Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2008, 07:08:10 AM »
The biggest problem with UAC is that they tried to clone a process that works quite well in the Unix/Linux world and throw it into the Windows environment willy nilly without taking into account two key factors:  The first being that *nix was built from the ground up anticipating that the "super" user would not be "normally" logged in, and the second being that everyone from the newest newb to the most experienced developer knows and anticipates this. 

When I try to run a Linux command that requires root access  - even when I do so through one of the Desktop interfaces - I get prompted before the tool will even run that I need root access.  The developer knows the process requires it, and prompts for it before starting, and even an absolute newb can figure out how to deal with it, and even the most inexeperienced user can pinpoint with near absolute certainty EXACTLY what it is that's asking for permission.

With Vista with UAC enabled, you get cryptic messages that pop up - often times seemingly at random - asking for permission to do something that's so poorly defined that at time even with 25 years of experience in PC technology you're clueless as to exactly what you're being asked to permission and why it popped up, let the 80% of the user base that has less than 20% of the experience.  The developers never expected it, the software doesn't anticipate it, and as a result it does more harm than good in just about the most confusing way possible.

Personally, I think MS did this as a bogus "cover our a**" move because the guys at MS aren't exactly morons and only a moron would expect that the average user could deal effectively with it - trying to get off the hook on a technicality that if the user has to permission a trojan to take over their system then it's not "really" MS's fault that the environment is so open to exploitation.

ALL IMO of course.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2008, 07:49:59 AM »
Yes, but the bigger joke is that UAC only covers the "Program Files" folder.  You can install any software outside of that folder and UAC will not interfere.  As most trojans, viruses, spyware, and/or malware install everywhere but in the "Program Files" folder, it makes UAC even a bigger joke.

Many applications are now simply changing the default installation path to something outside the "Program Files" folder.  Taking us back to the old days in Windows when software used to install all over the place.

Windows was never written to be multi-user and every attempt MS has made to take it there has failed miserably.  UAC simply compaunds the failure with an inept attempt to protect the user from him or her self.

Morons?  I think moronic overtones is appropriate, but "inept" is becoming a word I use more and more often when talking about the direction they are taking the OS.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2008, 11:58:19 AM »
One big difference between *nix and UAC is that UAC prompts you in completely trivial places such as wanting to change a desktop shortcut properties etc.

One good hint with Vista is that the so called 'secure desktop' which makes your computer freeze on every UAC prompt can be disabled making the UAC much less of a pain. Second good hint is to disable the window animation feature - it will save you 0.5 seconds on each click opening windows, closing them etc.

Third hint is - you really don't need Vista for anything so do yourself a favor and stick with XP.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
Sounds like they covered your guys issues........ Read the blog

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/default.aspx
See Rule #6

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2008, 02:40:22 PM »
There is nothing in that entire blog about UAC.  I know for a fact UAC is alive and well in Windows 7.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:43:03 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2008, 03:11:48 PM »
Never mind, I'm not going to say it.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors