Author Topic: Completed Build (almost) parts list  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Completed Build (almost) parts list
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 03:36:13 PM »
It's not a problem with XP, some motherboards can't handle 4 sticks of ram and some do only if the ram is of a certain type etc.

It's much safer to use only 2 sticks.

This is where I was thinking on my statement.   I apologize for not being more clear.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 01:09:43 AM »
Nhawk it will run fine but 4th stick a waste of money due to xp will not recognize all 4 g. It will recognize 3 of the 4
See Rule #6

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 01:16:01 AM »
xp will only run at i think  max 3328 mb on ram. the rest of the ram is a waste due to the way the memory is mapped out.. Windows XP 32bit will not address more then 3GB of RAM. Read up on the topic. It will show 4g of ram but  1 g is essentially a waste.
See Rule #6

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 07:30:12 AM »
Its my understanding that the ram had to be or I should say "is best installed" installed in pairs. Hence the 4th Gig.

In any event. the machine is together (See the "Its!!!" thread LOL).
Windows is installed. Drivers for the Vid card are installed, Nod32 is installed.
All that needs to be done now is some software odds and ends
And going through the settings turning some things off that the install software for various items want to run in the background I dont need.

From a hardware perspective.
 3 questions

Ok as I had suspected. It sees the Ram as 800.
How do I set the timing for 1066?

Another question.
It sees the CPU at 2.88 ghz
What are the correct settings for it to run at its advertised (on the box) 3.00 ghz?

Hard drive is 750 gig. What would be the most efficient sizes to set the  partitions.?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 09:03:04 AM »
Its my understanding that the ram had to be or I should say "is best installed" installed in pairs. Hence the 4th Gig.

In any event. the machine is together (See the "Its!!!" thread LOL).
Windows is installed. Drivers for the Vid card are installed, Nod32 is installed.
All that needs to be done now is some software odds and ends
And going through the settings turning some things off that the install software for various items want to run in the background I dont need.

From a hardware perspective.
 3 questions

Ok as I had suspected. It sees the Ram as 800.
How do I set the timing for 1066?

In the BIOS, most likely under Advanced Chipset Features or something close to that you should be able to set the RAM bus to 1066.  In another area of the BIOS you will have the ability to manually set RAM timings to manufacturer spec, and under System Voltages, you will be able to set RAM voltage to mfg. spec.

Another question.
It sees the CPU at 2.88 ghz
What are the correct settings for it to run at its advertised (on the box) 3.00 ghz?[/color]

You've got a 1333 FSB/4 = 333.3 CPU bus clock.  2880/333.3 = 8.64 CPU clock multiplyer.  That doesn't seem right as I've never seen a fractional multi.  Make sure you have the FSB set at 1333 (or 333 CPU bus) in the BIOS and that the CPU multiplyer is set at 9 (333.3*9=3000).

Hard drive is 750 gig. What would be the most efficient sizes to set the  partitions.?

Totally up to you.  I'd probably go 250 and 500 but that's just me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:05:00 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 11:05:24 PM »
Ok sorry for the misinfo

CPU frequency is at 2.83 ghz (333x8.5)
::Edit:: after clicking on "load optimized defaults. it saw the CPU at 3.00
Still cant change memory frequency though

Memory frequency is at 800
Latency 5
Dram Ras# to Cas# Delay 5
DRam Ras# Precharge  5
Precharge delay (tRas)  18

Thats copied exactly from my Bios screen as Im looking at it

Anyone else have this board that can explain to me how to get the memory at 1066
And the CPU at 3.0?

Ga-EP35-DS3L

Also. Cant seem to partition the hard drive.
Shows as 0 unallocated free space.

Ok what am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:11:12 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 01:34:29 AM »
Dred,

You can overclock your processor thhrough your bios. You need to raise the frequency or the multiplier. As far as ram, same thing through your bios. My ram is rated at 800 but I get 1066 out of it. You sometimes have to raise the power to your ram to get more out of it. It is risky. 800 should be sufficient and your processor is more than adequate at your settings although you will see a bit of improvement by raising the frequency. From 2.8 to 3.0 is less than 10% faster. You can raise frequency through windows(see link) but when i tried(thru amd software) computer locked up so i did it directly through my bios. It can be risky if you have never done it.

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/19/8
See Rule #6

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 01:37:33 AM »
correct on ram installation dred but no matter how you buy your ram xp will not run the full amount even if you use 4 x 1g ram. It will show 4g but because of the mapping it only uses 3 g. If you use 2 x 2g ram dxdiag and windows will only show 3g available.
See Rule #6

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 07:15:55 AM »
Yes I know I can overclock and change mem in Bios.
The answer I need to know is how?

I paid a few dollars extra to get the 1066 memory. So I'd kinda like to run it at that.

the fact it doesnt initially see it at 1066 isnt surprising as  I've read several accounts of that happening and its not all that uncommon.
but upping it from 800 to 1066 isnt as simple as its supposed to be. Or, I should say. I havent been able to figure out how to do it.
where it says "800" it wont let me change it.

Would the dynamic engery saver software interfere with the settings in bios preventing me from making the changes?
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 09:21:25 AM »
In the BIOS there should be an option for setting clock frequencies between the CPU and RAM.  The options will be something like Auto, Manual and Link.  Set that to Manual. That will open the CPU/RAM clock ratio option which will have choices like Manual, Sync, 1:1, etc.  Set that to manual.  Now it should allow you to re-set the greyed out 800 RAM clock to 1066. 

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »
Can I get a total?  I want to know how much I need to suck up to the wife to get a new comp.
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
Can I get a total?  I want to know how much I need to suck up to the wife to get a new comp.

Try this for an idea:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,244173.0.html

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »
for this particular build. the round about cost. give or take a few dollars is the last line of the first post in this thread

(About $1,000 including the OS and shipping)

BaldEagl. thanks. 'vee give that as shot
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »
ok changed the system memory multiplier  from Auto to 3.20.

which seems to have upped the memory to 1066
At which point some red letters were flashing warning that the system voltage wasnt optimised.
I set the system voltage control from "manual" to "auto" and that seems to have corrected it.

this all sounding about right?

Assuming it is.

Next on the list is getting this hard drive partitioned.

I am guessing since I seem to have 0 unallocated space available. Im going ot have to do a reinstall of XP?
When I did the install I dont remember seeing an option to set partitian size
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty