work so far!

Merlin
++Hells Aces++