Author Topic: The Head-On  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
Re: The Head-On
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 02:55:48 PM »
I think we need a support group...

... like...

HOer's Anonymous

Hi, my name is BaldEagl and I used to HO.  :uhoh
HA HA i used to Ho my first two weeks back when i flew a n1k.But now if a fly a n1k i need to shower after, and the bird i love only has 50 cal's so Ho'ing is what i dont need.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Schlowy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »
I knew a guy he played IL2, he said that there was a 'duel hartman mission'...

Hartman's opening move in the duel: He would come straight at him firing (HO'ing), but doing a spiral / corkscrew move. I've never seen anyone do that in the MA, too hard to aim I guess...
if the BoB is proof the spitty was better, then the Battle of Dieppe is proof the 109 was better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe_Raid
Shane said in game 'oh the nazi kid' referring to me...
Lynx got in it saying 'yawn' and then calling me 'tw@' again...
I got chat

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 02:59:56 PM »
I knew a guy he played IL2, he said that there was a 'duel hartman mission'...

Hartman's opening move in the duel: He would come straight at him firing (HO'ing), but doing a spiral / corkscrew move. I've never seen anyone do that in the MA, too hard to aim I guess...
i have to posible reasons, though they may not be true (1) you run through ammo and hurt your accuracy, some things people cant live without is a 60% accuracy! and (2) you cant get as many kills spraying all your ammo for 1 kill head-on. just how i feel about why you dont see this in the MA :salute
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 03:10:52 PM »
It certainly was..  When attacked from above, do not evade, turn into attacker. Per the man himself Mr. Volke.

Only two main tactics. When attacking from above stay engaged only as long as you can pull lead. Then dive away use superior speed in shallow climb. turn, rinse, repeat. The other is turn into attacker.

No it wasn't ... don't be foolish.

As Krusty pointed out ... the Americans used the "HO", mainly, against planes they knew that had guns that could not "outreach" the M2 .50 cal.

They would fire a stream of .50 cals way before the enemy had them in guns range, but they hardly ever flew, bearing down on their enemy constantly firing until they reached cockpit to cockpit. I don't care who you are and what set of balls you may have, in real life, you don't fly straight into any bullet stream at close range ... unless you have a death wish ... and I will bet the ranch that %99.99999999 of the American pilots wanted to come home eventually.

"When attacked from above, do not evade, turn into attacker." ... Yeah ... turn into him ... that doesn't mean fire nose to nose until you ALMOST collide. Turning into your attacker, which is true in this game too, gives you many more opportunities to setup and/or spoil angles.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 04:05:05 PM »

Turning into your attacker, which is true in this game too, gives you many more opportunities to setup and/or spoil angles.

Very good point Sir! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 04:40:34 PM »
If there is no way out of it and ONLY if the opposing person fires first will I pump out a few rounds.  I will try to avoid the HO whenever the situation arises.

I love it when the enemy will avoid the easy kill and actually dogfight with me.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »

I love it when the enemy will avoid the easy kill and actually dogfight with me.

SAME HERE......
problem is that it's STILL an easy kill if he doesn't ho me, as i'm a 3 year noob :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 04:47:31 PM »
Never post a thread and "expect NO criticism."   Sorry, playing the role of wounded puppy won't fly. 

Wounded puppies only feed the troll :noid

Personally, unless it's an F4U or a P-38, I will HO it. Because I cannot find many good pilots outside of those 2 planes. I have found good fights elsewhere, but most pilots I find worth fighting are in those 2.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2008, 04:54:09 PM »
It wasn't...

It was..... and was taught as a defensive manuver to P-38 pilots vs a Zeke on their 6 because of the 38's fire power.

Bolic's dicta also taught to turn into your attacker.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2008, 04:58:50 PM »
I expect for the enemy to HO me at every possible opportunity and I am rarely suprised.

The HO is all they KNOW.

ROX

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »
It was..... and was taught as a defensive manuver to P-38 pilots vs a Zeke on their 6 because of the 38's fire power.

Bolic's dicta also taught to turn into your attacker.
Correct and wrong.

Correct: The head on WAS taught in certain limited plane matchups.  (i.e. p38 vs. zeke. bombers with no nose gunner etc...)  For the most part this does not apply to flying/fighting in AcesHigh where putting yourself in front of the nme guns is just plain stupid.

Wrong: As was already stated (this thread? other thread?) turning into your attacker isn't advocating a Head On firing pass.  Not sure why you think it means this, but far from it.  It has to do with position.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »
Why is it so popular?

It's fun, especially the whines on 200... BONUS!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Chemdawg

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
think we need a support group...

... like...

HOer's Anonymous

Hi, my name is BaldEagl and I used to HO. 

:lol :lol :lol

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2008, 06:45:34 PM »
Why is it so common?  Well, it is the simplist most basic way to get shots on a target.  Simply point your plane at what you want to hit, and shoot.  Having the other plane turning toward you (and into your guns) makes things that much easier.

As far as being an inefficient way to score kills (50/50 odds at best)- that's actually pretty good odds for a fairly large group out there.  Anyone who has less than a 1/1 K/D is doing worse than 50/50...

Why would someone not take the HO shot?  An "ace" might avoid the HO for several reasons-  

I've been HOd by the uberest pilots multple times--> :rofl I don't think being HOd is the issue, we all expect it from lesser skilled folks, but when the text reads it was someone of skill " as it does far too often " then this is where the contention comes from!  IMHO

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
No it wasn't ... don't be foolish.

As Krusty pointed out ... the Americans used the "HO", mainly, against planes they knew that had guns that could not "outreach" the M2 .50 cal.

LOL  krusty HOs like a 2bit street walker   :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl