Author Topic: Offense and Defense  (Read 1703 times)

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Offense and Defense
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 03:41:37 PM »
WxMan not to worry. The issue is we have some 4-6 squads that a CiC might assigned an objective. The CiC expects 4-6 pilots but since he doesn't track squad turn out like we do he might assign a small squad that has an average turn out of say 2 or 3 when he was counting on say like 5 or more.

Same thing goes for attacking .. when we say attack in squad force you might assign a 4-6 squad to conduct an operation but actually it is only 2 pilots.

So right now we are discussing ways to still keep it flexible for the CiCs but assure a certain minimum range of pilots will be assigned and show up for defense objective and attack objective.I stress under discussion, we don't want to rob you guys of flexibility or force you to conduct battles the way we see fit. At the same time though we have to look at game play considerations.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 05:25:54 PM »
ghost,

Would it be possible to include the average turnout for a squad in addition to their specified size when the sides are posted? That would give the CiC a better expectation of what his turnout is likely to be, and allow him to better distribute his forces.

Something like:

Squad Name (7-10 / 10)

Shows the squadron name, size, and average turnout.

This makes sense, because certainly someone planning air operations historically would have an idea of the total size of the squadron in available pilots, and also estimate of how many planes that are ACTUALLY available to be put in the air after accounting for aircraft grounded for maintenance/damage/etc.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »
I can't speak for other CMs but yes I can show the average turnout in the objectives for squad from the last FSO, plus the turnout of the previous frame.

But as I said I am willing to do that, I can't speak for others since it is adding to our work load to be able to get that at the same time as objectives.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »
I can't speak for other CMs but yes I can show the average turnout in the objectives for squad from the last FSO, plus the turnout of the previous frame.

But as I said I am willing to do that, I can't speak for others since it is adding to our work load to be able to get that at the same time as objectives.

Shouldn't be an issue. 
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 09:03:55 AM »

That said yes, the CMs are discussing if we have to better define what the minimum force needs to be put in place for attack and defense for game play purposes.

For a minute there I was picturing Der Zweite Blitz but to an even larger extent.  Some times like in that set, certain parameters need to be set.

That would be a great idea to add average attendance to the mix.  Last Frame, I had one CO tell me that his average attendance was closer to 2 than to the 4-6 commitment level.   :salute Rikau  That helped not only my planning but also helped not get this two pilots exterminated because I was able to attach him to a large squad.

Great idea if it can be done.
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 10:47:57 AM »
ever planned a fso?
  :cry

Tried a really historically accurate one once...  Axis didn't like the PTO set up nor the planesets. 

Go figure.
 :(
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 12:17:08 PM »
Would it be possible to include the average turnout for a squad in addition to their specified size when the sides are posted? That would give the CiC a better expectation of what his turnout is likely to be, and allow him to better distribute his forces.

Great idea IMHO.  I know our squad is listed as 7-10 which in essence is 5-12 with us most often fielding 6-8.  When we were going with the 4-6 attendance commitment, I worried about going over when a couple of our "coin-toss attendees" show up.  This information will provide the CiC with better data as to what can be expected from the squads.
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 05:02:50 AM »
This may or may not help other CiC's.

In past events when the Arabian Knights were in charge of the frame, I usually planed my squad assignments and strategy based on the minimum commitment level of all squads. I did this figuring if any squad was -2 under their minimum level it shouldn't have serious effect on the plan, if they met or exceeded the commitment level by +2, it was a bonus.

The only time I use maximum commitment levels in planning my strategy and squad assignments is when there is a restriction on the maximum use of certain aircraft.
AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

"The money you payed earns you nothing. You paid for many hours of entertainment you received, and nothing more." - HiTech

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 02:23:57 PM »
This may or may not help other CiC's.

In past events when the Arabian Knights were in charge of the frame, I usually planed my squad assignments and strategy based on the minimum commitment level of all squads. I did this figuring if any squad was -2 under their minimum level it shouldn't have serious effect on the plan, if they met or exceeded the commitment level by +2, it was a bonus.

The only time I use maximum commitment levels in planning my strategy and squad assignments is when there is a restriction on the maximum use of certain aircraft.

Just remember that the rule states that the CIC has to have planned for the proper number of aircraft, i.e. for a minimum or a maximum.  If a squad doesn't turn out enough folks, or turns out too many, the CIC doesn't get penalized.  The penalty is only assessed if the plan didn't include the proper number to begin with.

For planning purposes, 80% turn out is practically the historical average for each squad/commitment level.  So, for a 7-10 squad, for example, you can plan on 8 showing (80% of 10).
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech