Author Topic: Put factories on map, give them their own dars?  (Read 171 times)

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
Put factories on map, give them their own dars?
« on: February 02, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
People are increasingly beginning to question the amazing amount of perk points avaliable for hitting factories (and they're easy to jabo down totally in 2 sorties, so people are getting FIGHTER perks for whacking them too.)

Many casual players (which are probably MOST of the arena, but a small part of the posters on this board)are furballers totally and likely unaware where factories are and that they need to be defended....

However, maps like Snefens new map indicate the location of all of them..

If people saw factories on their in-game map perhaps they'd take more seriously defending them. And if each individual factory had a dar it would increase the chances of an attack being spotted.

If people had to fight their way through, perhaps these perks would be better earned. As it is, even with a fair number of people on-line, it's possible to whack a factory unmolested.

If you're gonna give that many perks for a factory, it really should be something that takes a squad combined-arms op to whack totally.

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2001, 06:51:00 PM »
I don't mind it. It gets people up hitting something other than the bases. It gives incentive to do something other than the HQ and play with some of the other resources on the game.

funked

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2001, 07:36:00 PM »
Put them on the map.

Turn of all inflight AWACS display BS.

Hans

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2001, 05:51:00 PM »
Yes, I want them on the official map too.

I don't understand why they should not be.

Hans.

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2001, 08:27:00 PM »
Well, now that I think about it, the dars are pretty irrelevant.

But there is NOTHING added to gameplay by not having the factories on the map. People who read the BBS or follow series of links will find Snefens new map with all the factory locations. But Joe Blow newbie in the MA hasn't the foggiest idea of where they are, even the factories he has to defend on his own side.

Vapor6

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »

Originally posted by Torgo:
Well, now that I think about it, the dars are pretty irrelevant.

But there is NOTHING added to gameplay by not having the factories on the map. People who read the BBS or follow series of links will find Snefens new map with all the factory locations. But Joe Blow newbie in the MA hasn't the foggiest idea of where they are, even the factories he has to defend on his own side.

That's what I came to the BBs to find out. Didn't find any maps in the Links that had factories (NZRats maps still linked for some reason..no idea why). Where's this Snefens link, anyway? thx

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2001, 04:28:00 PM »
Funked,

The sectors could be made larger while retaining some sort of "activity" bar.

At least it would point one at a "hot spot". I think it wouldn't be too far from what the WW2 pilots had, would it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

funked

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2001, 03:47:00 AM »
Toad, in some limited areas of the world there was GCI.  But there was no AWACS datalink situation display.

GCI would be very easy to implement with a .vector command.  You type in .vector and the GCI responds with the bearing to the nearest bandit that is within altitude and range parameters for friendly radar.

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2001, 07:20:00 AM »

Originally posted by Vapor6:
  That's what I came to the BBs to find out. Didn't find any maps in the Links that had factories (NZRats maps still linked for some reason..no idea why). Where's this Snefens link, anyway? thx
http://home14.inet.tele.dk/snefens/islesmap3.gif

You'll note that there are certain factories (particularly if you're the N or SW country) that almost ALWAYS end up behind "enemy lines" and can be raped almost at will for perkies.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2001, 07:49:00 AM »
Yes, there are other ways, just like with icons. Some of them deserve a try out, with the baseline being that the alternate ideas still provide the information necessary for the vast majority to enjoy the game.

But Funk, with this "buzzword" repetitive approach you are taking you, sound like someone else entirely. It's not your style!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
What funked-up said.