Author Topic: Stupid Pilot Wounds  (Read 568 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Stupid Pilot Wounds
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:37:49 AM »
Why is it that, no matter the frequency or duration, that EVERY time you're about to touch down with a stupid pilot wound you get a black-out?

Besides that why, mind you I've never been shot but I've watched tons of TV shows and movies, do you black-out, regain consiousness, black-out, regain consiousness, black-out, regain consiousness, black-out, regain consiousness.  I've never seen anyone in TV or movies do that if they were'nt shot in the head.  You're telling me being shot in the shoulder for instance causes this phenomenon?  BS!  I mean what's up with that?

Everyone argues about realism vs gameplay regarding the aircraft and vehicles.  How about a little realism regarding the general gameplay?

I think a better inplementation would be that, if you're shot in the head you die instantly.  Other than that, you'de see the blood on the cockpit, then if you pulled up the damage list (Control-D) there would be an item called "Medical Attention Required" and a timer counting down the seconds until you better be on the ground and out of the plane.

Flame away.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:55:17 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Stupid Pilot Wounds
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »
See Rule #4

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:41:14 AM »
the first time richtoffen was shot down, he was shot in the head. mind you it was more of a "graze", but still a shot to the head. :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:54:48 AM »
I think they should reduce the er, um, how do you say, "hit bubble" for PWs somewhat...especially in planes that have an R-2800 in front of you and an armored seat back behind you  :furious ....okay that is a different issue... And just have "pilot kills" if the little guy DOES take one, thus saving the trouble of trying to fight/land with a PW.

Why is it that, no matter the frequency or duration, that EVERY time you're about to touch down with a stupid pilot wound you get a black-out?

Besides that why, mind you I've never been shot but I've watched tons of TV shows and movies, do you black-out, regain consiousness, black-out, regain consiousness, black-out, regain consiousness, black-out, regain consiousness.  I've never seen anyone in TV or movies do that if they were'nt shot in the head.  You're telling me being shot in the shoulder for instance causes this phenomenon?  BS!  I mean what's up with that?

Everyone argues about realism vs gameplay regarding the aircraft and vehicles.  How about a little realism regarding the general gameplay?

I think a better inplementation would be that, if you're shot in the head you die instantly.  Other than that, you'de see the blood on the cockpit, then if you pulled up the damage list (Control-D) there would be an item called "Medical Attention Required" and a timer counting down the seconds until you better be on the ground and out of the plane.

The current implenemtation is nothing short of stupid and gamey.

Flame away.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »
I think they should reduce the er, um, how do you say, "hit bubble" for PWs somewhat...especially in planes that have an R-2800 in front of you and an armored seat back behind you  :furious ....okay that is a different issue... And just have "pilot kills" if the little guy DOES take one, thus saving the trouble of trying to fight/land with a PW.

I'm not sure but i think the pilot actually has to get hit.
See Rule #4

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:21:05 AM »
I have no idea if how the PW in AH is accurate or not, however I would hesitate to use TV and movies as the basis for an argument.

:)

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »
 :rofl someone crashed on landing with a few scalps onboard?
Lighten up Francis

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
Getting back safely on the runway with a pilot wound isn't insurmountable. Takes some practice insofar as timing goes, but can be done 75% of the time.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 12:37:40 PM »
Point is still with a pilot wound 80% of the time you will black out the second you get slow enough to land or near the base.
To the point where if pilot wounded, you need not even ATTEMPT the first landing, because you almost always black out.

The pilot wound effect is very poorly done and makes absolutely no point, to game play or realism.
Why is it my engine runs out of oil and coolant and can sieze up, yet i can fly for some 10 minutes with a .30cal hole in my leg?

Yeah it would be nice to have the effect of body damage for the pilot.

Leg damage is reduced or slowed down rudder response.
Chest/gut damage would be like it is now, no plane control loss.(altho a 7.62+ to the chest is a day wrecker regardless.)
Arm/sholder you loose engine management or stick control a bit, depending.
Head, well..you die.

Dunno, but the pilot wound we have right now is a joke. Almost so canned and scripted as to be considerd a joke.
You feal more like it should say 'gun damaged" vs. "pilot wounded" as the pilots in aces high are some of the worst represented in any game,ever.

Wheres the blood "that's not a canned skin effect" wheres the aggonizing scream? wheres the sound of the wind rushing into the now holy cockpit?

None of it.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »
PW is fine, ppl are stupid.

Though PW itself isnt perfect or realistic probably, it cause quite realistic and logical results. You cannt fight with PW like nothing happens, you cannt land like nothing happens. In fact, you should die after you lost consciousness because you will auger before recover, most probable. Remember, our autopilot isnt autopilot actually, pilot adjust trims/controls w/o your attention and if pilot lost consciousness he cannt do it (but in AH he can, its odd i say).

PW's blackout has nothing to landing, speed, range to your base and so on. It just happens over same time, depending on damage done to pilot.

And btw, if you dont like pilot wounds ... DONT GET HIT.
If somebody hit you, its definitely not HTC fault.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
I think the current pilot wound model is fine.  It could be more realistic, sure, but its a good approximation as is, seeing how you will probably want to remove yourself from any fight and get back to base asap if you're wounded, which is the same as what your instinct would be were you to be wounded IRL.  So as far as that goes I think the pilot wound model is a success.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »
OK here's another idea.  How about a very gradual blackout culminating in death.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »
Getting back safely on the runway with a pilot wound isn't insurmountable. Takes some practice insofar as timing goes, but can be done 75% of the time.

Just getting out of combat with a PW is what is hard.  :aok
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
If you think PW is poorly simulated, what can we say about engine damage and its "all or nothing"??
With an engine damaged, with bullets in it, a plane can fly for other 5 mins at full power, firing and turning all the way, even if most  of its oil is on the windscreen.
Maybe this two features could be improved together, but to me the most unrealistic is the one regarding the engine
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 08:12:27 PM »
Amen, Stegor. Forget the pilot wounds, if you want to fix anything fix the engine and aircraft damage models. Engines that run rough and lock up due to coolant failure and damage... Power loss due to damaged cylinders (particularly for twin row radials) would also be fantastic. THAT would be time better spent. A more involved aircraft damage system would be nice too... The visual effect of jammed control surfaces and more dynamic wing damage would be interesting too. I suspect that would take a lot of work, though. In any case PWs are a low priority, I think.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"