Author Topic: Who's Kill?  (Read 97 times)

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
Who's Kill?
« on: February 06, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
Been flying since tour 4, so while not a vet, I ain't exactly a newbie.

I have yet been able to come to a rational conclusion as to how some kills are determined/awarded.

EXAMPLE 1: I run across an in progress fight where a countryman is on the six of a con. He has scored some strikes on him,(assumed)but the con is flying solidly, is not smoking, and is not missing any parts. I drop into the fray and the con is obliging enough to fly into my sights and I saw his wing off. I clearly have shot down this plane, yet I'm only awarded an assist.

EXAMPLE 2: A countryman is engaging a buff on the deck, I am 4k over the fight. After the first pass, they are both smoking. I drop down to help but before I can get there another pass is made at the buff, and the buff's wing is detached. I pull up as I'm no longer needed and the buff crashes right under me. Now I haven't fired a shot but I get the kill. The poor guy who really shot the buff down has to try to rtb with more than just his engine smoking. (I'd have to crack the canopy to vent some of the smoke from my ears)

Now I have shot the tail feathers off of a few planes and had some one else come along and shoot them up some more while they are fluttering down, and I've lost the kill. That I can understand as in total, the second shooter probably did more damage to an already unflyable plane. I have no issue which this type of scenario other than to wonder how hungry that other guy really is.

I also understand the manouver/proximity kill, and can fit that into a box in my noggin. But for the life of me, can make no sense of some of it.

Anyone got an appropiate box I can stuff this into?

Thanx...
        Weave

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Who's Kill?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2001, 09:21:00 AM »
Example 1:  Your countryman filled the enemy with lead, but spread it around.  He didn't destroy any obvious parts, but he 90% damaged a whole bunch of 'em.  You put a burst in him and your first burst is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.  He did more damage than you, so he gets the kill.  He who does the most damage gets the kill.  Not he who does the most obvious damage.  

Example 2:  Your countryman is no longer in his plane.  It doesn't show in his icon, but he is sky-diving.  You can only get a kill if you are still in your airplane.  So, when the buff dies (it crashes) or the pilot bails, you are closest so you get a maneuver kill.

Make sense?

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 02-07-2001).]

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
Who's Kill?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
Weave closes the final box, seals in with liberal amounts of tape, and packs it away.

Thanx Lep!

Weave